Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 11:34:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic questions because I'm a noob sorry  (Read 723 times)
bennett211085 (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 05:06:19 PM

So if I have a pc wallet do I really need a website wallet too or is the desktop one fine? I presume when I put coins in it I just copy and paste the address to whomever I buy the coins off? This is the part that really annoys me. All I want to do is click a few links jam my paypal in or bank details and bam there's my coins, but it seems here in the uk you need to spend time reading things and taking an interest in things that I suppose are pretty cool now I'm learning about it, but all I want is to be able to use the bloody bitcoins.

My mum says im special ok
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 05:16:35 PM

So if I have a pc wallet do I really need a website wallet too or is the desktop one fine? I presume when I put coins in it I just copy and paste the address to whomever I buy the coins off? This is the part that really annoys me. All I want to do is click a few links jam my paypal in or bank details and bam there's my coins, but it seems here in the uk you need to spend time reading things and taking an interest in things that I suppose are pretty cool now I'm learning about it, but all I want is to be able to use the bloody bitcoins.

It's OK to ask questions, no need to defend yourself. I think that's the reason there is a noob section.

If that annoys some people they can always create a Bitcoin Professionals board and stay there.

To your question:

You basically only need one wallet, but you can have more, see it as accounts in different banks. While with your pc wallet you are your own bank (this also means you have to take care of security and backups yourself!)

Year, bitcoin is still not perfectly user-friendly. It's like DOS and as reagular banking customer you are used to win7. But it's being improved every day. Also I read that you in the UK have some difficultys to get BTC recently.

Try https://bitmarket.eu, there is a GBP marked.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
sippsnapp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 05:28:08 PM

If you run windows OS its not a bad idea in my opinion to have the bitcoin client running in a vmware or virtualbox.

Dont forget to backup your wallet on a seperate harddrive.

As for different wallets, it really depends on your needs and on the effort you want to invest to protect yourself from loss.
The options im aware of are:

1. Wallet on your own pc
2. Wallet on a vps/dedi
3. Wallet on a managed vps/dedi
4. Online wallet service
5. Exchanges where you can keep a wallet.

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 05:39:27 PM

Frankly, I'm glad you ask questions! Far too few newbies do. First of all, you can have both, but it's not necessary to. If you want accessibility, I'd recommend blockchain.info's wallet. Here's why.

• All encryption is done client side. That means that the blockchain.info can't see your wallet at all without your passkey.
  • They allow automatic encrypted backups to multiple services including email, dropbox, and Google Drive
  • They have a shit ton of features.
  • Even if Blockchain.info's servers get incinerated in a firey explosion at the end of the world, and you need your Bitcoins to pay the ransom for your sister that you didn't know existed before that day, all backups are kept in a way that is accessible to any Bitcoin client anywhere. It's also encrypted with AES, so you can decrypt the wallet without access to blockchain using a tool like this.
  • They have all kind of cool gadgets you can play around with on blockchain Smiley

However, if you are OCD about keeping complete control over your wallet, I'd recommend a local wallet. Or even better, a cold storage wallet on a Linux USB drive with armory installed.

Check out this site for info http://bitcoinsecurity.com/

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 06:01:56 PM

Or even better, a cold storage wallet on a Linux USB drive with armory installed.

That's the best approach if you want security and privacy.
Although blockchain.info does seem interesting, it's still possible that a malware in the computer you use to access it steal your password*, and, with it, your money. Plus, as it's a web wallet, the servers at blockchain.info are capable of seeing everything you do with your money.

*By the way, that may happen with any desktop wallet as well. If you access your money from a generic computer you use to access the web, then you are taking risks. If you're storing only small amounts, then you don't need to worry that much. I myself have some BTCs here in this same computer I use to access the web. From the moment you start to put larger amounts, consider the option of an offline wallet.
ejecto

Activity: 2

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:02:07 PM

Thanks for this.
caffeinewriter

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:28:55 PM

Or even better, a cold storage wallet on a Linux USB drive with armory installed.

That's the best approach if you want security and privacy.
Although blockchain.info does seem interesting, it's still possible that a malware in the computer you use to access it steal your password*, and, with it, your money. Plus, as it's a web wallet, the servers at blockchain.info are capable of seeing everything you do with your money.

*By the way, that may happen with any desktop wallet as well. If you access your money from a generic computer you use to access the web, then you are taking risks. If you're storing only small amounts, then you don't need to worry that much. I myself have some BTCs here in this same computer I use to access the web. From the moment you start to put larger amounts, consider the option of an offline wallet.

Actually, it's impossible for Blockchain to touch your wallet without your passkey, and with their current setup, there is no way to capture their passkey. They also have a JS verifier to show if the javascript has been modified in any way.

EhVedadoOAnonimato

Activity: 630

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 10:05:45 PM

Actually, it's impossible for Blockchain to touch your wallet without your passkey, and with their current setup, there is no way to capture their passkey.

Why there's no way to capture the passkey? A malware in the user's computer can always capture what's typed/clicked/etc.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 10:09:20 PM

Actually, it's impossible for Blockchain to touch your wallet without your passkey, and with their current setup, there is no way to capture their passkey.

Why there's no way to capture the passkey? A malware in the user's computer can always capture what's typed/clicked/etc.

He means that there is no way for anyone sniffing on Blockchain's side of the connection to capture the passkey, but I'm not sure that I agree with that statement.

If you have malware on your computer, a local bitcoin client isn't safe either.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Applejack!

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 10:56:48 PM

If you aren't confident you can secure your own computer Bitcoin may not be for you.
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 10:59:08 PM

I take credit cards, but you must be verified first.
Bitcoin-keys.com

caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:32:48 PM

He means that there is no way for anyone sniffing on Blockchain's side of the connection to capture the passkey, but I'm not sure that I agree with that statement.

It's possible to sniff it, but improbable that that will ever happen. If Blockchain wanted to do it, they have ways to, but they're easy enough to detect. The validator freaks right the fuck out whenever my computer bugs out on javascript, which is a lot thanks to some disk errors that I haven't taken the time to iron out. Theoretically, they could sniff and brute force the HTTPS encrypted traffic (actually a rather easy attack), but the chances of them capturing anything that leads to a high value wallet is rather low. (This is just my personal analysis.) The chance of XSS is also low, and SQL Injection is useless as far as I can tell. (No I haven't tried it, but I've analyzed the site for my own sake) Anyways, local malware is the biggest threat.

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:39:25 PM

It's possible to sniff it, but improbable that that will ever happen. If Blockchain wanted to do it, they have ways to, but they're easy enough to detect. The validator freaks right the fuck out whenever my computer bugs out on javascript, which is a lot thanks to some disk errors that I haven't taken the time to iron out. Theoretically, they could sniff and brute force the HTTPS encrypted traffic (actually a rather easy attack), but the chances of them capturing anything that leads to a high value wallet is rather low. (This is just my personal analysis.) The chance of XSS is also low, and SQL Injection is useless as far as I can tell. (No I haven't tried it, but I've analyzed the site for my own sake) Anyways, local malware is the biggest threat.

I use blockchain, but most of my bitcoins are stored in a brain wallet - I watch this address on blockchain, and they provide the tools to allow me to access these coins if I need to.
It's the best of all possible worlds.
If someone hacks my account they can at best steal 3 bitcoins. The rest are safe.
caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:23:17 PM

I use blockchain, but most of my bitcoins are stored in a brain wallet - I watch this address on blockchain, and they provide the tools to allow me to access these coins if I need to.
It's the best of all possible worlds.
If someone hacks my account they can at best steal 3 bitcoins. The rest are safe.

Very smart idea Smiley I may start doing that ^_^ Also, keeping wallet backups is important. Just a note. I keep my encrypted backups in 3 places.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: