Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:29:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously? "WARNING: This user is a newbie.."  (Read 4674 times)
Unstoppable (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 04:25:46 AM

So I sent someone private message and I saw this message attached on the top:

"!!! WARNING: This user is a newbie. If you are expecting a message from a more veteran member, then this is an imposter !!!"

https://i.imgur.com/trRB63G.png

I don't know guys but this isn't welcoming and definitely someone who receive messages from newbies here might not take it seriously. Are we fighting with spammy accounts here? There are other ways to deal with it.

Let's come up with solution better than this Smiley

Thanks to the hundreds of newbie scam attempts before you.

Also, you might have noticed, your image is not working, but ours are. That is to discourage the newbie spam attempts with garbage images.

As soon as your activity crosses 15, you'll be able to get rid of these problems known as Newbie Restrictions.

I thought that the newbies restrictions would be lifted when the user reaches 30 activity, not 15. Or when a newbie is promocted to Jn member

Well this guy only made 3 posts in almost 2 years. At this rate he would not get out of Newbie for another 8 years. If he has nothing to say, should he really be forced to make empty posts? Maybe the wording should be less dramatic.

True - simply because I am not frequent here and since I know my logins there is no point for me to open new account.

I will simply try to get my comment/post counter up a bit and hopefully this message go away Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 05:38:25 AM

I like it. In fact I welcome any changes that reduce the number of scammers or scams on here.
darknessdr

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 06:40:52 AM

it is totally fine the way it is.
TriggerX

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 07:30:14 AM

I remember a couple of people auctioned for the advertisement spaces here on the forum. Someone would create a username fairly similar to theymos and then email the auctioners that "they had won" the auction and to send their BTC to their address. Adding this will minimize the chance of getting scammed.

Hi!
mark coins

Activity: 910

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 08:04:06 AM

I remember a couple of people auctioned for the advertisement spaces here on the forum. Someone would create a username fairly similar to theymos and then email the auctioners that "they had won" the auction and to send their BTC to their address. Adding this will minimize the chance of getting scammed.

if i remember correctly, that is the main reason on why they added the warning message in newbie's PM.
Unstoppable (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 08:31:48 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2015, 10:07:47 AM by Unstoppable

Well, if you do business here its a common sense you would like to check the person beforehand. "This user is a newbie" huge text indeed reminds people about it but don't you think it might be a complete turnoff? I don't think admins here tracks reply rate of personal messages from newbies but I won't be surprised if the reply rate is very low due to this red, bold text. This is my main concern.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2015, 08:52:12 AM

You'd be surprised how many people fall for it. Thse types of scams made away with at least 15k that I know of, probably more that I don't know of.

It's not a big deal, get over it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
jacee
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 10:33:48 AM

Well, if you do business here its a common sense you would like to check the person beforehand. "This user is a newbie" huge text indeed reminds people about it but don't you think it might be a complete turnoff? I don't think admins here tracks reply rate of personal messages from newbies but I won't be surprised if the reply rate is very low due to this red, bold text. This is my main concern.

Let's just put it this way, people here are literate enough to understand why there is a warning and lliterate enough not to complain about it. Get over it. Wink
Hugroll

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 12:48:23 PM

doesnt really sound fair to new fair users. how about for a solution we do this: that warning only gets sent once to a person that the newbie is pming with? like they only get the message the first time
Unstoppable (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:18:42 PM

You'd be surprised how many people fall for it. Thse types of scams made away with at least 15k that I know of, probably more that I don't know of.

Let's just put it this way, people here are literate enough to understand why there is a warning and lliterate enough not to complain about it. Get over it. Wink

wat

https://i.imgur.com/9snHyfC.jpg

doesnt really sound fair to new fair users. how about for a solution we do this: that warning only gets sent once to a person that the newbie is pming with? like they only get the message the first time

Hugroll is right, one reminder attached to first message is enough. But if every next message looks like this, you really appear like a scammer to other members.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:20:54 PM

that's interesting, 15k in $ or bitcoin, because there is a big difference, it could compete with some major thief that stole big amount of coin on famous exchange
jacee
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:24:02 PM

Hugroll is right, one reminder attached to first message is enough. But if every next message looks like this, you really appear like a scammer to other members.

Get over it bro, it only takes a month to reach jr. member so if you want to remove that warning message, wait until you turn jr.
Unstoppable (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:27:07 PM

Let's come up with solution better than this Smiley

Go on then. What do you suggest as a solution? The warning is there because impersonation by newbs of higher ranked members was becoming rife and they had actually been successful in scamming people. Since this warning was put into place I don't believe there's been a single successful scam this way so it works.

See my message again.
Triple

Activity: 847
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:29:29 PM

Lol. It's just a simple warning to members. It won't hurt any interaction so I don't see the problem with it. It only makes sense to warn people when trading with a new member.

Available for Rent - 25 Posts $100/Week. PM me
Unstoppable (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:33:55 PM

Get over it bro, it only takes a month to reach jr. member so if you want to remove that warning message, wait until you turn jr.

Chill. If you followed the topic you know I have been here for 2 years. So how does it work? Are you turning into Jr with a time or with an activity where you are actually logged in?

The quickest way I see it is to pass some certain amount of comments/posts.
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:39:05 PM

Chill. If you followed the topic you know I have been here for 2 years. So how does it work? You are tuning into Jr with a time or with an activity where you are actually logged in?

The 30 days is the minimum it takes to get to Jr member, in one activity period(14 days) you can get 14 activity points and if you do not post in time period those are forever lost(for you)
Edit: About 30 days being the least amount of days, actually you can be a Jr member in 29 days to be exact, if you post in monday just before the activity period resets.
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:40:15 PM

Chill. If you followed the topic you know I have been here for 2 years. So how does it work? You are tuning into Jr with a time or with an activity where you are actually logged in?

why is this such a big deal to you?

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
jacee
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:41:51 PM

If you have really been here for two years then you do know that the activity is not about how many post you make here. It's about the time you spent in the forum, with accordance to the 14 activity every 14 days. Wink
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 03:24:21 PM

I understand how you feel OP, but you have to understand that the forum is designed to keep people aware that the scam can be waiting for them behind every corner. Most of the scams are done exactly by the newbies, like PayPal buying scams, etc..

Don't take this personal, we all had to go through this, remember this.
Unstoppable (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 03:35:48 PM

I understand how you feel OP, but you have to understand that the forum is designed to keep people aware that the scam can be waiting for them behind every corner. Most of the scams are done exactly by the newbies, like PayPal buying scams, etc..

Don't take this personal, we all had to go through this, remember this.

Ya man. Solution suggested already, up to admins what they will gonna do. I will deal with it either this or that.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: