Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:11:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum 2.5 released  (Read 3894 times)
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 11:59:56 AM

see release notes: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES

Please do update, as previous versions create signatures with high S values, which are nonstandard now.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 12:23:01 PM

Glad to see, busy downloading...

Thanks for the update Thomas
japerry

Activity: 306

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 12:29:10 PM

see release notes: https://github.com/spesmilo/electrum/blob/master/RELEASE-NOTES

Please do update, as previous versions create signatures with high S values, which are nonstandard now.

Hmm.. A while back you said that hardware wallets would be supported for Windows in the 2.5 version. Your website states that hardware wallets are *NOT* supported in 2.5. So what? Do I have to wait for 2.6 now?

RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 12:40:03 PM

Thomas,

Just downloaded the stand-alone version of 2.5 but sad to say it does not work.

Firstly, the stand-alone does not work as it should as it creates the folders under the AppData folder on a Windows system which makes the fact that its 'stand-alone' pointless as most of the files are not on the USB drive but on the C drive.

Secondly, I copied the exe file onto my USB drive right where the 2.3.2 version exe resides. I fired up the 2.5 version with the -w option which is supposed to make it work with the folder/data in the same location but it just starts up and then dies and or closes. I first thought it might be due to the file formats being from the 2.3.2 version so I deleted all the files and still nothing.

I then left it to create all the folders/files on the c drive and then copied this to the USB drive and tried the -w option again but again it just starts up and died.

Can somebody please look into this and if possible update the current 2.5 version instead of letting us wait for 2.6 please...

EDIT: Just tested it as mentioned in next post. See there is no support for Trezor. Is this just a glitch and or is there no Trezor support for version 2.5?
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 12:40:49 PM

Hmm.. A while back you said that hardware wallets would be supported for Windows in the 2.5 version. Your website states that hardware wallets are *NOT* supported in 2.5. So what? Do I have to wait for 2.6 now?

Guess the website must just be updated. When I started it up it showed options for hardware wallets. Will test now and report back.

EDIT: Just tested it. Plugged Trezor in but seems like there is no Trezor support. Only came up with an option for Ledger. So there goes version 2.5 for me. Back to 2.3.2, the last proper Electrum version out there at present, for windows at least.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:14:51 PM

Thanks for the updates ThomasV , It took sometime but I hope it worth it and a lot of things got added or fixed .
Just want to know , how I'am supposed to update my current version guys ? I'am using 2.4.4 at the moment , should I just download and install ? or I unistall the old one , and Install the new one and use the seed ? thanks !

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Scream

Activity: 476

U will never know the true answer, before you try

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:20:14 PM

# Release 2.5
 * Low-S values are used in signatures (BIP 62).
 * The Kivy GUI has been merged into master.
 * The Qt GUI supports multiple windows in the same process. When a
   new Electrum instance is started, it checks for an already running
   Electrum process, and connects to it.
 * The network layer uses select(), so all server communication is
   handled by a single thread. Moreover, the synchronizer, verifier,
   and exchange rate plugin now run as separate jobs within the
   networking thread instead of as their own threads.
 * Plugins are revamped, particularly the exchange rate plugin.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:23:09 PM

might be a dumb question. but I rather be safe...

should I backup anything before updating? I'm using 2.3.2.
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 01:25:52 PM

If you have a copy of your seed you are okay. Easy to revert back to 2.3.2 should you want to do so.

If you make use of a Trezor then stay on 2.3.2, like me, there is no Trezor support in 2.5. Only support for Ledger it seems.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 01:29:42 PM

If you have a copy of your seed you are okay. Easy to revert back to 2.3.2 should you want to do so.

If you make use of a Trezor then stay on 2.3.2, like me, there is no Trezor support in 2.5. Only support for Ledger it seems.

got it thanks. I don't use Trezor so it shouldn't affect me. gonna update ASAP.
ThomasV (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 01:55:59 PM

We had to release 2.5 earlier than expected because of the malleability issue (high S value).
I did not have time to address the issues with Windows binaries and trezor.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
XxUnkn0wnxX

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:07:43 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2015, 05:26:37 PM by XxUnkn0wnxX

hi i cannot seem to use any electrum commands in the console e.g. electrum help keeps giving me
>> electrum help
Traceback (most recent call last):
                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

is any one else having issues with the console? i really need use it..
japerry

Activity: 306

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2015, 06:24:39 PM

Guess the website must just be updated. When I started it up it showed options for hardware wallets. Will test now and report back.

EDIT: Just tested it. Plugged Trezor in but seems like there is no Trezor support. Only came up with an option for Ledger. So there goes version 2.5 for me. Back to 2.3.2, the last proper Electrum version out there at present, for windows at least.

I tested with a HW.1. Although the option is there it asks for additional libraries. So the HW.1 is still not supported.

tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 10:54:24 PM

I have been running a Trezor on Windows with Electrum 2.3.2.  I had previously installed all the necessary software back around version 2.0.  Because of the low-s signature issue I decided I'd better update to 2.5.  Unfortunately, as warned, the windows installer for 2.5 doesn't work with Trezor. I decided I had better try using the source code of 2.5.

To get 2.5 working from source code, all I did was to replace the contents of the electrum software directory with the contents of the eloectrum-2.5.zip distribution.  When I did this, electrum 2.5 popped up.  Even better, because of my previously installed software my Trezor also worked.

There was one minor problem. electrum-2.5.zip has a routine that communicates with the electrum daemon which isn't supported in Windows.  This resulted in an error traceback in the terminal window. I made this go away by editing out the entire routine that was throwing the error.

It is necessary to change the file extension of electrum to electrum.pyw so you can click on it (or use a shortcut to it) so that the program runs without having to type "python electrum" in a command window. Also, there is some fiddling (which I've yet to do) to get the icons correct.

It would sure be nice if there was a working windows version with Trezor support, as this was easy for me, but getting python, python-qt,  python-trezor to work, cython, etc... was a huge pain the first time.
Lincoln6Echo
Legendary

Activity: 2459
Merit: 1057

Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!

View Profile
October 18, 2015, 07:27:25 PM

why isn't Trezor supported anymore on the compiled windows version? Why do you have to build it from source to use Trezor?
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:28:20 AM

why isn't Trezor supported anymore on the compiled windows version? Why do you have to build it from source to use Trezor?

Because ThomasV is having issues with the binaries so we should wait until he fix them .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
RustyNomad

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 09:39:59 AM

What I do not understand is that there is Trezor support in the latest version of Electrum-LTC (version 2.4.3.1) which I believe make use of the same binaries for Trezor.

All versions of Electrum-LTC thus far had support for Trezor without any problems.
hgerson61

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:10:28 PM

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your work on Electrum, GREAT product!
FYI - in the most current version 2.5.1 it is showing positive for malware using Google's virust website.
The previous version does not show positive.

Thanks,
Howard
tungfa
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1023

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 06:55:09 AM

had the same issue and error
updated to 2.5.1
and all good now !
 Grin
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2015, 07:24:39 PM

Is there another bug with 2.5.1? Now refusing to sync regardless of server selected.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: