Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:16:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocksteam side chain released  (Read 4739 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:09:28 PM

This will reduce the pressure on the main chain.

yeah while helping those that made the chain, to milk the initial amount of coins, and be magically early adopter, to dump later

this is the real definition of quick buck scam, that was running in the alt section for year, d we really need to repeat it another time, in disguise?

There is no such thing as "initial coins"

Seeing how dumb what you just said is I'm guessing you are speaking from experience when referring to scams.

the coins that will be issued when you launch a sidechain, should be the same as any altcoin, but they are worthless

they create you a numbers of coins(tokesn), when you send bitcoin to those chains

i imagine that some chain could begin with some of those coins already ready, a sort of premining

Exactly, so in the case of Liquid, units on the sidechains only get created if there is a BTC collateral. As such, any coin on the Liquid sidechain is worth its exact equivalent in Bitcoin.

So how exactly do you propose this creates an opportunity for "early adopters" to "milk the initial amount of coins"?

then they were spreading false info, because i've read about that here, from a forum member, maybe he was an heater

if this how they actually work, then i'm fine with them
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:15:28 PM

yeah while helping those that made the chain, to milk the initial amount of coins, and be magically early adopter, to dump later

this is the real definition of quick buck scam, that was running in the alt section for year, d we really need to repeat it another time, in disguise?

Seeing how dumb what you just said is I'm guessing you are speaking from experience when referring to scams.

the coins that will be issued when you launch a sidechain, should be the same as any altcoin, but they are worthless

they create you a numbers of coins(tokesn), when you send bitcoin to those chains

i imagine that some chain could begin with some of those coins already ready, a sort of premining

Exactly, so in the case of Liquid, units on the sidechains only get created if there is a BTC collateral. As such, any coin on the Liquid sidechain is worth its exact equivalent in Bitcoin.

So how exactly do you propose this creates an opportunity for "early adopters" to "milk the initial amount of coins"?

then they were spreading false info, because i've read about that here, from a forum member, maybe he was an heater

Don't get me wrong, you could actually create a sidechain with pre-mined coins but that would be the equivalent of launching an alt-coin. It isn't something new that sidechains enable.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:16:06 PM

It sounds like a permissioned Couterparty for now.
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:20:58 PM

Don't get me wrong, you could actually create a sidechain with pre-mined coins but that would be the equivalent of launching an alt-coin. It isn't something new that sidechains enable.

I guess we will never know if its not transparent.

brg444

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:36:15 PM

Unless you are suggesting a multitude of different companies collude to create a fractional reserve, which is not impossible, I think that's highly unlikely considering these schemes tend to turn ugly pretty quickly and come around to bite them in the ass. Moreover it needs to be mentioned that only the amount of Bitcoin that was moved to the sidechain can be moved back to the mainchain therefore this carries no inflationary risk for Bitcoin itself.

Exchanges are generally not transparent as it is already so Liquid certainly does not make the problem worst.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2015, 01:40:36 PM

Correct. I believe the right term is "two way peg". A lost of people don't understand it or think they do but they don't. This is what is causing misconception. This does not benefit anyone unfairly when talking about "early adopters" or whatever. Actually if this properly works there should be minor disadvantages or none.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
brg444

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:51:35 PM

Tried to find good point from side chain, but give up after saw this : "paying an undisclosed monthly subscription fee"
Not transparent, centralized & have to pay monthly subscription fee. Why should we use it, unless if we really need to send bitcoin instanly?

It's good solution to fix long waiting time, but i hope it could be more transparent & cheap

Is it so hard to understand this product is not addressed to consumers and regular users!?

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:54:57 PM

Unless you are suggesting a multitude of different companies collude to create a fractional reserve, which is not impossible, I think that's highly unlikely considering these schemes tend to turn ugly pretty quickly and come around to bite them in the ass.

You mean like the whole legacy banking system? What is biting them in the ass exactly? Creating money out of thin air is far more appealing than you might think even if it carries a lot of risks.

Moreover it needs to be mentioned that only the amount of Bitcoin that was moved to the sidechain can be moved back to the mainchain therefore this carries no inflationary risk for Bitcoin itself.

That's what banks said when they started their gold vaults in exchange of paper IOUs...

brg444

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 01:57:56 PM

Unless you are suggesting a multitude of different companies collude to create a fractional reserve, which is not impossible, I think that's highly unlikely considering these schemes tend to turn ugly pretty quickly and come around to bite them in the ass.

You mean like the whole legacy banking system? What is biting them in the ass exactly? Creating money out of thin air is far more appealing than you might think even if it carries a lot of risks.

Moreover it needs to be mentioned that only the amount of Bitcoin that was moved to the sidechain can be moved back to the mainchain therefore this carries no inflationary risk for Bitcoin itself.

That's what banks said when they started their gold vaults in exchange of paper IOUs...

Look, if you don't understand sidechains I suggest you go read about them and come back once you've got the basics down.

The monetary base of Bitcoin cannot be inflated by sidechains. The difference with gold is that you can cryptographically verify Bitcoin reserves.

jonald_fyookball (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:00:31 PM

Tried to find good point from side chain, but give up after saw this : "paying an undisclosed monthly subscription fee"
Not transparent, centralized & have to pay monthly subscription fee. Why should we use it, unless if we really need to send bitcoin instanly?

It's good solution to fix long waiting time, but i hope it could be more transparent & cheap

well, we have to assume the exchanges are using it because they choose to.  No one is forcing them.
Perhaps its easier to settle than using Bitcoin. 

Maybe they find it less cluttering and easier to manage than the main chain.

I have no problem with it as long as people have a choice and its not used to justify keeping blocksize limited.

brg444

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:05:00 PM

well, we have to assume the exchanges are using it because they choose to.  No one is forcing them.

I have no problem with it as long as people have a choice and its not used to justify keeping blocksize limited.

+1

It's nice to see you take a reasonable stance for once

knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Indeed but it is also clearer now why the blocksize is being kept limited.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:38:35 PM

It's not clear to me why the Bitcoin blocksize would make any difference at all with respect to Liquidity.  Can you explain?

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:42:07 PM

ah well here we go, it was what i was talking about, this was the problem, there won't be anything from stopping someone in doing this, and maybe even success with it like it was with some altcoin

while he can have his instamined crap sidechain coins
brg444

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:48:37 PM

ah well here we go, it was what i was talking about, this was the problem, there won't be anything from stopping someone in doing this, and maybe even success with it like it was with some altcoin

Again, what is the difference with any other altcoins? How do sidechains make the problem worst?

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 02:53:36 PM

Again, what is the difference with any other altcoins? How do sidechains make the problem worst?

it wasn't that my point, my point was that it simply brings more garbage altcoin, even near to bitcoin, how this is a good thing?
brg444

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 03:01:36 PM

it wasn't that my point, my point was that it simply brings more garbage altcoin, even near to bitcoin, how this is a good thing?

Altcoins are usually created under the pretense of offering an important or desirable feature not possible under Bitcoin.

With sidechains it will eventually be possible to offer these features without having to bootstrap a new currency.

Different sidechains will compete on the marketplace and those that leverage Bitcoin's scarcity and liquidity will come out as obvious winners against altcoins offering the same features but using a new, inflationary currency.

Consider two sidechains that offers the same feature: privacy. Any sane person will prefer the one that recognizes the existing value of their holdings and does not require them to speculate on a new, volatile, currency.

xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1063
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 03:02:03 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2015, 03:14:04 PM by xyzzy099

well, we have to assume the exchanges are using it because they choose to.  No one is forcing them.

It's not clear to me why the Bitcoin blocksize would make any difference at all with respect to Liquidity.  Can you explain?

By letting the blocks getting bloated which will gives incentives for businesses to move to their lucrative centralized solutions. Liquid being the first of many.

Liquid is an alternative to the already-centralized private databases of the exchanges.  The block size has nothing to do with it at all.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 03:11:45 PM

If only they could do the same for fiat.
knight22
Legendary

--------------->¿?

View Profile
October 14, 2015, 03:15:37 PM

well, we have to assume the exchanges are using it because they choose to.  No one is forcing them.

It's not clear to me why the Bitcoin blocksize would make any difference at all with respect to Liquidity.  Can you explain?

By letting the blocks getting bloated which will gives incentives for businesses to move to their lucrative centralized solutions. Liquid being the first of many.

Liquid is an alternative to the already-centralized private databases of the exchanges.  The block size has nothing to do with it at all.

It has a lot to do when their business model is to make profits by driving transactions to their centralized services.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: