Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 08:23:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Paypal  (Read 1967 times)
Be-Aware (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2015, 01:03:37 PM

Being new(ish) to bitcoin, I've noticed it MUCH harder to sell products online and accept bitcoin as a form of payment. Paypal sales are steady and people tend to rather use paypal than bitcoin to buy things. (in my exp anyway)

I wish bitcoin could somehow figure a (buyer/seller protection) like paypal. It's alot of work sending items to escrows/ waiting for them to get the item/ then them sending item to buyer etc.

I may be totally out there on this,lol also sorry if i don't make much sense either. Sometimes its hard to type what i'm really thinking,lol
mexxer-2

Activity: 924
Merit: 1005

4 Mana 7/7

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 01:12:33 PM

Being new(ish) to bitcoin, I've noticed it MUCH harder to sell products online and accept bitcoin as a form of payment. Paypal sales are steady and people tend to rather use paypal than bitcoin to buy things. (in my exp anyway)

I wish bitcoin could somehow figure a (buyer/seller protection) like paypal. It's alot of work sending items to escrows/ waiting for them to get the item/ then them sending item to buyer etc.

I may be totally out there on this,lol also sorry if i don't make much sense either. Sometimes its hard to type what i'm really thinking,lol
Paypal is a payment gateway while bitcoin is meant to be a "invention" which later got a price tagged along. Anyway coming back to topic:
1) It has become simple for merchants to use bitcoin as a payment system due to emergence of services like BitPay .
2) BitCoin is used more often in trades rather than for buying things, it has still yet to catch up .
3) If "buyer's protection" was done it would be the same case as : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1195135.0 and you can see how so many people disagree on it. Bitcoin is a decentralized currency anyway, so its not possible.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 01:22:12 PM

Buyer protection is certainly something that's really easy with PP but complicated with BTC.
However, I think the main reason for the discrepancy is the difference in numbers between Paypal users versus bitcoin users.
It's just very predictable that when only 1% of your shop users have bitcoins, the maximum percentage of sales with bitcoin will be 1% (it might be less, because many bitcoin users also have Paypal and might prefer to use it due to the buyer protection).

But your escrow point is valid, too.
Using escrow is currently difficult because buyer and seller need to agree on an escrow that both trust, which can take some time for a first time buyer.
It would probably be faster if escrow providers were more widely known and trusted, so that your shop's checkout page could just offer escrow with 3 or 5 escrow providers that you trust, and the buyer would recognize at least two of them as trustworthy and select one of them, just as he could select between different payment options. In addition, buyer would need to securely communicate with escrow without seller being able to "impersonate" a trustworthy escrow.

All of this infrastructure needs to be set up and needs to be accepted by buyers. Huge payment providers have much more incentive (and much more spendable money) to build and promote such infrastructure. If we want this to happen in bitcoin-land, we (or rather escrow providers together with shop owners) should get together to implement and promote such an infrastructure.

Onkel Paul

JeWay

Activity: 952
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 15, 2015, 03:37:35 PM

Well, do you ever heard about BitPay.
This is a global bitcoin payment service provider that offer the world's fastest and safest payment option.
Be-Aware (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2015, 03:42:11 PM

This is a global bitcoin payment service provider that offer the world's fastest and safest payment option.

Yes I signed up for bitpay. I can accept BTC as payments however still doesn't help the whole escrow thing.
confirmation120

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:14:25 PM

Yes I signed up for bitpay. I can accept BTC as payments however still doesn't help the whole escrow thing.

If you gain enough trust on the forums escorw wont be needed.
anthonycamp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:18:18 PM

be carfull with btc and paypal theres like 30% scams too... i just warning the trades need escrow even into localbitcoins and stuff even like pp2btc and btc2pp
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 01:33:01 PM

For selling items via PayPal, Ebay is good as they offer a seller protection but for converting BTC to PayPal, there are very few trusted websites these exchanges and many use Virwox or Localbitcoins. It's advised not to use this forum for PP exchanges as everyday there are chargeback scams that happen. Escrows aren't going to help you in case there's a chargeback.

Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 03:59:02 PM

Bitcoin and paypal co-ordination would boost bitcoin exchange as paypal currently presence in many country with direct bank deposit options. Whereas Payza allows users to fund accounts directly with bitcoin, if paypal starts like that then many people would find a easier way to sell their bitcoin.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:03:31 PM

Because its easier and faster to use paypal, easier user experience, still bitcoin is so much better store of value and easier in specific sales areas.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:34:46 PM

OP, check this out - https://openbazaar.org/

This is a concerted attempt to make a Bitcoin only marketplace with protections built in. It's not live yet and I really don't know how big it'll be, until there are smartphone apps and it's accessible through a browser I really can't see it blowing up, but there's a lot of potential there.

You're probably 10-15 years too early to consider BTC sales as attractive to the average consumer.

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2015, 04:47:51 AM

Paypal is a payment gateway while bitcoin is meant to be a "invention" which later got a price tagged along. Anyway coming back to topic:
1) It has become simple for merchants to use bitcoin as a payment system due to emergence of services like BitPay .
2) BitCoin is used more often in trades rather than for buying things, it has still yet to catch up .
3) If "buyer's protection" was done it would be the same case as : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1195135.0 and you can see how so many people disagree on it. Bitcoin is a decentralized currency anyway, so its not possible.

I don't agree with this explanation or analogy.

PayPal acts as a payment intermediary and offers payment protection. I don't think a service like this exists that deals with bitcoin payments. The current system for bitcoin is no different than you selling your goods online for Dollars and facilitate the transactionson your own. If you don't want to use escrow you can require someone send you payment first and if you reneg they can hit you with a negative Trust rating on this site.

iram66680

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 05:07:13 AM

Paypal is more widely used and known by the general public due to the ease of linking bank accounts and credit cards to paypal. Bitcoin is much harder to buy. Buyer/seller protection usually works well for physical goods for digital goods, like game credits and virtual things, it is hard for paypal to cover as the seller cannot provide proof. You can avoid escrow when you are trusted enough.

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2015, 06:17:43 AM

The problem I see surrounding buyer/seller protection is on whether does it work the way it is intended to be in the first place. It's more like a system that offer ways for people to abuse and manipulate things they want to. If you read forums, needless to say there are countless number of threads on how people actually get scammed despite having the so-called protection system in place.

So for me, it's about finding ways to conduct the business dealing and how to trade with caution because in the end, whether you are buying or selling with paypal or bitcoin, it won't turn out to be any different.

MikeCoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 09:31:08 AM

Only problem with bitcoins is if you get scammed nothing can be done.
www.anchorfaucet.tk

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 02:26:42 PM

You have right, BTC still is a bit complicated to go to the mainstream, but it can change very soon.. Smiley are coming projects like for example this one: https://openbazaar.org/   Grin
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 03:54:36 AM

I don't agree with this explanation or analogy.

PayPal acts as a payment intermediary and offers payment protection. I don't think a service like this exists that deals with bitcoin payments. The current system for bitcoin is no different than you selling your goods online for Dollars and facilitate the transactionson your own. If you don't want to use escrow you can require someone send you payment first and if you reneg they can hit you with a negative Trust rating on this site.

Mexxer, you messaged me with a question - it's your comment/explanation that I don't agree with. You're right that it was confusing that I quoted you and the OP...I think I was feeling lazy at the time I wrote the post.

Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 04:09:59 AM

Bitcoin and paypal co-ordination would boost bitcoin exchange as paypal currently presence in many country with direct bank deposit options. Whereas Payza allows users to fund accounts directly with bitcoin, if paypal starts like that then many people would find a easier way to sell their bitcoin.

From what I understand, Neteller allows this service as well. Am I correct in this assumption?

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 07:21:18 AM

If you sell on PP you are screwed because in disputes they tend to lean towards the buyer side.

And also the chargeback shit makes its horrible. Better use bitcoin, its irreversible,and with proper escrow, you can eliminate scams to 0.000000001%

ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 03:24:24 PM

Only problem with bitcoins is if you get scammed nothing can be done.

And people who don't really understand about bitcoin will blame bitcoin is ponzi lol.

Well bitcoin and PayPal is really different, in transaction, fees, network and architecture form.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: