Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:50:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news; ECB 2012/10 report on virtual currencies  (Read 6785 times)
Luno (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 07:23:45 PM

Just read through this http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/virtualcurrencyschemes201210en.pdf

Half of this 55 page report concerns Bitcoins, ranging from legal, technical and political issues.

The conclusion is quite positive as it states that Bitcoin is not violating any EC virtual money or currency laws.

The paper also expresses the usual concerns; ponzi, money launder, non backed, terror funding,  but find the risk of such transactions happening at any scale, very low.

Their main concern, which is mentioned in 3 different chapters, is that if there are more conventional banking fuck-ups, Bitcoin can gain traction fast, if supported by mass media, and be a threat to the trust in established financial institutions.

Strait talk report, high quality level of research into different aspects around Bitcoin.

Worth a read and to take along, if you have some explaining to take care of, with your local IRS office.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 07:26:24 PM

Their main concern, which is mentioned in 3 different chapters, is that if there are more conventional banking fuck-ups, Bitcoin can gain traction fast, if supported by mass media, and be a threat to the trust in established financial institutions.

And it's a valid fear. Fuck up enough times, and people sho'nuff gonna drop you like a hot rock.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 07:47:18 PM

Seems like a fair and objective study when you take in to account the likeley backround of the people who put this together. Im loving it.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 07:49:16 PM

Wow, reading it as I type...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 07:56:22 PM

Wow, reading it as I type...

It seems the reading is more captivating than the typing Wink

From what you guys summarize, this seems pretty well researched... will print and read on train to work.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 07:58:35 PM

And it's a valid fear. Fuck up enough times, and people sho'nuff gonna drop you like a hot rock.

we should send this to the press so next time banks fuck up, the press know what to write about, hehehehe.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 08:05:01 PM

we should send this to the press so next time banks fuck up, the press know what to write about, hehehehe.

Make it part of the official Bitcoin press kit.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:16:22 PM

Quote from: ecb, page 10
Virtual currencies resemble money and necessarily come with their own dedicated retail payment
systems; these two aspects are covered by the term “virtual currency scheme”. Virtual currency
schemes are relevant in several areas of the financial system and are therefore of interest to central
banks. Virtual currency schemes have been subject to increased press coverage, even being featured
in respectable media publications. The ECB has been contacted a number of times in recent months
by academics, journalists and concerned citizens, who want to know its view or want to warn the
institution about potential problems with virtual currency schemes. In this context, it was considered
advisable to strive for a common understanding and, thereafter, to formulate a coordinated response.
This explains the ECB’s interest in carrying out a more detailed analysis, especially in view of its
role as a catalyst for payment systems and its oversight role. The present report is the result of this
analysis. It is a first attempt to provide the basis for a discussion on virtual currency schemes.
(emphasis mine.)

This sounds pretty prudent and promising to me.

and later:

Money is a social institution: a tool created and marked by society’s evolution, which has exhibited
a great capacity to evolve and adapt to the character of the times. It is not surprising that money has
been affected by recent technological developments and especially by the widespread use of the
internet.

interesting, no FUD so far or misinformation or misunderstandings, just facts I can agree with... this is weird, I'll keep reading.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 08:25:29 PM

Virtual currencies resemble money and necessarily come with their own dedicated retail payment
systems; these two aspects are covered by the term “virtual currency scheme”. Virtual currency
schemes are relevant in several areas of the financial system and are therefore of interest to central
banks. Virtual currency schemes have been subject to increased press coverage, even being featured
in respectable media publications. The ECB has been contacted a number of times in recent months
by academics, journalists and concerned citizens, who want to know its view or want to warn the
institution about potential problems with virtual currency schemes. In this context, it was considered
advisable to strive for a common understanding and, thereafter, to formulate a coordinated response.
This explains the ECB’s interest in carrying out a more detailed analysis, especially in view of its
role as a catalyst for payment systems and its oversight role. The present report is the result of this
analysis. It is a first attempt to provide the basis for a discussion on virtual currency schemes.
(emphasis mine.)

and later:

Money is a social institution: a tool created and marked by society’s evolution, which has exhibited
a great capacity to evolve and adapt to the character of the times. It is not surprising that money has
been affected by recent technological developments and especially by the widespread use of the
internet.

interesting, no FUD so far or misinformation or misunderstandings, just facts I can agree with... this is weird, I'll keep reading.

Can't agree more, strange...

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:31:15 PM

We could use this to help define our terms as we continue to refign how we communicate what bitcoin is to a non-users.

I've hear people refer to bitcoin as electronic money, which according to this paper would refer to a unit of account that has a physical counterpart with legal tender status, ie western union.

Virtual currency schemes differ from electronic money schemes insofar as the currency being used as the unit of account has no physical counterpart with legal tender status.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:34:33 PM

We could use this to help define our terms as we continue to refign how we communicate what bitcoin is to a non-users.

I've hear people refer to bitcoin as electronic money, which according to this paper would refer to a unit of account that has a physical counterpart with legal tender status, ie western union.

Virtual currency schemes differ from electronic money schemes insofar as the currency being used as the unit of account has no physical counterpart with legal tender status.

This also means that since the only difference between bitcoins and dollars is that bitcoins' physical counterparts aren't legal tender that they admit dollars, euros and the rest of the fiat currencies are essentially virtual currencies.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:42:57 PM

Seriously this is very good.

And very very good news.

intentionally left blank
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 08:57:19 PM

hazek

[snip]This also means that since the only difference between bitcoins and dollars is that bitcoins' physical counterparts aren't legal tender that they admit dollars, euros and the rest of the fiat currencies are essentially virtual currencies.[/snip]

I don't follow.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:03:15 PM

hazek

[snip]This also means that since the only difference between bitcoins and dollars is that bitcoins' physical counterparts aren't legal tender that they admit dollars, euros and the rest of the fiat currencies are essentially virtual currencies.[/snip]

I don't follow.

bitcoins - virtual currency with physical counterparts (Casascius, bitbills, ect..)

euros - "electronic" currency with physical counterparts that are legal tender

Seems to me, there is only one difference between these two currencies and it's not that one is a virtual currency and the other isn't.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:03:34 PM

somewhere else they explain another difference:

Quote from: ecb page 17
In electronic money schemes the link between the electronic money and the traditional money
format is preserved and has a legal foundation
, as the stored funds are expressed in the same unit
of account (e.g. US dollars, euro, etc.). In virtual currency schemes the unit of account is changed
into a virtual one (e.g. Linden Dollars, Bitcoins).

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:03:56 PM

(emphasis mine.)

and later:

internet.

Can't agree more, strange...
As much as it can be frustrating to deal with bureaucracy in the EU, Canada, etc. - it is refreshing to see disinterested, non-corrupted bureaucrats do their jobs well, and provide service to the paying public. This study is a good example.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:10:28 PM

hazek

I don't follow.

bitcoins - virtual currency with physical counterparts (Casascius, bitbills, ect..)

Seems to me, there is only one difference between these two currencies and it's not that one is a virtual currency and the other isn't.

no one is legal tender and the other is not, yes?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:14:01 PM

As much as it can be frustrating to deal with bureaucracy in the EU, Canada, etc. - it is refreshing to see disinterested, non-corrupted bureaucrats do their jobs well, and provide service to the paying public. This study is a good example.

True. Still, I'm only 1/3rd through and not into the bitcoin part yet.

I'm still suspecting an "agenda" and my initial enthusiasm got dampened a bit:

These schemes can have positive aspects if they
contribute to financial innovation and provide additional payment alternatives to consumers.
However, it is clear that they can also pose risks for their users, especially in view of the current
lack of regulation.
In essence, virtual currencies act as a medium of exchange and as a unit of account within a
particular virtual community. The question then arises as to whether they also fulfil the “store of
value” function in terms of being reliable and safe
, or whether they pose a risk not only for their
users but also the wider economy.

Incidentally that question arises also with the EUR the ECB is currently issuing like mad Wink

lebing
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:14:44 PM

Yes, this actually is a really good report.

hazek

I don't follow.

What is the difference between an electronic and a virtual currency...  Huh

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:15:46 PM

hazek

I don't follow.

no one is legal tender and the other is not, yes?

yes, or in other words:

In electronic money schemes the link between the electronic money and the traditional money
format is preserved and has a legal foundation,[...]

is this the same as saying: electronic money has a fixed exchange rate to fiat currency while virtual currency floats?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: