Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:39:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we agree that Pirate is a scammer, or are people in denial?  (Read 2761 times)
misterbigg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 01:40:02 AM

So it's basically November, are people still thinking that they are going to get paid eventually by Pirate?

What happened to the people who bought the Pirate debt for satoshis on the btc?

Did GLBSE get wound down properly?
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 02:10:03 AM

The silence is deafening.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
misterbigg (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 03:26:28 AM

The silence is deafening.

What?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 04:53:21 AM

Also, Bitcoinica, Bitcoin Consultancy, Bitcoinica Consultancy, Amir, Patrick, etc, etc,...

It's good to have a reminder every now and then.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2012, 05:10:47 AM

Don't you worry there is gonna be the next one.
ICBIT I'm waving at ya.
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:21:40 AM

Now, I agree that pirate is a scammer. Up until GPUMax closing announcement, I still had faith in pirate, since I couldn't believe somebody could be so dumb to ruin GPUMax.

Well, it seems I'm wrong, somebody was dumb enough to ruin what was the project with the most potential around here. My GPU were so ready for it... Embarrassed
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:47:17 AM

The only potential GPUMax had was being a powerful weapon to destroy the bitcoin network. Good riddance.

ldrgn

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 06:03:21 AM

The only potential GPUMax had was being a powerful weapon to destroy the bitcoin network. Good riddance.

Why are you a moderator?  You clearly don't understand Bitcoin.
Brunic

Activity: 632

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 07:46:04 AM

Why are you a moderator?  You clearly don't understand Bitcoin.

Touché!

Seriously Maged, you also think Coinlab is a powerful weapon to destroy the bitcoin network too? Come on...
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 10:06:42 AM

Magad

Could you explain?  I have heard form more the a few users that GPUMax was a great resource.
Thanks.
Vladimir

Activity: 812

-

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 10:17:34 AM

So it's basically November, are people still thinking that they are going to get paid eventually by Pirate?

I thought this was pretty clear as early as May 2012 (and earlier for those with a brain who happened to learn about this 7-10% a week proposition earlier).

-
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:16:42 AM

Magad

Could you explain?  I have heard form more the a few users that GPUMax was a great resource.
Thanks.
That's part of why it was so dangerous. More importantly, though, because it was just a mining proxy, it was literally impossible for anyone to know how much mining power GPUMax controlled through those proxy connections. In light of what we now know about Pirate it's fair to say that his entire goal with GPUMax was to leverage his ponzi-gained trust along with shiny features to silently build up over 50% of the network's hashing power through his proxy. Then, once his ponzi reached its peak, he'd unleash this power against the network, blame it on a hack or something, then run away with his ponzi gains while we were too busy cleaning up the mess to notice. In fact, he probably thought that the attack would permanently destroy bitcoin, so people wouldn't even care that he ran.

Luckily for us, he was still building up the technical capacity to do this attack when his ponzi collapsed. If you still don't think that was the goal Pirate had for GPUMax, then you are still in denial. Thus, the OP's point has been made.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:19:39 AM

Thanks Maged for that informed explanation.

So now we are crediting Trendon Shavers with being an evil Master Mind  (He did make off with aprox. $2M USD worth of bitcoin)?

I'd be curious to hear other opinions about GPUMax.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:25:35 AM

So now we are crediting Trendon Shavers with being an evil Master Mind  (He did make off with aprox. $2M USD worth of bitcoin)?

Yeah I wouldn't really call it "mastermind".  When your plan requires the abject stupidity of others in order to work it is hardly a mastermind.

Pirate borrowed BTC and sold them for USD.  TL/DR version he was massively short (probably the shortest short in the history of Bitcoin).  He had no way to pay the interest obligation at the current exchange rate.  However 500K BTC is pretty easy to pay off if BTC fell to say $0.10 USD:BTC.

So:
a) Pirate had no end game, he was just as delusional as his investors
or
b) Pirate was the worlds worst ponzi operator but lucked out that he found a group of people more idiotic than him who ALSO didn't really mind losing millions of dollars (actions speak louder than words here).
or
c) Pirate's "plan" was to tank BTC exchange rate and thus massively devalue his debt.  Doesn't matter if the plan was dubious or not.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:33:42 AM

Oh, and remember that huge wave of GPUMax invites that went out after BS&T collapsed? That was one last-ditch effort to kill bitcoin and drop the price further.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:34:49 AM

Clearly he (and his PPT's??)  had the confidence thing down.  

Did he/do you really think he could have captured more then 51% of the network hashing power?
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:35:35 AM

Yeah I wouldn't really call it "mastermind".  When your plan requires the abject stupidity of others in order to work it is hardly a mastermind.

Pirate borrowed BTC and sold them for USD.  TL/DR version he was massively short (probably the shortest short in the history of Bitcoin).  He had no way to pay the interest obligation at the current exchange rate.  However 500K BTC is pretty easy to pay off if BTC fell to say $0.10 USD:BTC.

So:
a) Pirate had no end game, he was just as delusional as his investors
or
b) Pirate was the worlds worst ponzi operator but lucked out that he found a group of people more idiotic than him who ALSO didn't really mind losing millions of dollars (actions speak louder than words here).
or
c) Pirate's "plan" was to tank BTC exchange rate and thus massively devalue his debt.  Doesn't matter if the plan was dubious or not.

Actually, his plan nigh-on succeeded, if not for a few pesky inconveniences. Look at August charts.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:40:07 AM

Clearly he (and his PPT's??)  had the confidence thing down.  

Did he/do you really think he could have captured more then 51% of the network hashing power?
Absolutely, no question. Remember that whole invite-only thing GPUMax had? Well, the way that works is the same way it worked for the ponzi, and you saw how that went down.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:41:50 AM

I don't remember the whole invite thing.  I was not following pirate or GPUMax before the default.  That is why I am asking.  Thanks.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 03:31:44 AM

I was pretty sure this was the plan from nearly day 1. I figured he was going to do it via massive holdings and spooky walls, but a 51% attack would work just as well, I suppose, and fits well with the rest of the evidence.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: