Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:54:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need to be online to receive bitcoins  (Read 841 times)
jintau30 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 09:21:11 AM

I am using a bitcoin client and a wallet from it. What if I close the client? Will I still receive the bitcoins sent to my address?
lile

Activity: 41

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 09:25:26 AM

Yes, of course. It wouldn't be very convenient otherwise. You can even go one step further, print the private key to paper and delete it from your computer, and you would still be able to get to all bitcoins that would eventually appear on the address.

To clarify a bit, there is no such thing as "bitcoins being sent to an address", per se. Bitcoins are there for the taking by everyone who has the appropriate private key.
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2012, 01:13:10 PM

I just want to expand a bit on lile's post so that you have a better understanding of this system. The tracking of your bitcoins in your address is done by everyone. The peer to peer network copies the coins out to every node, so the fact that they have their computer on is what records your coins. They are sitting out there in the system, and you can go see them at blockchain.info and other places without turning on your client.

What you client and your wallet allow you to do is spend the coins. You can't send out a transaction saying "give coins from X address to Y address" without your computer being on the internet and connected to other bitcoin nodes.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 05:24:54 PM

No bitcoins are stored in wallets. Wallets contain the private keys that allow you to spend the bitcoins associated with those keys, nothing more. All bitcoins are stored in the block chain, though "stored" is not really the right word.

For example, here is how a paper wallet works: you generate a private key, and you print it on a piece of paper. That's it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
jintau30 (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
October 27, 2012, 10:31:02 PM

Thanks a lot with a followup question.

I suppose I can have any number of private keys with coins in each address. Is that a standard practice - split up money into multiple wallets to reduce the risk of loss?

Also once I use the BTC in a wallet I can essentially disregard the private key right?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:29:06 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2012, 03:01:58 AM by odolvlobo

I suppose I can have any number of private keys with coins in each address. Is that a standard practice - split up money into multiple wallets to reduce the risk of loss?

I don't think it is standard practice for most people to do that to reduce risk. Companies with a large amount of BTC do it to protect themselves because they are targets. However, you might have several wallets and several keys just for convenience.

Edit: removed some misleading information

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3061

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 02:46:15 AM

Also once I use the BTC in a wallet I can essentially disregard the private key right?

You can, but most people maintain one or more keys for convenience. For example, the one in my signature is the first one I got, but I also have separate keys for receiving BTC from different sources, as a simple form of bookkeeping or to verify that a specific transaction took place. The hidden keys that your wallet uses are discarded when the money they contain has been transferred out.
Not true. The standard client never deletes previously used keys automatically under any circumstances and has no built-in way to do so manually, and with good reason. Once a key is deleted, if somebody sends coins to that address in the future, those coins effectively disappear forever, and there is no way to ever get them unless you happen to have a backup copy of the key lying around somewhere. And don't think that because an address is hidden in the client, nobody will ever try to send coins to you that way: a common (but dangerous, for unrelated reasons) method of performing a refund is to send the coins back to the address they came from. If you've deleted the key to that address, then your coins are gone forever. Don't even think about trying to delete private keys from your wallet without a damn good reason. Nothing good will come of it.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
mpx

Activity: 14

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 12:24:40 PM

I am using a bitcoin client and a wallet from it. What if I close the client? Will I still receive the bitcoins sent to my address?

yes you'll 'receive' them, they'll sit in the blockchain allocated to your address until the private key from your wallet is used to move them. Don't delete your private key, of course...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 12:27:17 PM

in b4 "do i need to be online to receive email?"

Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 03:04:42 AM

in b4 "do i need to be online to receive email?"

This isn't really a fair comparison, because bitcoin is peer to peer and email is client-server. To receive email, the SMTP server that is associated to your email domain does need to be running. For bitcoin, the entire network would have to be down before coins couldn't be sent.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:03:16 AM

They are similar, in the sense that the bitcoin network (nodes) are the server. For email, it is centralized to whatever you are using, such as yahoo or google or your local ISP.

For all practical purposes, you will receive email where ever you are, but you won't read it until you open it. Same with bitcoins, but you can't spend them until your client gives the instructions to the other nodes (or is online.)

The client and the other nodes do some checking, so you can't spend what you don't have.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: