Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:01:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New "Dipjar" credit card tipping system is "absolute game changer"  (Read 1021 times)
Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 07:49:20 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/26/tech/apparently-this-matters-dipjar/

Now, I don't throw the word "genius" around too liberally. Generally, I save it for really important stuff like when a friend suggests we light something on fire. But I'm going to go ahead and drop a G-bomb on this amazing new invention. Because, for better or worse, when it comes to tipping, the Dipjar is an absolute game changer.
Basically, the Dipjar is an electronic tip jar for store countertops in which a customer can -- as the name suggests -- dip his or her credit card to leave a fixed-amount tip for the clerk. And these days it's sort of a necessity

Increasingly, we are becoming a cash-free society, preferring the convenience of credit cards to carrying actual paper money. While this can be great for the consumer, it sort of screws over the hipster barista behind the counter who no longer gets to keep your change.

But, hey, he still has giant-gauged ear holes. So that's something.

Not only is cash becoming less popular, but it also seems that more and more credit card companies don't even require a signature for small transactions, thus eliminating the opportunity to write in a tip or, perhaps, leave that really cute server an adorable pickup line.
Anyway, Dipjar finally makes it easy for credit card users to tip without signing, and the company makes their money by taking a small percentage of each transaction. However, they insist that they'll always deliver at least 80 cents of every dollar to the store's employees.
At least 80 cents of every dollar?! So the fee might be even lower than 20%? Gosh, that does sound like a game changer. Apparently this is what passes for innovation in the legacy monetary system.  
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:15:11 PM

At least 80 cents of every dollar?! So the fee might be even lower than 20%? Gosh, that does sound like a game changer. Apparently this is what passes for innovation in the legacy monetary system.  

Actually this is great.  Once it arrives, the server staff can slap a QR code with a Bitcoin address on the side and whenever anyone goes to swipe, remind the tipper that if they send as Bitcoin the server staff receives 100% of the proceeds themselves, no intermediary.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:25:16 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/26/tech/apparently-this-matters-dipjar/

Now, I don't throw the word "genius" around too liberally. Generally, I save it for really important stuff like when a friend suggests we light something on fire. But I'm going to go ahead and drop a G-bomb on this amazing new invention. Because, for better or worse, when it comes to tipping, the Dipjar is an absolute game changer.
Basically, the Dipjar is an electronic tip jar for store countertops in which a customer can -- as the name suggests -- dip his or her credit card to leave a fixed-amount tip for the clerk. And these days it's sort of a necessity

Increasingly, we are becoming a cash-free society, preferring the convenience of credit cards to carrying actual paper money. While this can be great for the consumer, it sort of screws over the hipster barista behind the counter who no longer gets to keep your change.

But, hey, he still has giant-gauged ear holes. So that's something.

Not only is cash becoming less popular, but it also seems that more and more credit card companies don't even require a signature for small transactions, thus eliminating the opportunity to write in a tip or, perhaps, leave that really cute server an adorable pickup line.
Anyway, Dipjar finally makes it easy for credit card users to tip without signing, and the company makes their money by taking a small percentage of each transaction. However, they insist that they'll always deliver at least 80 cents of every dollar to the store's employees.

Wow! It sounds like, oh I don't know. EVERY OTHER FUCKING TIP SYSTEM OUT THERE!

Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 10:31:23 PM

Hey, c'mon, that's not fair. Dipjar is more expensive than conventional signature-based systems AND it requires additional proprietary equipment to work. Plus it's got a super clever name. "Dipjar." Get it? (It's supposed to be a play on the word "dipshit," right?) Put all that together in a single product and that's a lot of win.
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 11:13:16 PM

Hey, c'mon, that's not fair. Dipjar is more expensive than conventional signature-based systems AND it requires additional proprietary equipment to work. Plus it's got a super clever name. "Dipjar." Get it? (It's supposed to be a play on the word "dipshit," right?) Put all that together in a single product and that's a lot of win.

Of course, right next to the UroClub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncjYnLgxyCI

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 29, 2013, 05:38:00 AM

Once it arrives, the server staff can slap a QR code with a Bitcoin address on the side and whenever anyone goes to swipe, remind the tipper that if they send as Bitcoin the server staff receives 100% of the proceeds themselves, no intermediary.

Or a separate placard, with info:

- http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1j8ktm

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █