Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:00:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Bitcoin.org claiming to be the official site of Bitcoin?  (Read 1780 times)
AnonymousNine (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 12:35:49 PM

From Google:

"Official site offering documentation, forums and the open source client software which permits to send and receive bitcoins."

I thought Bitcoin was decentralized with no official leader or company? Shouldn't this be fixed?

"the open source client software"

Why do they imply they are the only development team?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
celkaris

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 12:53:36 PM

Cause they are Smiley

You can still contribute to the project, by submitting pull requests though...

The only 'place' i saw fully decentralized distributed developpment, with no central server, was with the freenet project (hosting repositories within the network works, in-net discussion forums exists and so on), but .. you still have to bootstrap the thing, getting your first client from somewhere ... thus the pseudo-centralized thing Sad
AnonymousNine (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 01:07:12 PM

Cause they are Smiley

I don't think so.

Wikipedia says, "Mining and node implementations include core software such as Bitcoind/Bitcoin-Qt, libbitcoin, cbitcoin and BitCoinJ."

It is becoming decentralized but bitcoin.org doesn't represent that.
Jessica

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 01:32:18 PM

They develop it, but they are not controlling your coins.
AnonymousNine (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 01:39:54 PM

Let's hope their official status doesn't allow them to through a protocol change.
enkrates

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 03:25:05 AM

The site also has a tab toward the top called "Clients", so I think they are being balanced in trying to communicate that there is 1 bitcoin system, but many client implementations.
Vannicke

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

That guy, you know, with the face

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 04:07:41 AM

Technically there isn't just one Bitcoin either.  Since it is open source, namecoin, i0coin, etc. have also popped up and some are doing decently, though none on par with the BTC as far as I know.  It is decentralized in the fact that you can have a wallet, which no one knows is yours, and it is not backed by the government or anything.  As far as I can tell there is some network "centralization" a la things like blockexplorer and bitcoin.org and the like, and a network has to be launched somehow (as celkaris said) so the origin tends to be "center"-like.  The more force bitcoin garners though, the more decentralized it will become.  Fiat currencies are heavily centralized by things like the Federal Reserve (in the US), and the like for other nations as well, but there is little like that in bitcoin, other than maintaining the client software and managing the implementation of bitcoin itself in a open environment, thus "decentralizing" it.

bitcoin.org is where most of the original implementation information and the design for bitcoin are developed, but in an open manner.  Giving it that "wait this seems like the centralization bureau" effect.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, I am fairly new to the Bitcoin myself.

The Satoshi Jar: 16t2BLGZyaMpGm3vzYWxucGz8g4bVotr1h
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:46:37 PM

From Google:

"Official site offering documentation, forums and the open source client software which permits to send and receive bitcoins."

I thought Bitcoin was decentralized with no official leader or company? Shouldn't this be fixed?

Hello, Atlas.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 02:39:11 PM

From Google:

Hello, Atlas.

greyhawk has eagle eyes!
XMLGold
VIP

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

Bitcoin Exchanger at Best Rate.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 03:16:22 PM

It is because they are!

Convert Your Bitcoins to Bitcoin MasterCard
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 03:28:11 PM

They develop A Bitcoin client, not THE Bitcoin client.

I don't think it's very healthy for the decentralized, free, independent, and open reputation of Bitcoin to present Bitcoin-Qt as "THE" client (or even "the standard client"). The protocol is what's standard, not some particular client implementation (regardless if was the first around, or has the most users).

Also, bitcoin.org is just one of many random websites related to Bitcoin. Not "the official Bitcoin site".

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 11:25:25 AM

In a way, each client is essentially an API for accessing the Bitcoin network. Technically Bitcoin.org has the "official" client, but many people choose to use different clients, with other functionality, developed by other dev teams. Anyone can create a Bitcoin client, as long as it's compatible with the Bitcoin Blockchain. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't several things used to be on bitcoin.org?

• These forums
  • The original client developed by Satoshi Nakamoto

Probably more.

If I'm wrong, I apologize. I'm far from the most experienced, and I'm relatively new (mid '11, right before the bubble burst)

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 10:53:54 PM

I’m so glad you’re ok Atlas. We were all worried about you.
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 12:40:25 AM

I don't think it's very healthy for the decentralized, free, independent, and open reputation of Bitcoin to present Bitcoin-Qt as "THE" client (or even "the standard client"). The protocol is what's standard, not some particular client implementation (regardless if was the first around, or has the most users).

Also, bitcoin.org is just one of many random websites related to Bitcoin. Not "the official Bitcoin site".

I think Bitcoin-Qt is "the" & "standard" client TBH because if you read bitcoin somewhere, you first go to bitcoin.org unless your directly linked elsewhere.
Then Bitcoin-Qt will be the first thing you install, later on something like armory when you learn about it. I'm not familiar with all the clients, but armory needs Bitcoin-Qt to operate the fact they choose to use Bitcoin-Qt as their host, points to the direction Bitcoin-Qt is the standard app.
caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 03:48:46 AM

I think Bitcoin-Qt is "the" & "standard" client TBH because if you read bitcoin somewhere, you first go to bitcoin.org unless your directly linked elsewhere.
Then Bitcoin-Qt will be the first thing you install, later on something like armory when you learn about it. I'm not familiar with all the clients, but armory needs Bitcoin-Qt to operate the fact they choose to use Bitcoin-Qt as their host, points to the direction Bitcoin-Qt is the standard app.

The first site I found was WeUseCoins actually. Then I found Mt. Gox, then Bitcoin.org. Then after that I found blockchain.info, and it was kind of dominoes from then on out. (Damn, now I want Pizza. Papa John's, Domino's sucks around me Tongue [Free pizza's will be graciously received])

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 05:23:32 AM

The first site I found was WeUseCoins actually. Then I found Mt. Gox, then Bitcoin.org. Then after that I found blockchain.info, and it was kind of dominoes from then on out. (Damn, now I want Pizza. Papa John's, Domino's sucks around me Tongue [Free pizza's will be graciously received])

Well I guess its not the same for everyone, but if you mention bitcoin to someone the first thing they're going to do is go to their search engine and put in bitcoin, bitcoin.org is the first thing to come up.
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 07:17:25 AM

It says "The original site offering documentation and open-source Bitcoin software" for me.

caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:50:56 AM

Yeah, your high.  Grin

Never had weed before Tongue Even though I've perused SR before Tongue Maybe because I never browse it when I have money Grin

BTCHybrid

Activity: 73

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:01:45 PM

That is the main website  Huh i think thats why.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:10:57 PM

I don't understand the question.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: