Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:35:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I acquire property, and through my hard work, improve the land I now own.  (Read 4120 times)
FirstAscent (OP)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:05:53 AM

Please explain. It's such an obvious thing.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 04:31:14 AM

You're a farmer and never use public roads?

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:34:54 AM

inb4 your point
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:31:24 AM

I see a lot of posts about "improving the land", such as:

- If I own the land, I have the right to improve the land.
- by improving the land, I have staked my ownership of the land.

... Or similar statements. If these are reasonable statements, or statements you might make, or, conversely, if you disagree with them, please chime in. Or if you would like to offer up variants, please do so.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 03:45:51 PM

How does one improve nature?

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 04:00:46 PM

The title of the thread is the mantra of a lot of AnCaps or Libertarians here. Such a statement always comes up in those endless threads. Rather than resurrect one of those threads, I'm looking for some thoughts on that philosophy.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 07:14:58 PM

See to your own education.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:00:44 PM

You sound like someone who is bitter over another matter where you flaunted your opinions about a domain of knowledge you were not fluent in. Regarding this thread, I am actually seeking opinions from the likes of you. Please note the difference: I am not seeking an education from you. I am seeking the beliefs of you and your kind.

Big difference.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 08:03:38 PM

And again, I have given you a link to where you can find those beliefs. Are you so lazy as to wish me to educate you about those beliefs?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 08:07:18 PM

And again, I have given you a link to where you can find those beliefs. Are you so lazy as to wish me to educate you about those beliefs?

I will state this very clearly: I want to know the exact phrasing and wording that you use to explore the topic of land improvement. I also want to know the exact phrasing that others who have similar beliefs as you use when exploring the topic of land improvement. I do not expect that each individual uses the same phrases. Let's start with you.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 08:22:41 PM

Here, you can find information about the topic in question in these books:
- Two Treatises of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration.
- Applications and criticism from the Austrian school. Better hurry, though, Amazon says there's only one left.
- The Market for Liberty.

All of those are fine books, and will adequately educate you on the topic.

FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:13:39 PM

Here, you can find information about the topic in question in these books:
- Two Treatises of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration.
- Applications and criticism from the Austrian school. Better hurry, though, Amazon says there's only one left.
- The Market for Liberty.

All of those are fine books, and will adequately educate you on the topic.

I am not seeking education. I'm seeking the ways in which individuals here in this forum express their beliefs based upon what they have absorbed. The books would not serve that purpose unless they are written by actual members here.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 09:19:24 PM

But I've given you all the information you need to form your own opinions. Why would you want information from us? Are you just that lazy that you don't want to think for yourself?

FirstAscent (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:21:30 PM

But I've given you all the information you need to form your own opinions. Why would you want information us? Are you just that lazy that you don't want to think for yourself?

I'm not trying to form opinions about the information you've given me.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 09:24:28 PM
Last edit: October 28, 2012, 10:13:09 PM by myrkul

Well, clearly you need to learn about the subject, you're obviously very ignorant of the the philosophy of property rights. You should probably stick to the things you know. Like movies.

Also, I'd like to add that "never, until the day I die, no matter how long I may live" is apparently 6 days.

Personally, I quest for knowledge everyday. And I learn everyday. By doing so, I realize that I would never make a statement like you, until the day I die, no matter how long I may live.

I am not seeking education.

fergalish

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 10:13:59 PM

It's funny that no-one seems to be able to give a decent explanation right here.  How about this: you make the land more fertile. This could be:

1. You remove all the rocks & stones making plowing, seeding, harvesting all easier.
2. You engage in crop rotation for some years, and improve the range of nutrients in the soil.
3. You construct some irrigation channels.
4. You otherwise add some nutrients, e.g., with manure or fertilizer - organic, if necessary.
5. You do other stuff that somehow renders the land more useful or productive.

Is this the kind of answer you're looking for?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2012, 10:18:08 PM

It's funny that no-one seems to be able to give a decent explanation right here. 

Oh, I'm able, just not willing. To quote him (again):

I have provided you with book links. It's not my responsibility to retype the content of those books here.

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 11:02:25 PM

While I'm unfamiliar with both the point of this thread and this mantra... there are essentially two ways of "improving land" as I see it.

1. Modifying the speed of succession to promote an increase in biodiversity
2. Increasing the ability to extract productivity (food, material or otherwise)

The best strategies for land improvement do both of these things.

p.s. It could be argued that the survival of civilization as we know it depends upon a large portion of the populace understanding how to implement both of these strategies.

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002

Bitcoin

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 02:19:04 AM

Why own the land or anything else.. This is just one small blue dot in the universe, and humans are just one type of its inhabitant among hundreds of thousand species.  Being "intelligent" gives us the right to own ?

This very tiny blue dot in space is our only place we can survive.. Instead of fighting to own part of it or it's ressources, we must all aim to preserve it for everything alive on it.  It's our duty, has it's the only place we all have to survive.

After all, we all need, fresh air, clean water, food and shelter to survive, regardless of any of those "human created/outdated" concept such as, country, religion, aspect, economic belief, .. 

Go visit : http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/mission-statement to better understand my view of this little blue dot in space called Earth

Thanks for reading human-earthlings !
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 02:26:22 AM

This very tiny blue dot in space is our only place we can survive.. Instead of fighting to own part of it or it's ressources, we must all aim to preserve it for everything alive on it.  It's our duty, has it's the only place we all have to survive.
No, it's not. We can survive just fine elsewhere. We just need less protection here.

Go visit : http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/mission-statement to better understand my view of this little blue dot in space called Earth
Short version: Kill most of the humans, the rest live in techno-communes, ruled over by a "benevolent" AI.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: