Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:24:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Humble Indie Bundle - Purchasing with Bitcoin?  (Read 3320 times)
tjohej (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 11:02:52 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2013, 05:02:28 PM by tjohej

For Humble Indie Bundle 7 I once again boycotted the USD, but today I contacted Nicalis who made Cave Story+(a great retro style game which I quite enjoy!) and told them that I like their game and that 1 Bitcoin will go to them if they're interested.
So for
HIB4FA: 0.01 USD and 1 BTC for Eufloria devs(Thx for a great game!)
HIB7: 0.01 USD. No BTC takers! Fine with me, I've donated my bitcoin elsewhere, actually to a free open source game which had nothing to do with the bundle, though it had to do 100% with indie game developers  Cheesy

Anyone else had any luck contacting any game devs of the Humble Indie Bundles?

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 01:51:44 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2013, 02:16:13 PM by tjohej

I continue playing Cave Story+. No word from Nicalis, now I contact Pixel, Cave Story's Developer.
Subject: I have 1 Bitcoin for you if you want it for your work on Cave Story+
Message: Thx for your great game cave story+ is my favourite in HIB7! I have 1
BTC for you for my appreciation if you want it.
1 BTC is ~1295 JPY and around ~13-14 USD and ~10-11 Euro.
I appreciate this game which was part of HIB7.

Now I sent another message to Humble Bundle inc.
Message: Thanks for your reply. I thank you for providing your/Humble Bundle inc's view on the matter. As a way to not let my donation stay at 0.01 USD and 0.00 BTC I try to contact developers of games which are part of HIB who may consider accepting my Bitcoins.
I had a positive response from one of the Eufloria developers but they have not yet requested the BTC, and I understand both your concern and anyone else's who is not too familiar with this simple pairing of two old technologies that were invented before year 2000, into one which is today known since 2009 as Bitcoin. Bitcoin is in its core a pair of numbers in reality, which people through the use of Bitcoin software find valuable. If that is considered a crime, counting from 1 to 10 could as well be considered a crime.

I'm not expecting you to accept Bitcoin but as it is now ,and it is unfortunate as I would like to give parts of what I share to Eufloria developers and others, I can only donate to you in this small symbolic amount. I thank you for your efforts and if anyone of you would like to try Bitcoin out I am ready to send you some amount for you to experiment with.
So in short I explain why my amount will stay at symbolic 0.01 USD and also my own willingness to help them learn about Bitcoin if they so want to try it out some time. Though I added some stuff about counting from 1 to 10 in the last minute and I quite regret it now, but done is done, damn.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 06:44:16 AM
Last edit: February 27, 2013, 06:32:48 PM by tjohej

We’re anticipating the future of BitCoin and are open to considering it as a payment method for future bundles, but are currently holding off until they become a little more established. We’re keeping our eye on Bitcoin though!

Thank you for your support,
We understand each other now. Great! I need to send them no more e-mails now  Grin

I did good in contacting the indie game devs and artists who contribute to HiB(that could help in getting Bitcoin more well known  Wink). Recently I've contacted an artist(of Swords & Sworcery), who is interested in the idea though will research how Bitcoin works first before he gives it a chance.

Swords & Sworcery
capybaragames.com queried. capybaragames reply was
Unfortunately we do not accept Bitcoin as payment

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 12:29:16 PM

Some people sell bundle keys for Bitcoin in the Marketplace.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 11:43:43 AM

Some people sell bundle keys for Bitcoin in the Marketplace.
At https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=133622.0 "[CLOSED] Humble Indie Bundle 7" vuce wanted to buy 3 bundles for Bitcoin through chris200x9 by paying 3*6.53*1.2 = 23.508$ = 1.77BTC.

That means vuce pays a 20% fee to chris200x9 for the effort and service of being the middleperson for the purchase, thus paying 1.77BTC. Though if it was done today it would be 1.5BTC since you pay more dollars for Bitcoin at this moment.
I would do something similar if it wasn't for the change of tactic that I've begun to employ.

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:39:45 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2013, 09:23:09 AM by tjohej

Klei Entertainment who made Shank 2 in HiB7 favourited a tweet where I offered 1BTC. This doesn't necessarily mean anything, and the tweet is only about 3 hours old, so I'll wait and see if they want my BTC.

https://twitter.com/PKBitcoin/status/293032544058896384
@klei Thanks for your game #Shank2. I got it through #HiB7. I have 1 #Bitcoin for you if you want it. If you want it just say so.

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 05:19:07 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2013, 07:07:58 PM by tjohej

Since Jan 13 I've contacted some indie game developers of HiB7, offering 1 BTC. No great interest, the most positive response I got was from Shank 2 developers, who took my tweet as rather flattering. That's good. When they ask for the BTC I promised they'll have them, but for my donation total for HiB7 not to stay on 0.01 USD, I've donated my 1 BTC somewhere.

I've given 1BTC to DreadKnight to fix the shield found here http://opengameart.org/content/osare-weapon-icons for the game flarerpg. It's not 100% certain that improved art will get into the game but I'm happy all the same that some new art has been added. Here's the art http://opengameart.org/content/flare-buckler-improved. All(there's actually only a buckler) of it is under CC0 if it makes any difference.

Will be interesting when HiB8 comes out...

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
February 23, 2013, 01:13:07 AM
Last edit: February 24, 2013, 11:42:34 AM by tjohej

This is a general thing for companies why they may not consider BTC. The simplicity lies in that they can't purchase services that they are interested in. Let's take hosting. Hosting the games on https://www.humblebundle.com/ costs money for bandwidth. Let's assume that the company the HiB inc pays doesn't accept BTC.

Now something more real and serious: Let us assume that the game devs of the games included in the bundles don't use Bitcoin. Hey, HiB inc could pay them in Bitcoin, I don't say that would make it final so that would make them switch instantly but it's a helping thing.

Now you may see why I think it makes sense contacting the game devs contributing to the bundles. Just a little insight  Cheesy  Cool

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:03:47 PM

Update: I've finally sent the payment/donation to Alex Amsel who contributed to the game Eufloria. Not 1BTC as I don't have one. So what I donated was 0.18BTC, that's pretty much by today's Bitcoin buy/sell "standards".(not really a "standard" since this freakin standard changes like every half minute!  Cheesy)

This is the public address of Alex Amsel https://blockchain.info/address/13SXYiGtuUTnuVG6JXnrHLbw4Lwc8BEgmv

This is the first game dev that I know of that contributed to a game(EufloriaHD) in the humble bundle, Humble Indie Bundle for Android 4, that accepted my donation in BTC. This for now, I can add that Alex was enthusiastic about the 'pay what you want' model for Bitcoin, though it will remain to be seen if this is just a wish or if it could be realized.

If Humble Bundle inc. starts accepting BTC officially then the problem will of course be solved  Grin

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: