Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:02:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Post moved without a [MOVED] tag and to the wrong section!  (Read 721 times)
bittenbob (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 12:35:20 PM

Last night WalletBit created a thread called FREE BITCOINS in which we were giving away free bitcoins. Today I notice that this post is no longer in the same part of the forum and indeed there is no trace. It was moved to gambling which makes no sense at all. It does not require any money to be spent and is therefore not gambling. In addition to the free bitcoins in the thread there was an Easter egg hunt for free bitcoins on the forum.

Why was this moved to gambling? Where is the [MOVED] Tag that appears on every other moved thread? Is this an error in the forum?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 12:57:52 AM

Last night WalletBit created a thread called FREE BITCOINS in which we were giving away free bitcoins. Today I notice that this post is no longer in the same part of the forum and indeed there is no trace. It was moved to gambling which makes no sense at all. It does not require any money to be spent and is therefore not gambling. In addition to the free bitcoins in the thread there was an Easter egg hunt for free bitcoins on the forum.

Why was this moved to gambling? Where is the [MOVED] Tag that appears on every other moved thread? Is this an error in the forum?
Where was it created? I just moved it to Service Announcements, since that seems to be the most appropriate board I could find.

Anyway, we don't have to leave [Moved] threads, it's just a checkbox option on the move page. Usually, I only leave them if I feel that some people on a certain board might be interested in it (which is almost all of the time in Bitcoin Discussion), but other moderators have their own way of deciding when to leave them.

bittenbob (OP)

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 02:20:01 AM

It was created in Bitcoin Discussion because we wanted to make sure as many people as possible got a chance to get the free Bitcoins. Thank you for the explanation and announcements is a more appropriate section than gambling so I can live with that.

Where was it created? I just moved it to Service Announcements, since that seems to be the most appropriate board I could find.

Anyway, we don't have to leave [Moved] threads, it's just a checkbox option on the move page. Usually, I only leave them if I feel that some people on a certain board might be interested in it (which is almost all of the time in Bitcoin Discussion), but other moderators have their own way of deciding when to leave them.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:50:01 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2012, 05:00:23 AM by Maged

We need a Giveaways/Contests (non-gambling) board. I see this far too often and none of the moderators have a consensus about where the threads are supposed to go. Some mods think they belong in service discussion or announcements, some think project development, some think bitcoin discussion, some think Games and Rounds in gambling, and some think off-topic. And if the giveaway/contest in any way involves mining? Well, you're totally screwed, because then it could also go in Mining, Hardware, or Custom Hardware. Besides, a Giveaways/Contests board is one that people would be more likely to check, so it's a great way to advertise. I've already let theymos know about this and I'm waiting to hear back.

BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 06:09:34 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2012, 01:40:41 PM by BadBear

Games and rounds fits perfectly, was a suggestion from theymos after some discussion a while back.
Games and rounds
Spreadsheet games, forum-based games, and discussion of individual rounds/games on other sites.

Therefore we are giving out 10 x 0.1 BTC ($1.13) redeemable codes at random after any response in this thread.

If it wasn't for that, sure it'd go someplace else. I have no sympathy for companies who pay users to spam the forums, that's not why the forums are here.

I moved it back...again. I thought we resolved these types of issues a couple months ago after another incident, but either you've forgotten or don't care. If you don't understand the actions of another moderator then take it up with them directly, take it up with theymos, or make a thread about it. Stop interfering with other's moderation, and stop wasting other people's time with your mistakes please. Far be it from me to tell anyone what to do, but a better suggestion would be to wait for the moderator involved to respond if/when they have time.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 11:25:03 PM

Games and rounds fits perfectly, was a suggestion from theymos after some discussion a while back.
Games and rounds
Spreadsheet games, forum-based games, and discussion of individual rounds/games on other sites.

Therefore we are giving out 10 x 0.1 BTC ($1.13) redeemable codes at random after any response in this thread.

If it wasn't for that, sure it'd go someplace else. I have no sympathy for companies who pay users to spam the forums, that's not why the forums are here.
Fair enough.

I moved it back...again. I thought we resolved these types of issues a couple months ago after another incident, but either you've forgotten or don't care.
I did forget. I don't move stuff very often, so forgive me if I forgot something so specific that doesn't make sense in the first place.

If you don't understand the actions of another moderator then take it up with them directly, take it up with theymos, or make a thread about it.
I would have if I would have known who moved it. But you're right, I should have just asked theymos.
Stop interfering with other's moderation, and stop wasting other people's time with your mistakes please. Far be it from me to tell anyone what to do, but a better suggestion would be to wait for the moderator involved to respond if/when they have time.
I'll keep that in mind.

Kris
Donator

Activity: 640

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 12:33:19 AM
Last edit: November 03, 2012, 12:45:23 AM by Kris

Undecided It was simply an idea to get the most amount of people to see the new features, which I am very proud of. It was not intended for them to spam the forums in any way. Unless you count replies to the new features spam? None the less I have no say on this forum, and am forced to apply to whatever being decided.
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:27:45 AM

I'd personally love a contest/giveaway section that I could check daily...  With the stipulation being it has to be a true giveaway or otherwise it belongs in gamblings.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: