Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:27:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we agree that Pirate is a scammer, or are people in denial?  (Read 2763 times)
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 04:12:37 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2012, 05:03:13 PM by Transisto

Magad

Could you explain?  I have heard form more the a few users that GPUMax was a great resource.
Thanks.
That's part of why it was so dangerous. More importantly, though, because it was just a mining proxy, it was literally impossible for anyone to know how much mining power GPUMax controlled through those proxy connections. In light of what we now know about Pirate it's fair to say that his entire goal with GPUMax was to leverage his ponzi-gained trust along with shiny features to silently build up over 50% of the network's hashing power through his proxy. Then, once his ponzi reached its peak, he'd unleash this power against the network, blame it on a hack or something, then run away with his ponzi gains while we were too busy cleaning up the mess to notice. In fact, he probably thought that the attack would permanently destroy bitcoin, so people wouldn't even care that he ran.

Luckily for us, he was still building up the technical capacity to do this attack when his ponzi collapsed. If you still don't think that was the goal Pirate had for GPUMax, then you are still in denial. Thus, the OP's point has been made.
I've been using GPUMAX since it's first week,

* It was easy to estimate how much hashing gpumax had just by purchasing a lease at a hefty price.
* GPUMAX was a proxy than improved mining even when not leasing, it claimed to achieve lower stale / reject.
* GPUMAX wasn't really a cash cow for miners, it would sometime pay 15% on top of PPS but would do so less than an hours per day.
* GPUMAX had nowhere near 51% of hashing power.
* GPUMAX Had been invite only for almost the whole time.

I did not keep mining at GPUMAX because the extra reward was not worth the occasional downtime and problems.

I know very little about the people who were leasing there, It was either for A. Pool Hopping, or B. BTC laundering. or Huh

@OP, Yes, he's a scammer and I'd really like to know what plan he had.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 11:35:00 PM

I've been using GPUMAX since it's first week,

* It was easy to estimate how much hashing gpumax had just by purchasing a lease at a hefty price.
What about people that didn't lease at any price? Besides, Pirate could have easily artificially limited the amount of public work that got done at any price.
* GPUMAX had nowhere near 51% of hashing power.
Of course. I never said that they did, just that it was bound to happen.
* GPUMAX Had been invite only for almost the whole time.
Just like BS&T.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: