Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:34:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Mining vs. Vanity Mining  (Read 1202 times)
xiano8494 (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 11:56:26 AM

I've done some basic calculations based on my current mining rigs and as far as I can tell from a pure profit point of view you are better off "mining" vanity addresses rather than mining for bitcoins.

Views?
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 04:04:40 PM

I've done some basic calculations based on my current mining rigs and as far as I can tell from a pure profit point of view you are better off "mining" vanity addresses rather than mining for bitcoins.

Views?

I've seen others come to the same conclusion. Why not try it out?
xiano8494 (OP)

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 04:08:11 PM

I am planning to. 

Waiting for a gfx card to arrive that should triple my hash-rate (i.e. my current group of devices are equal to the new gfx card divided by two, or close enough).  Then I plan to "race" it against the pool of devices for about a month and see the results. 

Not particularly scientific, and probably not for long enough but should give some idea.  Of course it can be skewed quite heavily by the bounties on vanity names at the time.
xiano8494 (OP)

View Profile
October 30, 2012, 07:21:15 AM

Came across this link in another thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=84569.200):
http://fizzisist.com/mining-value/

Has a dynamic graph to tell you which is more profitable at any given time. Very useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: