Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:05:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Humble Indie Bundle - Purchasing with Bitcoin?  (Read 3320 times)
tjohej (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 09:19:29 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 03:01:10 PM by tjohej

List of companies that have contributed to the bundles over the months/years and their stance:
Capybara Games, 2013-01-18, "Unfortunately we do not accept Bitcoin as payment."

I don't have any Humble Indie Bundles at all and I thought of one use case of using Bitcoin to buy them, or at least HIB6 which got Torchlight and Rochard.
I'm on linux(Ubuntu) and I would like HIB6 for that system. I don't know if anyone is selling but why don't you add a comment if you've bought the humble indie bundle or if you want to sell one? If this is not the right place just add a comment if you are interested in buying the HIB with bitcoins and we can see how many we are...

Editing this post with the idea to put links to past bundles and if any game dev was interested:

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 05:43:03 PM

add a comment if you are interested in buying the HIB with bitcoins and we can see how many we are...

Related:

Quote from: Eric Samuel on November 30 2011
Hey there,

At this time Bitcoin still is not an option, and we have no timeframe nor a commitment to make it happen. There are numerous issues to factor in.

Thank you for your continued support,

Eric Samuel
Support Ninja Master
Humble Bundle, Inc.

Though it wouldn't hurt to remind them of their options (like to add BitPay.com as one of the many payment processors they use).

Please contact us with any comments or questions. We love hearing from people!
- http://www.humblebundle.com/contact

They know the existing payment options they provide are not ideal:

I got charged twice for one bundle!
 - http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/243223-i-got-charged-twice-for-one-bundle-

My Prepaid/Gift Card won't work
 - http://support.humblebundle.com/customer/portal/articles/292349-my-prepaid-gift-card-won-t-work

etc.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Ranguvar

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2012, 07:42:23 PM

HIB has an awesome, flexible payment processing, I think that if they add BitPay or similar, other companies might consider following. Good stuff.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 01:04:52 PM

Reading at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77449.0 I got inspired to contact(I sent them an email) the Humble Bundle team to say that my intention is still the same. I will donate/buy with Bitcoins only regarding the HIB.

I also added the hints of the two basic core technologies that Bitcoin is made up of: Public key cryptography and something like hashcash(I forgot to refer to it as "Proof of Work", argh). Anyway I'm not expecting this to make any difference but at least they got +1 email from some user at bitcointalk that they wish to purchase HIB with Bitcoin.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:13:16 PM

at least they got +1 email from some user at bitcointalk that they wish to purchase HIB with Bitcoin.

Every avalanche starts with a snowflake.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

enkrates

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2012, 05:59:06 PM

I think bitcoin and HIB are a perfect match...except that they are in the business of helping game makers make a living, not in opening up new monetary trails. I would expect HIB to be one of the last groups to accept bitcoin, rather than one of the first.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:52:16 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2013, 11:53:17 AM by tjohej

I'm having a hard time navigating interesting stuff regarding ppl trading HIB for Bitcoin. I'll also try to list threads which are "dead ends" which have not developed for one reason or the other. People who act as middlemen/"middlewomen" for a purchase have so far been found under the "scams" section, let's hope the scams stop or somethin'. Just saving and I'm hoping for an update when I know more.

Multiple bundles:
by Lumpy https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88223.0 "[WTS] Nearly complete HIB Collection, Six Indie Royale Bundles, Portal 1 and 2"
by Bananington https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62100.0 "[WTS] Humble Bundles for 0.6BTC each!/Steam Keys"

Humble Bundle for Android(Released Jan 31, 2012)
by Qoheleth https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=62081.msg724816

Humble Indie Bundle 6(Released Sep 18, 2012)
by Mr. Coinman https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113403.0 "Humble Indie Bundle 6 Steam Key"

Humble Indie Bundle 7(Released Dec 19, 2012)
CLOSED in marketplace by vuce https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=133622.0 "[CLOSED] Humble Indie Bundle 7"

'dead ends':
by corvid https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84722.0 "Successful purchase of Humble Bundle V from Qoheleth"
by corvid https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=63309.0 "Successful transaction with Qoheleth"

"scams"
by crusadar https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34833.0 "Humble Bundle Embezzlement"
by SHlFT https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32555.0 "Want a HumbleBundle?! Buy with Bitcoins!"
--
Also, I'm considering doing a donation of the least amount of USD/EUR in disapproval of HIB not yet accepting Bitcoin. I'm considering to also send them an email explaining my position without expecting a reply, just explaining why I'll give them the least amount for HIB7(if it gets released).

Some user here I've read will boycott HIB completely but I think it's best to do some kind of action and donating the least amount will give them a strong message(even if it doesn't I don't care, their loss!) instead of just not doing anything. In all instances I'll of course notify them of my thinking and explanations of why Bitcoin and cryptocurrency really is something to accept.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 03:16:25 PM

Also, I'm considering doing a donation of the least amount of USD/EUR in disapproval of HIB not yet accepting Bitcoin. I'm considering to also send them an email explaining my position without expecting a reply, just explaining why I'll give them the least amount for HIB7(if it gets released).

Some user here I've read will boycott HIB completely but I think it's best to do some kind of action and donating the least amount will give them a strong message(even if it doesn't I don't care, their loss!) instead of just not doing anything. In all instances I'll of course notify them of my thinking and explanations of why Bitcoin and cryptocurrency really is something to accept.
Hey, that's not a bad idea at all.

I really do like the Humble Indie Bundle concept, and have supported them in the past by buying bundles for a good price. But I hate the fact that they still don't accept Bitcoin and only work with malicious companies like PayPal. I too have been in touch with them requesting for Bitcoin support, and got the same answer as mentioned before.

Next time I will buy the bundle for an absolute minimum payment in USD (like 0.01$ or whatever is their bottom price), and then send a followup mail that if they publish their Bitcoin address, I will be happy to pay a few BTC on top of that. But BTC only, NO € or $ or £ or other spoofed fiat money.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 05:21:54 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2012, 09:35:28 AM by tjohej

This is what I sent the Humble indie Bundle team through email after buying the "Humble Bundle for Android 4" for 0.01 USD:
Subject: I donated 0.01 USD - I want to explain why

This is about Bitcoin and why I donated 0.01 USD. I'll try to keep it short.

I opened a thread on bitcointalk.org at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120966.0 with title "Humble Indie Bundle - Purchasing with Bitcoin?". The reason I opened it was to discover if people were buying bundles but also would wish you to support donations in Bitcoins.
I communicated with someone who didn't want to buy any bundle any more because you don't support Bitcoin. I personally think it's better to do something than nothing, so I really donated 0.01 USD to show symbolically "please let me donate in Bitcoins".
There is 1 BTC waiting for you in my digital wallet. 1 BTC is valued at around 11(10.8-10.9 USD to be more exact) USD at the moment.

Now to be frank and honest I would want you to understand Bitcoin before accepting it. I can help you understand Bitcoin but that requires that you show interest. I know 2 core technologies Proof of Work and Public key cryptography that are a part of Bitcoin. These technologies have existed in theory for more than 25 years since at least 1982(only theory), but it was only in 2008 that the instructions how such a system is possible in practice were published, the double spend problem was finally solved, read more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-spending. In 2009 software was published that showed Bitcoin in practice, and it proved that such a system works in real life.

Also if you do send a reply(the last email I sent I got no reply to, maybe the email was lost?) can I post it on the thread on bitcointalk that I opened? I know that emails are personal or confidential so that's why I'm asking.

Best wishes

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
November 14, 2012, 04:17:56 PM

I'm contacting developers of the various games that are part of the bundle(but only games that I like and that DON'T crash for me on linux) to get out the message that there is 1 BTC(~10.90 USD) waiting for them as my appreciation of their work. For the moment my focus is on the EufloriaHD game.

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 05:02:49 PM

Got a reply from someone at Humble Bundle and they said that they like Bitcoin and would like to accept it but because they contacted the EFF legal team they hesitate to get involved yet. They also said they are looking at working with Bitcoin startups and will be trying to learn more about Bitcoin in the future.

Note:I got no comments if I can publish the message they sent me nor any comment on my thread(this one!) here on bitcointalk. Still I have the feeling that if more people make a "boycott of the USD, EUR etc etc." when getting bundles by giving 0.01 USD as a donation, this may get noticed and ultimately Humble Bundle's interest may grow to start accepting Bitcoin.
Ontopic advertisement note: The Humble Bundle ends in about 7 days!

pinnpe

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

DumBlinDeaf

View Profile
November 15, 2012, 11:01:39 PM

Hi HumbleBundle.com doesn't accept bitcoins
they seem to be afraid of it

I send them an email a few months ago and they replied that they
only used the payment methods currently available.

For the future check out Coinlab for bitcoin related games
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
November 16, 2012, 11:45:07 PM
Last edit: November 17, 2012, 09:54:45 AM by tjohej

A little news: Some games got added to the bundle I already purchased today: Avadon: The Black Fortress, Canabalt, Cogs, Swords & Soldiers HD and Zen Bound 2. These games shouldn't have appeared as they show that one must pay above the average, although I don't feel that applies to me because I was and am ready to send them my 1 BTC once they open up donations in BTC.

For the future check out Coinlab for bitcoin related games
Right, but that's clearly offtopic...This is what an employee of Humble Bundle inc. told me:
"We like BitCoin and would love to accept it, but after contacting the EFF" and you know how it goes. Let's show 'em we do care.

You know what? Join this campaign, all of you who like the Humble Bundle purchase it for 0.01 USD. Do what I did, I sent them an email explaining why I did so and also put a link to this thread.
If you send them dollars then maybe that proves you don't care enough and you are just "bought in" to the dollar.
Instead boycott(!) the dollar by sending minimum amounts (ie 0.01 USD) and link to this thread. Do what I did or do it your way, as long as you boycott USD, EUR etc. and ask them to support Bitcoin.
If they get enough of 0.01 USD's they'll soon know what they are losing out on when not accepting BTCs.

You may be discouraged, but think like this:
Q1: 10 users 0.01 USD, Q2: 100 users 0.01 USD, Q3: 1000 users 0.01 USD. Of course we may be masked by all those who don't want to give more than one penny, but HIB should know that accepting Bitcoin will give them huge incomes, no kidding because from that day I'll be thinking about what I owe them in Bitcoin(for bundles I gave 0.01 USD) and since I'm a linux user they should expect about double the average. I may not keep my 'personal debt' eternally but for at least the last 4-5 bundles, that's the plan.

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
November 17, 2012, 09:50:48 PM

If they get enough of 0.01 USD's they'll soon know what they are losing out on when not accepting BTCs.

Or someone could sell Humble Bundle giftcodes for bitcoins:

To give the bundle as a gift for someone else, just make sure this checkbox is checked and enter <b>your own email</b> as you normally would.  You will be emailed a special gift URL that you can give to the recipient, which will let them retrieve the content at any time.  There is no time limit on your gift.
- www.humblebundle.com

Do what I did, I sent them an email

And then that seller can share with HB the volume of giftcodes which where paid for in bitcoins and show that even in this roundabout way there are bitcoins that want to buy Humble bundles.

Let's see if things change now after WordPress is onboard.   It really makes taking the EFF's stance look foolish now.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 07:28:37 PM

Just adding that The Humble Bundle for Android 4 is over. I had thought about buying some extra "gifts" but well it only stayed as an idea. Maybe next time.

I contacted the people behind many games that were released in the bundle but I got no reply on their stance of me wishing to donate some Bitcoins...well it's their loss after all. I contacted at least the makers of Eufloria and Waking Mars. Still I enjoyed some of the games.
My favourite is I think Waking Mars, which also is a pretty stable game on linux(doesn't crash much often). This game reminds me somewhat about Aquaria in the physics and graphics aspect. Then there's the game Eufloria which also is pretty stable. A fun strategy game, but maybe a bit too challenging at times. It sure has it's beauty.

Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:33:22 PM

You might be interested in this.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128772.0

http://blog.walletbit.com/2012/12/buy-humble-thq-bundle-with-bitcoin.html
prezbo

Activity: 430

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 02:28:23 PM

Wow, this is excellent. Thanks for this. Will this also be in place for future humble bundles?
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:24:23 PM

A while ago I said:
Next time I will buy the bundle for an absolute minimum payment in USD (like 0.01$ or whatever is their bottom price), and then send a followup mail that if they publish their Bitcoin address, I will be happy to pay a few BTC on top of that. But BTC only, NO € or $ or £ or other spoofed fiat money.
And so I just did.

I appreciate WalletBit's initiative, and I hope it helps getting them to accept Bitcoin (and increase global acceptance of Bitcoin in general). But personally I prefer to send a more direct message and incentive to Humble Bundle.

So $1.00 it is, and eager to add some $25 or whatever IN BITCOINS, as soon as they publicly accept it.

If anyone from Humble Bundle is reading this: please, give Bitcoin another thought. It's good for everybody (except banks/paypal/visa/mastercard and oppressing governments). It's free, fair, safe, simple, open, independent, and unlike euros and dollars it doesn't suffer from fraud, manipulation or forgery. Thanks for your consideration.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 04:33:29 AM

Wow, this is excellent. Thanks for this. Will this also be in place for future humble bundles?

If this bear fruition, yes.
tjohej (OP)

Magic Staff

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 02:31:08 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2013, 06:22:43 PM by tjohej

Regarding "Humble Bundle for Android 4" I contacted AA, a developer of Eufloria and I was asked if I would still like to give 1 Bitcoin(I had offered in a previous email to give a Bitcoin) as he would like to give Bitcoin a try. That's freakin awesome that somebody of a game of the bundle is interested, though he said he's not ready yet to spend time trying Bitcoin out as he's helping in porting Eufloria to Android.

I donated the same amount 0.01 USD for the latest bundle(HIB7 which will end in about ~45 hours). I want direct support or at least support from game devs of some of the bundle's games.(see above)
I didn't post the 'official standpoint' so here are parts of the reply I got for HIB4(Android):
The EFF has a great statement on BitCoin that closely follows our feelings toward BitCoin, which is available here: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/06/eff-and-bitcoin

We like BitCoin and would love to accept it, but after contacting the EFF and a lawyer specializing in this sort of thing, we are not comfortable with the plethora of untested issues and legal traps, which would be a major distraction for us. We have been in contact with a number of bitcoin startups, and will be monitoring the landscape carefully.
Ok there's the official message. I'm continuing my 0.01 USD donation. The people I contact when I offer my Bitcoins are the developers of games(which I like!) which are made available through the bundle.

I had mentioned earlier about from the moment they accept Bitcoin I will give them lots of money. I take that back actually as I try to contact individual developers of the games that they release, and give them the Bitcoins and in that way I feel I've "paid my debt", so this idea of being in debt is no longer an issue for me. Of course once they start accepting Bitcoin I'll buy the bundles from them and stop this kind of "1 cent USD boycott".

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: