Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:02:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] Create a Vanity Address  (Read 1164 times)
BitTalkyy (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:30:28 PM

Hi. In this tutorial I will teach you how to create a Vanity Address.
First Download vanitygen from https://github.com/downloads/samr7/vanitygen/vanitygen-0.20-win.zip

The zip will come with several files. There is
Code:
vanitygen.exe 
for x86 processors,
Code:
vanitygen64.exe
for 64-bit processors and
Code:
oclvanitygen.exe
for Open CL graphics cards.
Navigate to this folder and Shift + Right Click anywhere. Then click
Code:
Open Command Window Here
Inside it type the application version you want to use. I'll use the OCL one.
Code:
oclvanitygen 1YourPrefix
The prefix must start with 1. The longer it is, the more time it will take. It can take from 1 second to 3.3 decillion years.
Cracking a private key is possible with this, but you need to have 3.3E+33 years of free time.

After it got the results, you will see something like this:
Code:
Difficulty: 445655
Address: 1YourPrefixandtheaddresscontinues
Privkey: myveryownprivkeyformypersonalbitcoinvanityaddress

I will continue with Bitcoin Core from now on.
Next, block the internet access out of your computer, they copy the privkey.

In Bitcoin-Qt Click on Settings > Debug Window
Select 'Debug Console' and type in
Code:
addprivkey myveryownprivkeyformypersonalbitcoinvanityaddress "my very own label"

Your wallet will start re-indexing the blockchain now. It will take up to 2 minutes.
After it disappeared, you should see your new customized address in the 'Receiving Addresses' section.

Happy address generating!

Tips are appreciated: 1Tipo4u5vkaNDjPd5A4wxPxmR4bEp8Bdb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 03:35:28 PM

And remember to make a backup of that private key.

The seed of the wallet will only recover the addresses linked to that seed. Any imported address will not be recovered/restored when you restore the wallet. So if you have no backup of the private key you will not be able to use that imported address and any coins on that address will be lost.
BitTalkyy (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 03:37:06 PM

And remember to make a backup of that private key.

The seed of the wallet will only recover the addresses linked to that seed. Any imported address will not be recovered/restored when you restore the wallet. So if you have no backup of the private key you will not be able to use that imported address and any coins on that address will be lost.
I didn't cover that, I focused on the generation and the importing of that private key
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6587

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 04:20:35 PM

How about doing split key generation? If someone is generating a vanity address for someone, they should use split key so that the generator cannot steal bitcoin from that address.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:28:49 PM

I see that you are a very new member and on the other hand very helpful with all those threads you are making ,anyway I just wanted to point few things out "Next, block the internet access out of your computer, they copy the privkey." <= Most malware & viruses now wait till you have internet access then send information's so it's not really the best thing to do .
So you should recommend users to use Linux LiveCD to do this operation instead of turning off modem simply to make sure the system is totally clean .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
BitTalkyy (OP)

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:30:53 PM

I see that you are a very new member and on the other hand very helpful with all those threads you are making ,anyway I just wanted to point few things out "Next, block the internet access out of your computer, they copy the privkey." <= Most malware & viruses now wait till you have internet access then send information's so it's not really the best thing to do .
So you should recommend users to use Linux LiveCD to do this operation instead of turning off modem simply to make sure the system is totally clean .
Or aftet it imported, turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, check if the clupboard if empty then enable internet again
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 04:34:37 PM

Or aftet it imported, turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, check if the clupboard if empty then enable internet again

It's possible to do all offline for viruses and key-loggers etc ... the only thing they need internet for is sending information's to the creator of the virus so you will need to copy the priv key sooner or later and he will get it , even if you don't copy it they can capture it if the virus have screenshot or video capture ... As I said Linux Live-CD is the best solution probably .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████