Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:44:13 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I think I got it  (Read 1815 times)
themanone (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 03:14:37 PM

Okay, after reading on Bitcoins for a couple days I think I understand it.

What is the best way to get money.  I know BitInstant is down and that was what I was going to do and send it to my email.  Don't matter credit card, debit, cash is the ways Id prefer.  I really don't want to trade someone in person, or sell giftcards and stuff like that.

Also, if the bitinstant service was up I would be able to send it to an email then get that code and place it in my wallet correct?

If I was to start a wallet in https://blockchain.info/wallet/ That would be a good wallet for me buy bitcoins and then send too that wallet?

Thanks
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 03:20:28 PM

Do not use online wallets as your main wallet, You should always keep your main wallet offline, Ready to use on your main rig (or ready to use USB drive)

Go install a bitcoin wallet client, Like the standard Bitcoin client, Or something user created like Armory
Be careful of usercreated wallet software tho, Many of them can take all your coins with a simple "version update"

Best way to get money? (by selling bitcoins right?) Well i personally do nothing but P2P chat room deals, That way i pay no fees, get Exactly the type of currency and How i get it And everything is clear. But i have a Risk factor
another thing i do is use sites like this one https://fastcash4bitcoins.com/Default.aspx if i cant find anyone to talk to.

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1000

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2012, 03:25:15 PM

You can also try coinbase.com or instawallet, but as JackRabiit has mentioned, best is to keep it in a Bitcoin client.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 03:39:50 PM

. . . Or something user created like Armory
Be careful of user created wallet software tho, Many of them can take all your coins with a simple "version update". . .
Aren't ALL wallets user created?  Aren't the developers of the the "standard Bitcoin client" users too?
themanone (OP)

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 05:44:37 PM

Okay thanks guys ill do that. Create an offline wallet for my main stash then a online one for online transactions which will not contain a lot of coins.  I have been reading about securing my wallet and how too so I got that down.

My only problem now though is buying bitcoins.  Buying through Walmart was good with bitinstant but it being down kind of makes things harder
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 05:54:46 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2012, 06:21:17 PM by flatfly

. . . Or something user created like Armory
Be careful of user created wallet software tho, Many of them can take all your coins with a simple "version update". . .
Aren't ALL wallets user created?  Aren't the developers of the the "standard Bitcoin client" users too?

This is what open source, peer review and code auditing are for. Smiley
Make sure you choose a client that has been sufficiently tested and peer-reviewed.
RyanRed

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 06:06:40 PM

Bitinstant will be back up to purchase bitcoins directly to your wallet at some point. I made a post about this, and they said it will be back Smiley

Another way to get money is setup a Dwolla account, and link it to your bank account. You can start funding Dwolla as soon as you verify the transfers Dwolla will send to your bank. Usually takes 2-3 days. You can then fund Mt. Gox with the Dwolla funds, and vise versa. I recommend getting on that NOW because Dwolla will not transfer money to Mt Gox account without having a 30 days past from your first Dwolla deposit. (It can be a 1 dollar deposit if you wish)

While this isnt as fast as bitinstant, its something you should get the ball rolling on now, so the wait of the 30 days can start ticking away Smiley

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 06:16:04 PM

Without a doubt, the best way to get bitcoins is to start offering an online service or good for sale.  And don't tell me that you have nothing to sell, because that's bs.  That Iphone 1 that you replaced with that Iphone4S, that you would otherwise probably give to your niece to use as a mp3 player; literally anything that you might consider putting up on Ebay.  Anything that you might put up on Etsy.  Extra tradable items for popular video games such as Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Assasin's Creed, etc.  Bitcoin is rooted in Austrian economic theory, and as such, bitcoins are just a medium of exchange.  Products are paid for with other products, in the grand scheme of the economy, and we want to encourage people to engage in trade directly as well as become producers as much as they are consumers. 

Just yesterday, I bought a Horseless Headless Horseman's axe for TF2.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
October 31, 2012, 06:48:04 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2012, 07:21:15 PM by Portnoy

If I was to start a wallet in https://blockchain.info/wallet/ That would be a good wallet for me buy bitcoins and then send too that wallet?

Yes that is fine to use.  They don't keep your unencrypted private keys on their server.
themanone (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 02:05:23 AM

Cool thanks guys for everything.  This is what I'm thinking though, can you tell me if this could work?  If not I'll just wait for bit instant to be up again!

Could I buy Bit coin keys from

Lets just say I buy 5 private bitcoin keys from
https://bitcoinkeys.wildapricot.org/Products

Transfer those private keys to Mt.Gox to have a total of 5 bitcoins in my Mt Gox account.

Then transfer those to my blockchain.info wallet?  Will that work fairly quick?  Or does Mt. Gox take awhile?  I just made an account on there and it seems simple enough?

Thanks again guys for all your help, really helpful.

Rotsor

Activity: 309
Merit: 102

Presale is live!

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 02:17:44 AM

Transfer those private keys to Mt.Gox to have a total of 5 bitcoins in my Mt Gox account.

Then transfer those to my blockchain.info wallet?  Will that work fairly quick?  Or does Mt. Gox take awhile?  I just made an account on there and it seems simple enough?

I don't know why they are selling keys instead of sending bitcoins. Looks a little suspicious. In case they are legitimate, you can claim private keys directly with blockchain.info web client, no need to use Mt.Gox for that. Just go to "Import/Export", "Import Private Key". Make sure to empty (sweep) the private key though so that the person who gave you the private key can't take the money.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 03:22:24 AM

Then transfer those to my blockchain.info wallet?  Will that work fairly quick?  Or does Mt. Gox take awhile?  I just made an account on there and it seems simple enough?

I don't know why they are selling keys instead of sending bitcoins. Looks a little suspicious. In case they are legitimate, you can claim private keys directly with blockchain.info web client, no need to use Mt.Gox for that. Just go to "Import/Export", "Import Private Key". Make sure to empty (sweep) the private key though so that the person who gave you the private key can't take the money.

Yeah, there is no legitimate reason to sell private keys online and a great many risks in trusting someone else to create your keys for you.  Those physical bitcoins are really just metal tokens with a hidden private key, so in person you have to trade private keys & you have to trust that the guys who makes those physical bitcoins is honest; but there is no reason to do something similar online. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

themanone (OP)

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 03:42:25 AM
Last edit: November 01, 2012, 05:59:46 AM by themanone

Cool thanks for the heads up.  I almost went though a couple hundred that could have got me scammed.
Only going to go with trusted methods and sites now.

Was thinking of going through Bit Instant.... from CVS to MtGox.  Then MtGox-->blockchain.info wallet.  Hows that sound?  That would take about a day for everything for the money to be in blockchain.info correct?  I need to buy something soon so this is probably the fastest way I think.

Also Moon, I played TF2 awhile back.  If you want I have some items you can have for free for helping me out I never play anymore.  I think a couple strange things like the knife and ambassador, and like 4-5 refined metals and some other things that you might want, let me know.

Edit...  Okay.  I figured it all out I'm pretty sure and going to do it tommrow.

-Goto BitInstant.  Pay from CVS (In cash) to MtGox account that I created today.

This is where I get confused.  Am I supposed to convert that fund that I got now in MtGox to bitcoins?  Or does it automatically do that for me.

-From MtGox withdraw and send to blockchain.info ewallet by entering my wallet address.

Thank you!
Benson Samuel
Legendary

Activity: 1890

Landscaping Bitcoin for India!

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 12:00:37 PM

you can also buy from coinbase.com directly from a US bank account.

Rotsor

Presale is live!

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:06:17 PM

This is where I get confused.  Am I supposed to convert that fund that I got now in MtGox to bitcoins?  Or does it automatically do that for me.
On MtGox you have to trade your dollars for bitcoins by placing a buy order.

You can place a Market order if you want it done instantly at whatever price people are currently asking.

Or you can place a limit order (by not ticking the "Market order" checkbox) where you specify the worst price you are prepared to buy at, but if you do that then you have the risk of nobody ever selling at that price.

Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:40:25 PM

Do not use online wallets as your main wallet, You should always keep your main wallet offline,
Why? Provided that you can export and backup the private keys, wouldn't an online wallet (like blockchain.info/wallet or strongcoin.com) be just as safe?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Rotsor

Presale is live!

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 02:08:25 PM

there is no legitimate reason to sell private keys online
I'm not sure about that. After reading their ads I'm under impression they say Mt.Gox does not wait for confirmations when importing private keys. Is that so? If so, then it is a security vulnerability in Mt.Gox, which they exploit to do faster transfers.

XMLGold
VIP

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

Bitcoin Exchanger at Best Rate.

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 03:41:42 PM

Make backups everyday!

Convert Your Bitcoins to Bitcoin MasterCard
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 04:00:50 PM

Make backups everyday!
Totally overkill, just tell windows task Schedualer to Copy(duplicate) the file once a week.
Done, Auto backup initiated

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:48:47 PM

there is no legitimate reason to sell private keys online
I'm not sure about that. After reading their ads I'm under impression they say Mt.Gox does not wait for confirmations when importing private keys. Is that so? If so, then it is a security vulnerability in Mt.Gox, which they exploit to do faster transfers.

While it's true that Mt.Gox doesn't wait for confirms, the risk isn't with nor against Mt.Gox.  The risk of handling private keys is that the person you bought it from has retained a copy.  If you have the foresight to buy a private key in order to import it into Mt.Gox rapidly, then you have the foresight to simply send BTC to Mt.Gox at least an hour prior to a trade.  Mt.Gox imports private keys mostly so that people who have recieved a physical bitcoin can use it immediately with them, but that destroys the physical bitcoin.

It's also not a security vulnerability for Mt.Gox, it's a security concern for you.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: