Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:00:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good news; ECB 2012/10 report on virtual currencies  (Read 6782 times)
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:17:09 PM

Thanks molecular

Hadn't gotten that far yet.

LOVE this paper.

In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 09:18:58 PM

You all realize that now EU has moved out on this the US will take ten years to follow suit  Cheesy

This is very good news.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:20:09 PM

Yes, this actually is a really good report.

hazek

[snip]This also means that since the only difference between bitcoins and dollars is that bitcoins' physical counterparts aren't legal tender that they admit dollars, euros and the rest of the fiat currencies are essentially virtual currencies.[/snip]

I don't follow.

bitcoins - virtual currency with physical counterparts (Casascius, bitbills, ect..)

euros - "electronic" currency with physical counterparts that are legal tender

Seems to me, there is only one difference between these two currencies and it's not that one is a virtual currency and the other isn't.

What is the difference between an electronic and a virtual currency...  Huh

electronic money is like western union.  You take fiat from you bank or credit card and WU transfers it to another location electorniclly and the receiptent collect fiat  (goven't backed legal tender)

Bitcoin does the same think but it is not backed by fiat or gold and not legal tender in essense "Virtual".  It's value is preceived by the user.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:20:47 PM

what will happen to that mental image when the "real economy" starts using "virtual money" instead of that "real economy money"?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:21:34 PM

hazek

[snip]This also means that since the only difference between bitcoins and dollars is that bitcoins' physical counterparts aren't legal tender that they admit dollars, euros and the rest of the fiat currencies are essentially virtual currencies.[/snip]

I don't follow.

bitcoins - virtual currency with physical counterparts (Casascius, bitbills, ect..)

Seems to me, there is only one difference between these two currencies and it's not that one is a virtual currency and the other isn't.

NONE. That's my point, there is no difference. Their precious euros and dollars are just as virtual as our bitcoins, the only difference being that the physical counterparts to their virtual currency are legal tender.  Cheesy

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:22:54 PM

hazek

I still don't think you point, while an important one, is clear....
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:23:52 PM

BTW I'm very surprised by the objectivity of this report:

3.1.4 Security inci dents an d ne gative press
From time to time, Bitcoin is surrounded by controversy. Sometimes it is linked to its potential for
becoming a suitable monetary alternative for drug dealing and money laundering, as a result of the
high degree of anonymity.9 On other occasions, users have claimed to have suffered a substantial
theft of Bitcoins through a Trojan that gained access to their computer.10 The Electronic Frontier
Foundation, which is an organisation that seeks to defend freedom in the digital world, decided not
to accept donations in Bitcoins anymore. Among the reasons given, they considered that “Bitcoin
raises untested legal concerns related to securities law, the Stamp Payment Act, tax evasion,
consumer protection and money laundering, among others”.

However, practically identical problems can also occur when using cash, thus Bitcoin can be
considered to be another variety of cash, i.e. digital cash.
Cash can be used for drug dealing and
money laundering too; cash can also be stolen, not from a digital wallet, but from a physical one; and
cash can also be used for tax evasion purposes. The question is not so much related to the format of
money as such (physical or digital), but rather to the use people make of it. Nevertheless, if the use of
digital money in itself complicates investigations and law enforcement, special requirements may be
needed. Therefore, the real dimension of all these controversies still needs to be further analysed.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:26:32 PM

hazek

I still don't think you point, while an important one, is clear....

What isn't clear? My point is functionally their currency is virtual just like bitcoins. The only difference is the words they use to describe it and the legal tender status of it's physical counterparts.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:27:42 PM

hazek

I don't follow.

NONE. That's my point, there is no difference. Their precious euros and dollars are just as virtual as our bitcoins, the only difference being that the physical counterparts to their virtual currency are legal tender.  Cheesy

I think you are correct. However I doubt the authors of the papers think of Casascius coins when they say "physical counterparts".

In their mind physical counterpart to bitcoin is probably: nothing ("has no physical counterpart with legal tender status")
and physical counterpart to number in western union database is: the dollar, legal tender.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:30:37 PM

Wow, just read over it real quick. (I'm tired will read it in full tomorrow.)

They really have put a lot of work in this, informed themselves really well and it's written by people that actually understand bitcoin.

3 Surprises in one article, I'm stunned. This is great.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:31:57 PM

molecular

good point.

hazed, I see you point and your statement may or may not be true, depending on your stance but for now euros and dollars, despite how many physical specimens exist relative to the total balance outstanding, are still legal tender and bitcoin is not.  I think that is the salient point here.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:33:36 PM

I think that is the salient point here.

It's not, it's that both, functionally, are a virtual currency.

iain

Activity: 33
Merit: 7

View Profile WWW
October 29, 2012, 09:41:37 PM

lol @ bubbly bubbly bubble graph on page 26

bubbles blowin' down into negative USD/BTC territory... bubbles reaching back in time just by, uh, being circular... this graph deserves a PRIZE for inscrutability Cheesy
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:42:21 PM

Quote from: page 22
Economic foundations of Bitcoin
The theoretical roots of Bitcoin can be found in the Austrian school of economics and its
criticism of the current fiat money system and interventions undertaken by governments and
other agencies, which, in their view, result in exacerbated business cycles and massive inflation.

wow!

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:43:07 PM

Ok.  Define virtual currency then make your point again.  I think you are clouding the issue.  Hopefully your explanation will help clear that up.

Thanks.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:46:59 PM

Quote from: page 22
Economic foundations of Bitcoin
The theoretical roots of Bitcoin can be found in the Austrian school of economics and its
criticism of the current fiat money system and interventions undertaken by governments and
other agencies, which, in their view, result in exacerbated business cycles and massive inflation.

wow!

They even got the correct short version of the Austrian theory of the business cycle! I know, unbelievable right?  Shocked

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:58:45 PM

Ok.  Define virtual currency then make your point again.  I think you are clouding the issue.  Hopefully your explanation will help clear that up.

Thanks.

How about you define it and I'll let you know if you got it right?

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:03:56 PM

Virtual currency schemes differ from electronic money schemes insofar as the currency being used as the unit of account has no physical counterpart with legal tender status.

Dollars and Euro's have some physical counterpart with legal tenter status. 

You are defining "Virtual"

I'm defining "Virtual Currency"

While 97% of fiat may be "virtual" ie is does not exist in the real world, it is not a "virtual currency" as is has legal tender status.

Bitcoin is a true virtual currency.

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:11:53 PM

Virtual currency schemes differ from electronic money schemes insofar as the currency being used as the unit of account has no physical counterpart with legal tender status.

While 97% of fiat may be "virtual" ie is does not exist in the real world, it is not a "virtual currency" as is has legal tender status.

Well then I disagree with your definition of "virtual", I don't think having a physical counterpart that has a legal tender status vs having a physical counterpart that does not makes the later a virtual but not the former.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:26:32 PM

Well then I disagree with your definition of "virtual", I don't think having a physical counterpart that has a legal tender status vs having a physical counterpart that does not makes the later a virtual but not the former.

Bitcoin is currently 10.68.  I'm going to mail you a 10 dollar bill two quarters and a dime a nickle and three pennies.
When you get it Please send me 1 btc.

now you can take that fiat money to the bank to the store to the irs and pay for or buy  something.

What can I do with the btc besides convert it for a non-virtual currency, or trade if for something else of value.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: