Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:08:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to Bitcoin - Having some issues  (Read 1149 times)
snarfsnarf (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 02:09:29 AM

Hello! I am not sure if this is the right place for this but i will give it a shot anyways. I use Electrum as my wallet and today i made a purchase from a bitcoin atm machine locally and then transfered the coins into my electrum wallet. The problem that i am having now is for some reason my wallet is showing that i have an insane balance and i have no idea where my bitcoins that i purchased with cash through the atm went and its saying that i have a balance of 597.34327 mbtc which i have no idea where it came from. I still have the receipt from the purchase from the ATM and am just trying to figure out what happened to the 0.60210145 that i purchased. Thank you and if that makes no sense please feel free to ask me anything to clarify the issue. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 02:24:13 AM

Hello! I am not sure if this is the right place for this but i will give it a shot anyways. I use Electrum as my wallet and today i made a purchase from a bitcoin atm machine locally and then transfered the coins into my electrum wallet. The problem that i am having now is for some reason my wallet is showing that i have an insane balance and i have no idea where my bitcoins that i purchased with cash through the atm went and its saying that i have a balance of 597.34327 mbtc which i have no idea where it came from. I still have the receipt from the purchase from the ATM and am just trying to figure out what happened to the 0.60210145 that i purchased. Thank you and if that makes no sense please feel free to ask me anything to clarify the issue. 

I'm assuming there must have been fees and it's own just a little.  But convert it from mbtc to btc - http://youmeandbtc.com/bitcoin-converter/convert-btc-mbtc-bits-satoshis-usd/

It is right around what you are thinking.  Was the .60... after or before ATM fees?   
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 02:26:04 AM

Sounds like you've got your decimals mixed up. mBtc is a smaller unit. Did you buy 0.602 BTC? That's 602 mBtc. Your wallet is displaying in mBTC.
snarfsnarf (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 02:34:14 AM

Wow....yeah that makes sense now, and boy do i feel dumb haha, i figured it out, but thanks for the help!
CrimBit

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 02:36:44 AM

i think you forget about "fee" transfer or "fee" buy Smiley
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 04:53:50 AM

Wow....yeah that makes sense now, and boy do i feel dumb haha, i figured it out, but thanks for the help!

Not a problem!  Glad you did not loose  any money from ATM purchase.

With being new I will teach you one more thing Smiley.  Go to bottom left of thread and click on close.  That will lock the thread where we don't see answers for the next few day's pop it up.
Revelation Machine

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 10:53:15 AM

You can change electrum to display the balance in BTC.
Tools -> Preference -> Base unit : Change it to BTC
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2015, 03:09:53 PM

switch to bits

1 Bitcoin = 1 Mio bits

in your case: 602.000 bits

CryptoTrout

Activity: 706

https://twitter.com/CryptoTrout

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2015, 08:22:48 PM

The difference is probably the ATM fee, a bitcoin transaction fee should not be that high.

Congrats on getting started with bitcoin and choosing electrum rather than an online wallet.  Stay secure!
foxkyu

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 06:26:03 PM

Looks like it was normal. Just remember this in advance.

1 BTC = 100 000 000 Satoshi
1 BTC = 1000 mBTC (millibitcoin)
1 mBTC = 100,000 Satoshi
1 μBTC (microbitcoin) = 100 Satoshi
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 10:37:48 AM

1 mBTC = 100,000 Satoshi

i know this but no one will ever use mBTC, μBTC  etc.

bits is pretty perfect in my view.

Astargath

Activity: 1624
Merit: 645

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:41:36 AM

1 mBTC = 100,000 Satoshi

But most people actually do use mBTC.

\\\\\...COIN.....
...CURB...
         ▄▄▄████████████▄▄▄
      ▄██████████████████████▄
    ▄█████▀▀▀          ▀▀▀█████▄
   ████▀      █████▄▄       ▀████
  ████        ██   ▀██        ████
 ████         ██    ██         ████
▐███▌         ██▄▄▄██▀         ▐███▌
▐███▌         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▐███▌
▐███▌         ████████         ▐███▌
 ████            ██            ████
  ████           ██           ████
   ████▄         ██         ▄████
    ▀█████▄▄▄          ▄▄▄█████▀
      ▀██████████████████████▀
         ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀
........NEWS, UPDATES, & ICO'S........
...FROM ALL THE PROJECTS YOU LOVE...
▄▄█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████▀     ██  ██  ██     ▀██▀     ██      ██     ▀██  ██     ▀██     █████████████
█████████████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████▄    ▀██  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██▄    ▀██  ██████  ▀▀  ██  ██  ▀▀  ██     █████████████
█████████████████  ██  ██  ██  ██  ██████  ██  ██████  ▄  ▀██  ██  ██  ██  ████████████████
█████████████     ▄██▄    ▄██  ▀▀ ▄██     ▄██      ██  ██  ██  ██  ▀▀ ▄██     █████████████
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███               ███
▐██   ▐█▄   ▄███▄   ██▌
██▌    ███▄██████▀  ▐██
██▌    ▐████████    ▐██
▐██     ▐██████     ██▌
 ███   ▀█████▀     ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀

▄▄█████████▄▄
   ▄███▀▀     ▀▀███▄
  ███             ███
 ███   ▄██████▀▄   ███
▐██   ████▀▀▀████   ██▌
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
██▌   ███ ███ ███   ▐██
▐██   ████▄▄▄████   ██▌
 ███   ▀███████▀   ███
  ███             ███
   ▀███▄▄     ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀█████████▀▀
/////
Aggressor66

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:51:17 AM

Don’t know how to convert uBTC to mBTC or mBTC to BTC and vice versa, this simple calculator might help  Wink

http://satoshi.24ex.com/
foxkyu

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:44:41 PM

1 mBTC = 100,000 Satoshi

Not really. There is  still many people use mBTC, μBTC, etc. Especially in faucet type.

But in my perception i'm still familiar with mBTC, μBTC , rather than bits.
confirmation120

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:13:06 PM

1 mBTC = 100,000 Satoshi

Not really. There is  still many people use mBTC, μBTC, etc. Especially in faucet type.

But in my perception i'm still familiar with mBTC, μBTC , rather than bits.

I always use mbtc makes it simple for me.
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 04:01:36 PM

Now a days people started using a new notation bits. 1 bits =100 satoshi.
Xapo users must be familiar with bits notation usage. Electrum has options to set your prices along with bits options.
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1007

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:54:06 AM

Yes it is a pretty misleading but yes we have a unit system for bitcoin:

1 BITCOIN =1 BITCOIN

1 mBTC = 0.001 BTC  (2 zeros)

1 μBTC =  0.000001 BTC  (5 zeros)

1 satoshi = 0.00000001 BTC (7 zeros)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: