Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:57:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: You are in the Gambling section. You are likely to eventually lose any money that you gamble/"invest". Additionally, moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Do not gamble more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any tom dick harry could register a UK company, virtual office & start scamming?  (Read 661 times)
biggbox (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2015, 11:24:22 PM

Looking back, I realised there were several HYIPs that claimed to have registered UK offices and registered addresses. They even produced a certificate of registration.

Remember platinum-fund.com and several others? They claimed to be officially registered in the UK and have a UK address.

1Cr9iLWm2dSGH8259VQd2wDzpkR63jGVjW
james.lent

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 19, 2015, 11:31:29 PM

It's common nowadays for hyip's to claim they're registered 'somewhere' . It's known as virtual offices , it doesn't exist physically and it's very easy to register one.

Check this thread for an example : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1186667.0
zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 03:43:59 PM

anything can be faked and anything online can be easier to fake LOL. Especially when you are playing ponzi, don't expect anything to be real  Grin
Stroto

Activity: 449
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 05:53:14 PM

I always thought in the UK you get a certificate of registration for free when buying a pack of cigs  Grin
kazetech

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 08:22:36 PM

I always thought in the UK you get a certificate of registration for free when buying a pack of cigs  Grin
It`s not like that but for schemes is best to register in england, the law says you have to give 94% of income but the regulations do nothing
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 08:56:56 PM

It`s not like that but for schemes is best to register in england, the law says you have to give 94% of income but the regulations do nothing

What is that supposed to mean?

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
kazetech

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 10:51:38 PM

What is that supposed to mean?
if you register a trade mark you re ok, if you are not you get under regulations
biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 11:48:42 AM

Mind elaborating further? Smiley

biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 11:49:11 AM

Come on, I'm sure UK is not the most regulated country around. Cheesy

kazetech

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 11:52:15 AM

Come on, I'm sure UK is not the most regulated country around. Cheesy
Exactly.
biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 12:00:26 PM

My point of this discussion is: Why are scammers choosing UK to register their 'business'? Are there reasons behind it? It looks to me you don't need to be a UK resident to register such 'businesses'?

Legitimate and long-term hyips are instead choosing more obscure countries for their business - for i.e merchantshares, pokeram .. they are registered in some off shore islands.

tmfp
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 04:43:17 PM

My point of this discussion is: Why are scammers choosing UK to register their 'business'? Are there reasons behind it? It looks to me you don't need to be a UK resident to register such 'businesses'?

The UK has some sort of respectability among uneducated investors as a place of integrity. People who know better realise this is complete nonsense. Companies House specifically state that it is not their remit to investigate information given to them when a company is registered.

Legitimate and long-term hyips are instead choosing more obscure countries for their business - for i.e merchantshares, pokeram .. they are registered in some off shore islands.

Explain for me what a legitimate hyip is, please... (here's a clue: neither of that the examples you give are.)

biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 04:47:59 PM

Explain for me what a legitimate hyip is, please... (here's a clue: neither of that the examples you give are.)

Whoops.   Cheesy

biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 04:51:17 PM

The UK has some sort of respectability among uneducated investors as a place of integrity. People who know better realise this is complete nonsense. Companies House specifically state that it is not their remit to investigate information given to them when a company is registered.

Has this UK registration thingy been going around for long? Or it only started recently with the BTC craze?

tmfp
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 07:34:39 PM

Has this UK registration thingy been going around for long? Or it only started recently with the BTC craze?

Only about 170 years....  Wink

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companies_House

"In February 2008, The Times and Computer Weekly broke a story that almost 4,000 of the names on the Companies House register of directors were on international watchlists of alleged fraudsters, money launderers, terror financiers and corrupt officials."

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: