Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:17:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I would like some advice...  (Read 584 times)
miguelik (OP)

Activity: 256
Merit: 118

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 03:26:54 PM

Hi,

I have been all this week discovering the world of "bitcoins and alcoins".

First of all, due to my situation I have "free electricity", but also i don´t pretend to make it profit of it.

From what I have read, it is now impossible to mine neither bitcoins or litecoins without special mining hardware, but,
is it possible to mine any coin with a GPU? or is that complitely dead?.

My objective would be to get some coins and then start speculating with them, buying and selling them ,
changing them for other coins... etc. FOr this is there any web or "house of changes" (sorry for my english).

Also, is there any program that limits your hashrate? I mean, i just want to play a lottery, and i would not like to
get my pc burned due to this. If there was any program that permitted me to dedicate just the 50% of my power or something like that...

Also if this coin that can be mined with gpu exists, how would i mined it ? (Some kind of tutorial... Smiley)

How do i save the coins i obtain? is there an "universal" wallet for saving every type of coin?

Thanks a lot

GriffinHeart

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Hello there!

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:31:31 PM

1. Mining Altcoins with GPUs.
Yes! Yes you can! Not bitcoin or litecoin or dogecoin, but there are altcoins that CAN be profitable with a GPU as of now!
Monero and Eth are problematic currencies but currently they are the most profitable with a modern GPU (nVidia is generally supported further than AMD)
2. Yes, there are exchanges.
Cryptsy is one that comes to mind immediately, you can trade most currencies there with a simple google search.
3. Hash limiting?
I guess, you need to work the mining program that you need to use for the specific altcoin. Learn your settings and manipulate the program to grind out a certain amount of speed from your hardware, there is not other easy way.
4. How to mine Altcoins
Once you find a prospective altcoin that you are interested in, look at their bitcointalk.org [ANN] Thread
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=159.0 <---- There.
5. Multiwallet.
Yes, there are multiwallets, but I'd suggest you keep a wallet for each different coin. It's easier than the android mycellium wallet.

Hi there, I'm from South Africa.
This means I'm poor, I guess.
Stratobitz
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 11:00:02 AM

Personally; and this is just honest advice, I wouldn't waste you time with just a single GPU, no matter how high end it is, regardless of your AC situation. The wear and tear on your primary GPU is not worth it.

If you want to make a few Satoshi's, which is what you will make at BEST with a single GPU rig; just do Moonbit faucet, and it's sister sites. You can make more likely just doing a once a day click than you would burning up your GPU.

With GPUs and ASICs it's go big or go home.

Cheers,

Strato
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4983

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 11:03:51 AM

What i would do in case i had some free electricity:

I would buy a second hand ASIC, buy it from a trusted member, and try to get as much hashrate for your buck as possible, and then start mining away.... I think you could ROI pretty fast with an old antminer as long as you don't pay your electric bill  Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
highaltitude20322

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:15:16 PM

I would buy a second hand ASIC, buy it from a trusted member, and try to get as much hashrate for your buck as possible, and then start mining away.... I think you could ROI pretty fast with an old antminer as long as you don't pay your electric bill  Wink

This is good advice. I small asic will be easy to find on ebay, and keep his room warm without burning up his GPU. Free power is a HUGE plus. And if he burns his GPU, no games!
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4983

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 05:54:53 AM

I would buy a second hand ASIC, buy it from a trusted member, and try to get as much hashrate for your buck as possible, and then start mining away.... I think you could ROI pretty fast with an old antminer as long as you don't pay your electric bill  Wink

This is good advice. I small asic will be easy to find on ebay, and keep his room warm without burning up his GPU. Free power is a HUGE plus. And if he burns his GPU, no games!

Indeed, altough i wouldn't buy them on ebay... The price/quality ratio is not always up to par...
I would start my search on this forum, a lot of good stuff changes hands over here. I personally have some good experiences with aliexpress to: the chinese miners sell their hardware that has already ROI'd really cheap sometimes.

All in all, if you decide to follow my advice, please don't hesistate to open a thread and ask our opinions about any type of ASIC you want to purchase. A small thread might save you from buying bad or overpriced hardware  Grin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cinnamon_carter
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

It's about time -- All merrit accepted !!!

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 06:12:31 AM

I suggest you look into the blake coin system.  https://blakecoin.org/

Disclaimer -- I am a member  of the development team but with true merged mining you can mine 5 coins at once.....

I pick and choose which projects I work on, and still turn down a few offers a month to join teams or help with other coin dev. projects.

Blake 256 has many many advantages.

Only bitcoin has merged mining like this and honestly very few places offer any more than btc/nmc   

Lot's of other great coins out there also..

Feathercoin and Riecoin are two alt coins I am NOT involved with development of in any way but are certainly ones I recommend you check out.

Good luck -- don't expect to get rich ..... 

Check out my coin Photon
Merge Mine 5 other Blake 256 coins - 6x your hash power  https://www.blakecoin.org/

The obvious choice is not always the best choice.

LOOK DEEPER - Look into the Blake 256 Family -- CC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: