Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:31:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Justin Trudeau: 'I will be the prime minister of all Canadians'  (Read 1138 times)
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
October 20, 2015, 06:13:13 AM

Liberals win landslide fighting Tory attacks with optimism, energy

Tale of 2 Trudeaus

The 43-year-old Trudeau is the first son of a prime minister to become a prime minister. He will follow in his father's footsteps, moving his young family into 24 Sussex Dr.

The Trudeau political legacy has been both historic and polarizing, with Pierre Elliott Trudeau bringing in policies of bilingualism, multiculturalism and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms that some consider core Canadian values. But there is also the lingering resentment over controversial policies in Western Canada and Quebec, including the National Energy Program and invoking the War Measures Act.

Charm and charisma are also part of the Trudeau family legacy.

Alex Marland, a political scientist at Memorial University in St. John's, said this campaign was driven by personality politics and the "celebritization" of leaders over more substantive issues.

"Despite the campaign's extraordinary length, we heard relatively little about the finer details of political parties' platforms, or about their potential cabinet members or candidates," he said.

He called it "telling" that Trudeau was not targeted by an onslaught of personal attack ads to counter his surge in the final days of the campaign.

"I suspect that this is because of many Canadians' para-social attachment to Justin Trudeau, who has grown up in the public eye, and who is charismatic. How else to explain why the Conservatives or NDP did not release a last-minute advertising campaign that provokes fear on the scale that we have seen in the past?"

The Liberal comeback is a rebound from the worst defeat in the party's history, in the May 2, 2011, federal election. The party finished in third place, with only 19 per cent of the vote and 34 seats.

Trudeau, a former high school teacher, was first elected in 2008 in the riding of Papineau. The father of three becomes the second-youngest Canadian prime minister in history, after Joe Clark, who was 40.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-trudeau-liberal-major-1.3278681
--
Congrats the legacy continues

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
vero

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 06:17:29 AM

Very scary heading into another term of Trudeau. P.E. Trudeau was so bad for Canada. Brought in our now seriously lax "justice" system that allows criminals to wander free and leaves victims to suffer for decades.

Seketsuna

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 07:26:34 AM

It's what they voted for, power lies with the people, not armchair quarterbacks who think they know better. Maybe the conservative party should get their shit together.
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 08:11:30 AM

It will be interesting

Some highlights are that the TPP will get analyzed more, privacy might be given bit more power with tweaking of Bill C-51, some revenue matters will change such as the TFSA amounts and premiers will talk with the Prime Minister more often than once every ten year and aboriginals will have a stronger voice.

All in all we might even see Canada go back to a peacekeeping view on global issues and the niqab issue will be put to bed.

Trudeau will hopefully support Energy East since Keystone XL is and has been in Obamas hands and been delayed a dang long time and Trudeau said he planned to kill the Northern Gateway project giving him one option to reconcile with Alberta. Kinder Morgan is an unknown.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/trudeau-pipelines-northern-gateway-kinder-morgan-1.3280444

"If I win the honour of serving as prime minister, the Northern Gateway Project will not happen," said Trudeau after the pipeline was approved last summer.
"I've been to that part of the world. I've met with many who make their living off the pristine coastal waters. It is just not a place for a pipeline.

In July, Trudeau stopped short of offering unqualified support to the Energy East pipeline, which would carry Alberta crude east, saying he wants to let the regulatory process unfold first.

"It's important that we get our resources to market, but it's also important that we understand that it's not just up to governments to grant permits anymore. We have to get communities to grant permission and that's something that we need to spend more time focusing on," Trudeau said.

But Jobs is what we are looking for.

mikovirgoez

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2015, 08:18:57 AM

Terimakasih.
Apakah ini bisa untuk mendapatkan bitcoin?
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 09:12:03 AM

Terimakasih.
Apakah ini bisa untuk mendapatkan bitcoin?

May be a lost newbie so answers in Indonesian for them instead of a report.

Bagian Indonesia terletak di sini
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=191.0
---

Throws in a Globe and Mail article to stay on topic.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/after-a-decade-long-conservative-reign-whats-on-trudeaus-justice-agenda/article26885833/

And a combo-break article
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/conservatives-maintain-calgary-stronghold-quashing-liberal-hopes/article26881270/

Very scary heading into another term of Trudeau. P.E. Trudeau was so bad for Canada. Brought in our now seriously lax "justice" system that allows criminals to wander free and leaves victims to suffer for decades.

Perhaps I'll highlight that part for you vero:

7. Undoing the tough-on-crime agenda:

i. Dealing with court challenges (criminal): Challenges are before the courts on mandatory minimum sentences for growing six or more marijuana plants; on a victim surcharge that all convicted criminals must pay, including impecunious ones; on the stripping of citizenship from convicted terrorists who are dual citizens; and on the doubling of the waiting period to receive a pardon for certain crimes. (To name a few.) The Liberals will need to decide whether to continue the fight for these Conservative-era laws or drop the laws.

ii. Reducing the number of prisoners: The number of federal prisoners rose to an all-time high under the Conservatives, even as the crime rate fell. And the costs rose sharply, too, even as many federal departments had their budgets cut. What will the Liberals do about it? Will they restore the conditional sentences – usually known as house arrest – created in 1996 by Liberal justice minister Allan Rock?

iii. Addressing the rising proportion of aboriginal prisoners: The tough-on-crime agenda has fallen most harshly on aboriginals, who now make up 23.2 per cent of the 15,000-plus federal prisoners, though they are just 4 per cent of the population. Despite a Liberal sentencing law that requires special treatment in sentencing for aboriginals, their numbers have soared under the Conservatives. Will a Liberal government give this area extra attention?

iv. Abolishing mandatory sentences: A key battleground between Parliament and the judges. The Conservatives tied judges’ hands by creating a whopping 60 minimums for drugs, guns, sex offences and other crimes. The Liberals say they don’t believe in mandatory minimums for most crimes. But by excising them, they run the risk of being seen as soft on crime, perhaps even tolerant of child sexual abuse.

v. Changing the ground rules for murder, sentencing and non-violent crime: The Conservatives got rid of the faint-hope clause that gave convicted murderers a chance at parole after 15 years. They also allowed parole-eligibility periods to be added together, so that multiple killers may face 50, 75 or more years in prison. Their Truth in Sentencing Act, though watered down by the Supreme Court from the stated objective of one day credit for each day in pretrial custody, did reduce the near-automatic credit for each day served to 1.5 days, down from two. And the Conservatives abolished near-automatic early parole for first-time non-violent federal offenders. Would the Liberals see a political gain in messing with any of that?

And what measures would they create on the other side to show that they are not wimps on crime? The platform offered minor ideas, such as increasing the maximum sentence for repeat wife abusers.

gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
October 21, 2015, 03:08:55 PM

Trudeau, like his dad, had a huge advantage in his charisma. never a good reason to elect someone, but it beats the hell outta Harper. Mulcair on the other hand lost because he has zero charisma (not to mention a weak platform)

I remember Trudeau the 1st. dude was pretteh cool guy. smoked dope with the rolling stones, was in a bike gang in college... but he was a strong humanitarian leader with progressive ideas. his "soft on crime" policies were a good thing, look at the states and their Prison-Industrial-Complex... that is a terrible thing for a nation to become. Hopefully Trudeau Jr. has some of the wit and gumption of his old man. I seriously doubt he has as much "heart"
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:50:54 AM

Trudeau, like his dad, had a huge advantage in his charisma. never a good reason to elect someone, but it beats the hell outta Harper. Mulcair on the other hand lost because he has zero charisma (not to mention a weak platform)

I remember Trudeau the 1st. dude was pretteh cool guy. smoked dope with the rolling stones, was in a bike gang in college... but he was a strong humanitarian leader with progressive ideas. his "soft on crime" policies were a good thing, look at the states and their Prison-Industrial-Complex... that is a terrible thing for a nation to become. Hopefully Trudeau Jr. has some of the wit and gumption of his old man. I seriously doubt he has as much "heart"

I remember his legacy did a lot of good things he made friends with Cuba, got us the Charter made peace with Quebec and started a Trudeaumania trend, legacies of the National Energy Program aside there were a lot of good things about being softer on crime and earning a strong positive relationship abroad.

The interesting tenant for me is the legalization of Marijuana and the giant and I mean Giant amount of tax revenue that might come out of it.
Rather than having a failed system.

As for decriminalization well I do not think we want to imitate the US and have very high incarceration rates, on the other hand we might have some interesting cases where prisoners who were arrested for Marijuana possession will need to be set free from prisons.

I did enjoy this video from John Oliver it has some great scenes like Trudeau falling down a pile of stairs and some real funny jokes and quips like all the $5000 bling part at the end against Harper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V5ckcTSYu8

Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:03:40 AM

And what measures would they create on the other side to show that they are not wimps on crime? The platform offered minor ideas, such as increasing the maximum sentence for repeat wife abusers.

Does it matter if they are tough or weak on crime? They should be looking at recidivism rates. If people are going back to prison after serving their time. Which means looking at if the prison system really works or just holds people for some time. And then seeing how they can change that to improve it. The recidivism rate is very high in the us. But much lower in some european countries for example where they are more lenient. Not necessarily like norway giving playstations to their inmates though.
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:54:39 AM

Does it matter if they are tough or weak on crime? They should be looking at recidivism rates. If people are going back to prison after serving their time. Which means looking at if the prison system really works or just holds people for some time. And then seeing how they can change that to improve it. The recidivism rate is very high in the us. But much lower in some european countries for example where they are more lenient. Not necessarily like norway giving playstations to their inmates though.

Just clarifying that was not my quote its an excerpt from the Globe and Mail Article
That said recidivism is important for those that have a chance to reintegrate into society as much as it is about punishment it is also about making sure that when they are returned to society they will be capable of coming back into society and be productive after learning their lesson.

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:57:14 AM

Its like the usd.. Park your money in the lesser of all evils.

Yes we need liberals.. Im bullish on canada now for 4 yrs before it changes amd crashes bigtime.. We will stay afloat now through the anti govt turmoil thats about to begin world wide.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 01:23:06 PM

A few months from now, the Canadians will be cursing Trudeau and his gang. He will be even worse than his father. The only people who are going to benefit under his rule are the criminals, terrorists and the illegal immigrants. He will destroy the natural gas, petroleum and mining industries. And he will force the IT sector to flee to the US.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:47:22 PM

A few months from now, the Canadians will be cursing Trudeau and his gang. He will be even worse than his father. The only people who are going to benefit under his rule are the criminals, terrorists and the illegal immigrants. He will destroy the natural gas, petroleum and mining industries. And he will force the IT sector to flee to the US.
-5%
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:42:09 PM

-5%

I'm Canadian and the backlash has already begun. It has almost nothing to do with his making life easy for criminals etc. but there is some questions about his attitude towards the natural gas sector. its a huge part of our economy and is already suffering... He voted FOR bill C-51 which gives the govt. the power to spy on everybody and their internet... but mostly the citizens are starting to realize that it is a mistake to vote for someone because they are cute.

His dad was a lawyer, a Rhodes scholar, he stood up to home grown terrorists of his time (separatists the FLQ) he spoke his mind and was a generally cool guy and good leader. His son, on the other hand, is a pretty boy who grew up in privilege and has no real experience dealing with the realities of world politics.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 03:54:29 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2015, 04:15:52 PM by bryant.coleman

His stand on terrorism and secularism is shady at the best. See this:

http://spectator.org/blog/64413/liberal-party-supporters-chant-niqab-niqab-during-trudeaus-victory-speech

If Justin Trudeau remains in office for five or six years, this is going to be the official dress code for the Canadian women:

I am pretty much sure that this guy supports the introduction of Shakira Law as well.
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 09:17:50 PM

-5%

I'm Canadian and the backlash has already begun. It has almost nothing to do with his making life easy for criminals etc. but there is some questions about his attitude towards the natural gas sector. its a huge part of our economy and is already suffering... He voted FOR bill C-51 which gives the govt. the power to spy on everybody and their internet... but mostly the citizens are starting to realize that it is a mistake to vote for someone because they are cute.

His dad was a lawyer, a Rhodes scholar, he stood up to home grown terrorists of his time (separatists the FLQ) he spoke his mind and was a generally cool guy and good leader. His son, on the other hand, is a pretty boy who grew up in privilege and has no real experience dealing with the realities of world politics.

These are claims without facts... C-51 power to spy? Source? That's like another NSA. Also having his dad is a benefit who can help him out and he can turn to him when he needs help. This is a PRO not a CON. I don't really care for the leader, but I am for liberals and what they stand for, we need more spending currently. Once we get more spending we can keep on par without drowning in the global economy. I don't expect us to last long but with liberals here we can atleast stay afloat. I bet after 4 years they are gone thats when SHTF moment starts.
freedomno1 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 11:25:14 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2015, 11:52:41 PM by freedomno1

-5%

These are claims without facts... C-51 power to spy? Source? That's like another NSA. Also having his dad is a benefit who can help him out and he can turn to him when he needs help. This is a PRO not a CON. I don't really care for the leader, but I am for liberals and what they stand for, we need more spending currently. Once we get more spending we can keep on par without drowning in the global economy. I don't expect us to last long but with liberals here we can atleast stay afloat. I bet after 4 years they are gone thats when SHTF moment starts.

His dad is dead, Castro and a few other people went to the funeral it was a national one so not sure where you got the turn to him if he needs help besides the spiritual sort.

As for C-51 he was neutral more less after that attack on parliament but its being revamped according to the post to remove the most intrusive elements of it.

That said I think we give to little credit to Trudeau he is a teacher but the Conservatives sure pissed off a lot of people saying he was unintelligent because of his occupation it implies all our teachers are just not ready.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_and_state_funeral_of_Pierre_Trudeau
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/liberals-planning-swift-overhaul-of-controversial-anti-terrorism-act-or-bill-c-51
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/22/ten-things-to-expect-from-the-liberal-rewrite-of-the-omnibus-security-law-c-51_n_8362462.html

http://www.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Columnists/2015-08-14/article-4245073/In-defence-of-teachers/1

The notion that a teacher is somehow unqualified or unfit to be prime minister is profoundly insulting, not only to teachers, but to millions of other people who work in regular, largely unsung professions.

Imagine if the Tories proclaimed someone to be “not ready” because he or she was a nurse, or a carpenter. This goes against the important democratic principle that the people elect their governors from among their peers.

The hard reality is harsh. Canadians have instead chosen to be governed by a collection of lawyers, business people and professional politicians.

Our democracy has reached a sad state indeed when common people have little chance of entering the Commons. Mocking someone for having been a teacher is on par with mocking a candidate who is a social worker, a welder, an engineer, a taxi driver and so on. It is an affront to the vital democratic concept of attaining good government by electing a wide variety of competent people

d-trix

Activity: 459
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 05:58:25 AM

Well, I guess it's Canada's turn now. A white version of Obama who entered politics in 2008 and whose total previous experience was as an activist. Should be fun to watch.
confirmation120

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 06:29:21 AM

I totally agree the trouble is already starting they gotta be careful.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 04:18:59 PM

Well, I guess it's Canada's turn now. A white version of Obama who entered politics in 2008 and whose total previous experience was as an activist. Should be fun to watch.

I will be happy if he refrains from warmongering, unlike the outgoing president Stephen Harper. Harper was a complete failure as far as the economy was considered, and he tried to hide his wrongdoings by indulging in Russophobia and personal attacks. I am seeing some positive changes as far as foreign policy is concerned. For example, Trudeau have withdrawn Canadian jets from Syria.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: