Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:36:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Meni Rosenfeld's vanity thread  (Read 32671 times)
Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 02:31:48 PM

Amazing to see such level headed replies from Meni Rosenfeld to these questions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 03:01:38 PM

I don't understand your argument or its notation. "Believing that X could be true" is not the same as "Believing that X is true and not knowing how to prove it".

Which goes back to Graham's point - you seem to be wanting me to "pick a side" instead of treating it like any other statement that one can be uncertain about.

I am sorry about my mistakes. I completely forgot that sets must be represented by upper case letters and not numbers. My argument is based on the exactly meaning of the two words. I agree that there are connotations, but this do not change the meaning of the words.

The acceptance of a possible existence imply a belief in the subject existence. Of course you could argue that the existence could be true or is true. Whatever argument you choose, you have to accept the subject existence to determine if is true or could be true.

Let's imagine three hypothetical dialogues:

- Do you believe in the existence of Santa Claus?
- Yes.
- Why?
- Because is possible that a old man dressed in red clothes are living somewhere in the north pole.

- No.
- Why?
- Because is impossible that a old man dressed in red clothes are surviving in the north pole under extreme low temperatures.

- No...
- Why?
- I do not believe Santa Claus, but is possible that a old man dressed in red clothes are living somewhere in the north pole.

Notice the contradiction in last dialogue. The hypothetical character answering the questions first refuse the existence of the subject, then when required to justify his/her answer, he/she assumes the existence of the subject. This contradiction is not present in the first two dialogues because once the hypothetical character express his/her belief or disbelief, he/she straightly assumes the possible or the impossible existence of the subject.

My argument using mathematical notation is:

p ∈ B

The possible existence of the subject is element of the belief.

i ∈ D

The impossible existence of the subject is element of the disbelief.

B ≠ D

Belief and disbelief do not share any common element, therefore there is not any intersection between theism or atheism.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 03:51:12 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2012, 03:34:56 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

What did/would you say when approached by recruiters from Moss@d?
Never heard of it and am unable to find any information on it.
Oh, I get it now (if the leetspeak was to reduce Googleability, I think it's working). I was never approached by them. I doubt a position will be found there that suits my personality, but I wouldn't rule out anything a priori - all depends on what the position would require from me and how interesting and lucrative it is.

@augustocroppo - You still seem to assume that for every person X and statement Y exactly one of "X believes that Y" and "X believes that not Y" is true, and that "X believes that Y" is the same as "X believes that it is possible that Y". This is simply incorrect and no kind of logic argument can change that.

The word "believe" is pretty fuzzy and the accurate concept we need to consider is subjective probability. For every person X and statement Y, X has a given probability p assigned for Y, even if he does not explicitly quantify it. We generally understand "X believes that Y" to mean "X assigns a high probability to Y", let's say >0.9. So if 0.1<p<0.9 then X believes neither Y nor not Y; and if 0<p<0.1, then X believes not Y but still believes Y is possible.

Let's simplify the Santa Claus example by agreeing that "a Santa Claus" means "a person wearing red clothes living in the north pole". Consider the following discussion:

Q: Do you believe that a Santa Claus exists?
A: No, in fact I believe that a Santa Claus does not exist.
Q: Is it possible that a Santa Claus exists?
A: Yes.
Q: Why?
A: It is not that cold in the north pole, someone could live there if he wanted, and red clothes are easy to come by.
Q: If so, why do you believe no Santa Claus exists?
A: Because I don't see any reason why someone would want to go live in the north pole. Hence, it is unlikely anyone actually did that.

The answerer very consistently holds both the belief that a Santa Claus could exist (in the modal sense) and that no Santa Claus exists (as a contingent fact).

The same thing can happen with any other statement - I could believe it will rain tomorrow (since the forecaster said so) and that it is possible it will not rain tomorrow (since there certainly are sunny days, and the forecaster doesn't always get it right), etc. There is nothing special about statements asserting the existence of something; those have a subjective probability like any other statement, and one could give any kind of evidence or argument to establish his subjective probability.

Your set notation is still messed up. B ≠ D means that B and D are unequal (there is an element in one which is not in the other; there could still be an element common to both), not that they are disjoint (have no common element).

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
augustocroppo
VIP

Merit: 503

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 04:32:19 PM

Your set notation is still messed up. B ≠ D means that B and D are unequal (there is an element in one which is not in the other; there could still be an element common to both), not that they are disjoint (have no common element).

I agree, the elements which forms the belief and the disbelief are unequal.

Anyway, thank you by the answer. I will meditate on your logical argument to provide an consistent response.

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 09:28:24 PM

No, not everyone are qualified to express opinions on everything. Politics is one area where this observation is often forgotten.

So true, I just had to quote it. If only more people would acknowledge what they're not qualified for.

the discussion on religion looks way too familiar. I personally say "fine, just treat me as an atheist" at some point. But actually, deep within, I just can't deny the possibility that Haruhi made this world for her amusement. Smiley

I see the Bitdaytrade accusations are still lingering about. As I said before, I believe Meni is honest, had no intention of things turning out this way, and it was a bad deal for him too. To anyone who still wants to nag about this: there are so many liars, fraudsters and other truth-benders around, just pick a different target! Everyone can make a mistake. The original Bitcoin client once had a freaking integer overflow, did we all run screaming "ZOMG Satoshi must be so stupid to overlook it, I'll never trust his stuff again"? Also, it's not a secret who ran Bitdaytrade and how he did it.
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 11:37:22 AM

To anyone who still wants to nag about this: there are so many liars, fraudsters and other truth-benders around, just pick a different target!

Remarkably enough, this is the story of every caught thief, who's not one bit sorry he stole but terribly terribly sorry he got caught: "ah, there's so many others why pick on meee!"

Satoshi's dubious coding practices are not a standard for anything. More importantly, the ways, means, ideas, opinions, criteria and so forth of computer programmers aren't either interesting or important in any discussion outside of their practice.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Elokane

Activity: 817
Merit: 1000

Truth is a consensus among neurons www.synereo.com

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2012, 12:26:53 PM

Another satisfied customer chiming in.

Synereo: liberating the Internet from abusive business models.

Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart, he dreams himself your master.
<br>
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 06:30:03 PM

So, today there was a major Israel article (thread). This prompted a major news channel, channel 10, to do a story about Bitcoin, and I was interviewed for it. As were Josh Harvey and others.

It should be broadcast tonight, 23:35 Israel time, on channel 10.

Thought I would mention it.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
WiW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:10:16 AM

If I'm already here, and actually managed to skim through the philosophical debate (how did that happen?) I might as well add my 2 satoshis.

Meni may not know me personally, but I bought a significant amount of bitcoins through his site on two occasions and I am a happy customer. Markup is significant, but all in all excellent service. Thank you! Will buy again.

As for anyone interested in anyone else's personal opinion about the Israeli geopolitical position today in regards to other nation's geopolitical position, I would recommend considering that geopolitical positions may, just may, be a result of psychopaths in very influential positions and less of individuals of the public. I am in no way vouching for role of the Israeli public in whatever you may see as right or more probably wrong with the current situation, but I wouldn't consider the many Americans who vote for the federal government really at fault for anything that happened or currently happening in dozens of American-war-ridden countries around the world over the last several decades. Seriously, these things are larger than individuals.

I may have a personal vendetta against any individual Nazi in WWII-era Germany, but I wouldn't take it as seriously as some seem to take it here. If he weren't in Nazi Germany he would probably be torturing small animals and be just as much of an asshole, and I would have just as much of a vendetta. Even if anyone were to believe that Meni is a full-on Israeli oppressor, why isn't anyone asking Meni if he tortures small animals? Is his opinion in the geopolitical game any more relevant?
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:48:15 PM

There is one rule - never talk about politics and religion  - it will never turn into something positive Cheesy
roy7

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 04:30:48 AM

I, for one, am glad you made this point and found it quite interesting. As it turns out, my Masters thesis in Computer Science was also somewhat related to machine learning (summary, I used a naive Bayes classifier and some other tools to increase the click-through rate of ads on a web site). I suspect yours was far heavier on the math, though. Wink (My Bachelors's was also in C.S. with a minor in mathematics, but that feels so long ago.) I left the computer industry in 2001-2002 after the dot com implosion, but my hobbyist interest remains, likely for life.

I'm thankful for your contributions to the community and to mining pool compensation analysis.
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2013, 08:18:49 AM
Last edit: September 11, 2015, 01:51:47 PM by Meni Rosenfeld

I, for one, am glad you made this point and found it quite interesting. As it turns out, my Masters thesis in Computer Science was also somewhat related to machine learning (summary, I used a naive Bayes classifier and some other tools to increase the click-through rate of ads on a web site). I suspect yours was far heavier on the math, though. Wink (My Bachelors's was also in C.S. with a minor in mathematics, but that feels so long ago.) I left the computer industry in 2001-2002 after the dot com implosion, but my hobbyist interest remains, likely for life.

I'm thankful for your contributions to the community and to mining pool compensation analysis.
Thank you, and you're welcome.

If you have some spare time, you don't have to speculate about the contents of my thesis - it's available at https://bitcoil.co.il/files/Thesis-Meni-f2.pdf.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: