Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:19:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocksteam side chain released  (Read 4740 times)
RKing

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 07:49:41 AM

Will the token used by side chain dilute the value of bitcoin?
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2015, 08:17:22 AM

What are you talking about? Of course not. This is not going to harm the value of Bitcoin.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:21:46 AM

No. There is no new token, their "token" is Bitcoin.

And if you had doubts about that, it's good that you asked because maybe some people are against this for that reason. It's an important feature of this that they won't be diluting anything with their own tokens that they'd sell. Their financing is not tied to the system in any way, which is very important IMO - they have a separate consultancy contract.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
RKing

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:34:11 AM

And if you had doubts about that, it's good that you asked because maybe some people are against this for that reason. It's an important feature of this that they won't be diluting anything with their own tokens that they'd sell. Their financing is not tied to the system in any way, which is very important IMO - they have a separate consultancy contract.

As long as they do not use own token, it is good. They will earn money by subscription such as Mastercard does.
QUEDOS

Activity: 37

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 06:26:57 PM

My criticism of sidechains is based purely on them being to convoluted and complex, and also there's the fact that the door is left open for bitcoins to be lost on sidechains which of course would reflect badly on Bitcoin, and be used by the media to launch another tirade of negative propaganda

Also, if the overall goal is for exchanges to become more transparent, then these same exchanges being able to use such a sidechain achieves the opposite. Transparency will bring many obvious advantages for bitcoin
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 06:46:27 PM

My criticism of sidechains is based purely on them being to convoluted and complex, and also there's the fact that the door is left open for bitcoins to be lost on sidechains which of course would reflect badly on Bitcoin, and be used by the media to launch another tirade of negative propaganda

Also, if the overall goal is for exchanges to become more transparent, then these same exchanges being able to use such a sidechain achieves the opposite. Transparency will bring many obvious advantages for bitcoin

VeritasSapere

I think you logged into the wrong account.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 06:51:56 PM

sounds like bitinstant 2.0

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Preclus

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 07:14:23 PM

Sidechains are described in this way:

"The sidechains ideas is this.. Send your Bitcoins to a specially formed Bitcoin address. The address is specially designed so that the coins will now be out of your control… and out of the control of anybody else either."

further on, they are described like this:

"If the second blockchain has agreed to be a Bitcoin sidechain, it now does something really special… it creates the exact same number of tokens on its own network and gives you control of them."

After sending your bitcoin to a "specially formed Bitcoin address", what do you own? A bitcoin? A token?
brg444

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 07:26:06 PM

"The sidechains ideas is this.. Send your Bitcoins to a specially formed Bitcoin address. The address is specially designed so that the coins will now be out of your control… and out of the control of anybody else either."

"If the second blockchain has agreed to be a Bitcoin sidechain, it now does something really special… it creates the exact same number of tokens on its own network and gives you control of them."

After sending your bitcoin to a "specially formed Bitcoin address", what do you own? A bitcoin? A token?

To be fair you own a token whose value is cryptographically pegged to its equivalent in Bitcoin.

While it isn't factually true to say that the units being moved around sidechains are bitcoins the arrangement makes it so that the scarcity of the ledger is preserved and the amount of tradeable units within the ecosystem remains the same.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
RKing

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:25:45 AM

To be fair you own a token whose value is cryptographically pegged to its equivalent in Bitcoin.

While it isn't factually true to say that the units being moved around sidechains are bitcoins the arrangement makes it so that the scarcity of the ledger is preserved and the amount of tradeable units within the ecosystem remains the same.

So one token = one bitcoin?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:05:18 AM

this can be tweaked based on the token and sidechain itself, but what i'm seeing that it would be bad, is the time you waste by doing an addditional step

i mean you need first to send the bitcoin to the other chain, then from that other chain you need to spend those token that match those bitcoin...

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 07:15:45 PM

100% reserve tokens.

I said the tokens are bitcoins because effectively they are in value. It's like saying 100% reserve silver dollars are only dollars when they are physical.

forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:30:17 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/blockstream-commercial-sidechain-bitcoin-exchanges/

Whaddya think?  Kinda cool that exchanges can settle off chain but should we be concerned about centralization?

It would fulfill my prediction that when Bitcoin achieves a realistic scaling solution (in this case, subordinate chains) that the price would rise.  Of course I cannot know with certainty that the good price performance over the last month is attributable to this first-cut proof of concept, but I had expected such a rise in conjunction with it.  Hopefully it will be the start of a new leg up, and hopefully the next leg up will take us into the $5000-$10,000/btc range.  If so, it would be worth the wait for me.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
brg444

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:36:07 PM

100% reserve tokens.

I said the tokens are bitcoins because effectively they are in value. It's like saying 100% reserve silver dollars are only dollars when they are physical.

Yet it's much better than 100% reserve dollars which have clear trust & legal implications.

PolarPoint

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:44:29 PM

I sort of trust the pegging system but I am still loosing control of my bitcoin for control of some sidechain alt. Traders will like blockstream because they can send coins to exchanges much quicker. There is still not much use for normal bitcoin users.
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 09:51:49 PM

I don't understand your critique. How is your Bitcoin going to get lost exactly?
I guess it's a bit like putting your Bitcoin in an altcoin. If you put your Bitcoin in an altcoin, you are basically making an investing, and investment means risk. Maybe the altcoin is a failure, and there are no nodes to move your money back to Bitcoin. This can happen to with a sidechain that ends up a failure. I don't see this being a technical mistake, but a financial one on one's part.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:46:52 PM

100% reserve tokens.

Yet it's much better than 100% reserve dollars which have clear trust & legal implications.

I understand that, but as far as analogies go it's not bad. Maybe the most realistic way to introduce it so people don't fall for the hurr durrr permissioned chains nonsense.

brg444

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:50:04 PM

100% reserve tokens.

I understand that, but as far as analogies go it's not bad. Maybe the most realistic way to introduce it so people don't fall for the hurr durrr permissioned chains nonsense.

+1

I've long said sidechains will be Bitcoin's equivalent paper money

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: