Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 03:45:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Funniest story related to Bitcoin or Mining  (Read 562 times)
adaseb (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1723

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 07:18:25 AM

Please share if you have a hilarious story with anything related to Bitcoin or Mining.'

A buddy of mine once got into mining and ordered a whole bunch of mining equipment. He quickly ran out of outlets to use. Instead of hiring an electrician he basically started plugging in his miners everywhere include the refrigerator breaker and sump pump.

He measured the power consumption of the fridge and noticed that it only uses max 200 watts with both doors open (2 light bulbs lite up). He noticed it either used 200 watts or like 20 watts when the compressor shut off.

So he assumed it was good enough to plug in a 1300Watt miner in that outlet. He plugged it in and off he went to bed. Later he got up and went to work. He works late so when he came home at like 8PM, the wife was SCREAMING at him because the breaker was set off sometime in the middle of the night and all the food went bad in the freezer and refrigerator.

Turns out most modern fridges have a defrost heater cycle which is used to melt the ice and this cycle uses up to 600Watts or so. It only runs for about 10-20 minutes and it only  has a cycle every 12 hours.

So in the end he ended up wasting over $200 of food or so because almost everything (except the salad dressing) went back and the entire fridge stinks and so does the entire house now because the wife had to clean it out.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 08:11:17 AM

Mine is to do with eclectic and a insane bill.  I called a established electrician company.   Told them I wanted to go from a breaker box to a 240 line.  This was before I had my mining area.  The electrician walks in to where I have 5 -6 miners.  You should have seen his eyes once he saw them and the noise...  I should have turned them off before but I thought showing actual condition was better.... he instantly started talking about getting a 2nd quote from a different company..... it was like ok but what is your quote? He then realized he did not look at anything so hard to do quote.   

The guy got there and thought the subpanal where I wanted was the main box..... it was not.  He got more worried as it was like he had never seen a sunpanal before.   At this point I did not know if I should laugh or cry.  Again he already starts saying he would get a 2nd quote from another company.   Ok 2nd time... I'm getting the hint he does not like miner's.   He say's he will be back with a quote, I hear his van haul ass out of my yard.

So at this point i'm dying laughing.  I thought it was over.   It got better later in the week I got a quote for 2k.  This would include 1  240 breaker.  About 10 feet of proper wire ran outside of wall.  So easy less then 100 dollar's in parts easy..... but it was for 2k.

I thankfully got help on 240 from Phil on the forums and ended up being great as I built a miner area just for them and now have a 240 after putting it in.  Which now has 240 for far less then the 2k. But all worked out good in the end as I turned a work area into a miner area, and it successfully mined through summer which was my goal.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:25:25 PM

That is one hell of a stupid design, 100% for the power outage reason..
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 1854

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:42:49 PM

Also a pretty terrible refrigerator if it can't keep food cold enough to not get ruined overnight. Someone needs to teach that woman how to reset a circuit breaker, and then get a better fridge.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Biodom
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 3968

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 05:24:00 PM

My wife's guinea pigs (very docile, but curious at the same time creatures) were afraid of antminer S5 at full speed. S5 was on the same floor.
They were sitting in their little 'houses' all the time, which is unusual. Upon my modding of S5 the behavior changed back to normal (no lasting damage  Smiley.
Interestingly, they are not afraid of S7 at all, although I isolated the sound much better.
S7=a guinea pig friendly miner?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 1854

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 06:06:01 PM

Spring of 2014 I took in a set of four ASICMiner Blades for repair. I forget what the guy said was the specific problem but apparently they shorted out as soon as he plugged in the PSU. I said I'd take a look but no promises. So a couple days later I get a box in the mail with four Blades screwed together in pairs, flopping around with about three random chunks of styrofoam and, I kid you not, a disposable plate with ketchup residue on it. Needless to say the Blades were pretty banged up, corners cracked and such. and every one of them looked like it'd been left out in the rain for a couple weeks. Corrosion all over the place. I didn't even know where to start - if I'd cleaned up the PCBs enough to replace the myriad fried or eroded VRM parts there wouldn't have been enough copper left to solder to. So I told him I couldn't fix 'em, wouldn't charge him for anything, and what was up with the used foam plate?

Never heard from him again. Those crusty Blades are still just sitting in a box somewhere.

Another guy sent me some Bitfury cards and then messaged to brag about his packing job. So I opened up the box when it arrived and he'd stapled the cards into folded paper towels and stacked them loose in the box with no additional padding.

Or the time I was tearing into a first-gen Avalon with a failed-short FET on one board which overvolted the chips as soon as I turned it on. Every ASIC on that board simultaneously blew tiny showers of sparks as the magic smoke escaped in a quite vigorous manner. I was not expecting it.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 3013

BTC price road to $80k

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 06:08:00 PM

Ow i see that the miner is more electricity current than refrigerator?How about aircon? its still defros too If there a chance?
I was planning to buy a miner but the problem is the outlet or socket in my how. I was use pressure cooker before then my outlet got melt.Maybe if i use the mining product like ant miner s7 it melt too so I need a good outlet or i will directly it to nearly in fuse in the house

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████