Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:23:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frankenstorm!  (Read 3124 times)
bitboyben (OP)

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 12:29:01 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2012, 12:51:23 AM by bitboyben

Any guesses how much the total network hash rate will be affected due to power outages etc?

Anyone got generators ready to power up those mining rigs if the power goes out?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:09:58 AM

Any guesses how much the total network hash rate will be affected due to power outages etc?

Anyone got generators ready to power up those mining rigs if the power goes out?

Storm has passed by me in central florida as of a couple hours ago and I lost 0 minutes to power outages.

I hope everyone else is as lucky as me, I think when this thing turns into a snowstorm we should see a chunk of hashing power disappear.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:11:15 AM

I live in the mid-Atlantic and supposedly ground zero for the damn thing.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
FLHippy

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 01:16:34 AM

What I love most about hurricanes is when they send the reporters to the beach and they're getting pelted by sand, wind, and rain and having to run in terror of an especially large wave.

dumb ass reporters Smiley

WHALES HEAVEN
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 02:15:55 AM

Ditto, this should be fun! Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Fcx35x10

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 02:24:51 AM

read from you guys, the day after tomorrow  Smiley
quasarbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:10:29 AM

I wish I could say I hope to reap the profits from other miners going off-line, but I doubt there will be any pay day.
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:05:51 PM

got a generator that will run the house, but I wont waste fuel to mine. I went 1 week without power last october storm and my fuel reserve does not last forever, especially when no gas stations within 60 miles can pump it because they have no power either Wink

it goes towards heating, well pump, refrigeration and computers in power sipping mode.

so count 1.7 GH/s down if the powers out.

northeast USA here, they say we will get hammered pretty good where I am.
FLHippy

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:15:54 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2012, 06:27:32 PM by FLHippy

I just received news from my sailing club that one of our live-aboard members was killed in the storm last night. His boat was colliding with another boat and in his attempts to rescue his boat his head was crushed between the two boats.

I'm just beside myself with grief. Dan (known as DB Dan) was a drunk but he was a fixture at the sailing center. He kept an eye on everyone's boats and let us know when there were problems. We all gave him rum in thanks if something went wrong.

He was a very slight man, 90lbs wet and I'm just so sad by this event. Here I was thinking the storm passed us by and we were unscathed but now I get this horrible news and... Man I'm in tears.

http://halifaxsailing.org/Mainsheet/March_2012.html#DBDan

WHALES HEAVEN
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 06:38:56 PM

Sorry to hear that it's been passing by me in NC for the past day and a half.

scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 12:50:56 AM

Condolences FLHippy.

It sounds like he can be found on Fiddlers Green, I'm sure they'll have plenty of rum.

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:46:13 AM

It's raining hard and steady here near Washington.

Should be an interesting commute.

bitboyben (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:23:09 PM

Wow you don't get the day off?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:46:23 PM

Wow you don't get the day off?

Only government employees get days off for weather.

I can assure you the customer did not slip the product schedule for us because of weather.  The work's absolutely positively gotta be done by the due date.

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:50:11 PM

Im sitting here at work as well. Cold rain and a bit of wind so far... Still mining away but if the power goes out, consider another 4GH/s gone.

Im sure it will have an impact but I wouldnt like to guess how much.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
SysRun

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:53:05 PM

26.649 Thash/s down from 30 Thash/s. That's a 13% decrease. Of course I have no idea if this is frankenstorm related, but it sure is spooooooky!

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 11:23:29 PM

26.649 Thash/s down from 30 Thash/s. That's a 13% decrease. Of course I have no idea if this is frankenstorm related, but it sure is spooooooky!
Could be luck. You never know!

Anyways, my power was down for ~ 4 hours up here in Southern Maine, but it's back now.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:05:23 AM

Im sitting here at work as well. Cold rain and a bit of wind so far... Still mining away but if the power goes out, consider another 4GH/s gone.

Im sure it will have an impact but I wouldnt like to guess how much.

Lights just went out for a sec, I just shut my rigs and unplugged everything. I don't feel like frying expensive equipment.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
FLHippy

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:18:29 AM

Im sitting here at work as well. Cold rain and a bit of wind so far... Still mining away

After hurricane sandy left me and my dead friend behind, the temperature dropped to 50F.

Finally my mining hardware is producing WANTED heat Wink

We turn the heat on when the temps reach 60 here in florida.

WHALES HEAVEN
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 12:42:08 AM

It rained in L.A. once.
bitboyben (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 05:28:28 AM

Im sitting here at work as well. Cold rain and a bit of wind so far... Still mining away

After hurricane sandy left me and my dead friend behind, the temperature dropped to 50F.

is that C or F?... Wink

FLHippy

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 09:29:34 AM

is that C or F?... Wink

We don't do much Centigrade here in Florida.... We do Fahrenheit! Wink  60C would be pretty freaking HOT!

WHALES HEAVEN
stevegee58
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 10:51:50 AM

It was crazy last night with howling wind, reported gusts of 60 mph.  This AM it's less windy but the rain's still coming down.
Officially we've received 5-7 inches of rain so far and they're expecting 4 more inches today.

Amazingly the power stayed on without a glitch so far.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 01:54:04 PM

It was crazy last night with howling wind, reported gusts of 60 mph.  This AM it's less windy but the rain's still coming down.
Officially we've received 5-7 inches of rain so far and they're expecting 4 more inches today.

Amazingly the power stayed on without a glitch so far.

Tons of water here near the coast but also no power outages!  yea  Grin

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 02:42:11 PM

Anybody in the Tristate area get hit particularly hard?

It got windy up here in Vermont, but that's about it...bit of rain, but no power outage.

bitboyben (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 08:28:40 PM

Looks like the power is back on!

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 08:30:25 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luck

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
axilla

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 11:10:44 AM

Jokenstorm.  American sensationalism at its finest with this one.

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 01:05:41 PM

Jokenstorm.  American sensationalism at its finest with this one.

Ah, I'm an American and I totally agree.  Flipping people up North are a bunch of wusses.  I have a lot of friends up there that freaked out, lost power for about 6 hours and are fine, but you would think they just went a flood, an earthquake and a twister all at the same time.  Meanwhile when I lived in Florida a while back and we had 3 hurricanes in the span of a month, they were like, "Oh, you had a few rain storms, that's too bad..."

And if I hear another person on the news or radio say that this is the worst storm to ever hit the US again I'm gonna choke someone.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 01:23:18 PM

Meanwhile when I lived in Florida a while back and we had 3 hurricanes in the span of a month, they were like, "Oh, you had a few rain storms, that's too bad..."

And if I hear another person on the news or radio say that this is the worst storm to ever hit the US again I'm gonna choke someone.

There's a slight disparity here...Florida (as well as the gulf coast / southern east coast in general) has infrastructure in place to deal with such circumstances. New York and New Jersey, on the other hand, do not. Therefore when high winds and heavy rain hit, they get fucked. Sandy essentially cock slapped the Tristate area.
It's the same thing between earthquake prone and non-prone areas...if a high magnitude quake rocks a place that normally doesn't get one, it'll be vastly more devastating than if that same quake hit an area that has one every other day.

So yes, it is one of the worst storms to hit the US...they base their rankings on not only lives lost, but total damage done in $$$ amounts.

securo

Activity: 228

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 02:39:01 PM

Calling it "Franken"-anything implicates someone actually created the monster. I wonder who.

My tipping jar; 197hyQxciZ9r7qj5CBsMvtNpqsRyM5NxuC
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 02:47:47 PM

Calling it "Franken"-anything implicates someone actually created the monster. I wonder who.
IT WAS THE WEATHER CONTROL MACHINE HAARP GONE WRONG!
x3

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
scrybe

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 02:50:37 PM

Jokenstorm.  American sensationalism at its finest with this one.

Ah, I'm an American and I totally agree.  Flipping people up North are a bunch of wusses.  I have a lot of friends up there that freaked out, lost power for about 6 hours and are fine, but you would think they just went a flood, an earthquake and a twister all at the same time.  Meanwhile when I lived in Florida a while back and we had 3 hurricanes in the span of a month, they were like, "Oh, you had a few rain storms, that's too bad..."

Yeah? Does it screw up your subways? Does it turn into snow? Does it affect 50 Million people? (hint, FL only has 16M in the whole state)

You said it yourself, you live in storm country, you know how bad it can be, now think of the worst you have ever seen, and how the cast of Jersey Shore are equipped to deal with it. Granted, there are a lot of smart folks too, but they don;t think about hurricanes half the year like you do in FL.

Take a look at some of the numbers, and then make a real comparison if you like, but don't troll on disaster victims.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/29/14777524-superstorm-sandy-by-the-numbers?lite
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9644744/Hurricane-Sandy-the-key-figures.html

It ain't cool with Katrina, Sandy, or Andrew (which killed 65, Sandy is already up to 55) and living in FL, you should know it.

FYI, I think it was called Frankenstorm because of the collision and merging of 2 large and active storm systems of different types. So the very different storm models had to be "stitched" together to allow for any sort of predictions. (at least a meteorologist buddy is claiming this is the source)

"...as simple as possible, but no simpler" -AE
BTC/TRC/FRC: 1ScrybeSNcjqgpPeYNgvdxANArqoC6i5u Ripple:rf9gutfmGB8CH39W2PCeRbLWMKRauYyVfx LTC:LadmiD6tXq7gFZvMibhFUZegUHKXgbu1Gb
FLHippy

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 03:15:08 PM

Even for those of us who live in storm country, there are those that don't prepare.

Their lack of preparedness weather it be cutting down dead branches or properly securing their boat, they cause problems for the prepared ones.

It was a snowbirds boat that killed my friend dan. Dan was well prepared for the storm. He lived through many hurricanes. No one can prepare for a 7000lb chunk of fiberglass loose in a 50MPH blow from snuffing your life out.

In the end, bad things happen in storms, even for those prepared. Calling them wusses isn't very compassionate for the dead and displaced.

Money and property can be replaced, friends cannot.

WHALES HEAVEN
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 03:52:45 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2012, 04:08:11 PM by Meatball

Alright, well maybe using the term wusses was a bit much, and I apologize for that, but mainly I was talking about the friends I have up there that wigged out because they had 60 mile an hour winds and their power went out for 10 hours.  It's no different when 1/4" of snow hits the ground in Georgia or South Carolina and people get in 500 accidents and people up north just laugh it off that people down south are clueless.

I just think people are sensationalizing how bad it actually was/is.  Was it bad, yes, is it the worst storm ever?  I don't know, a few places like Galveston and New Orleans might have something to say about that.

Edit: Just for comparison, Katrina killed over 1,200 in 2005 and a hurricane in Galveston TX killed 6,000 in 1900,

bitboyben (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 04:05:55 PM

http://gizmodoemergency.wordpress.com/2012/10/30/hello-world/

I just wanted to share this link from gizmodo. If any one doubts the destructive power of this strom these photos should be interesting and educational. I was going to pick one and post it but there's too many to share.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: