Print  
Author Topic: HI All  (Read 2051 times)
thebonenz (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:17:56 AM

Hi All,

I'm a newbie hobby miner that has been on the forums a couple weeks now.

I decided to get into hobby mining when I started learning about PGP encryption, which lead me to crypto currencies and then here! I had known about BTC for years but did not have the time to get involved. But I got laid off at work so I have time! (there's always an upside haha). I'm a geek but don't work in the tech world so my geek isn't as strong as it used to be. Part of my job is to look at global culture and what trends could possibly influence the future. I think BTC is placed potentially be really important in the future and I want to be a part of that in some small way!

I've found this forum invaluable! and the community is generally awesome.

I'm based in Australia so finding hardware has been a mission but I've picked up an antminer S4 really cheap which is on the way! So learning how to hit the ground running.

I'm planning to start on Kano and CK's pool and try some P2Pool mining in the near future also.

I'm not overly worried about making ROI as I have a cheap rig and free electricity atm. I'm loving the learning experience.

Thanks to everyone who has already helped me! My mind is a sponge atm loving it. If you have any advice I'm always looking to learn more!

Thebonenz Smiley 

Newbie hobby miner who just picked up an S4!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:24:49 AM

I'm not overly worried about making ROI as I have a cheap rig and free electricity atm. I'm loving the learning experience.

Welcome to the forum.  Wish it didn't take you losing your job to get you here!

But if you have "free" power somehow you are pretty set on mining.  That eliminates a lot of the cost to say the least.  I am not that lucky myself.
thebonenz (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 04:39:06 AM

Welcome to the forum.  Wish it didn't take you losing your job to get you here!

But if you have "free" power somehow you are pretty set on mining.  That eliminates a lot of the cost to say the least.  I am not that lucky myself.

Haha thanks it's not that bad hopefully I can pick up some freelance work for the rest of the year then see where next year takes me! But more than happy to accept donations to the cause haha

My flatmates might get pissed at the noise of my beast when it arrives though! :/

MikeCoin

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 06:30:20 AM

Hi All,

I decided to get into hobby mining when I started learning about PGP encryption, which lead me to crypto currencies and then here! I had known about BTC for years but did not have the time to get involved. But I got laid off at work so I have time! (there's always an upside haha). I'm a geek but don't work in the tech world so my geek isn't as strong as it used to be. Part of my job is to look at global culture and what trends could possibly influence the future. I think BTC is placed potentially be really important in the future and I want to be a part of that in some small way!

I'm based in Australia so finding hardware has been a mission but I've picked up an antminer S4 really cheap which is on the way! So learning how to hit the ground running.

I'm planning to start on Kano and CK's pool and try some P2Pool mining in the near future also.

Thanks to everyone who has already helped me! My mind is a sponge atm loving it. If you have any advice I'm always looking to learn more!

Thebonenz Smiley 

Welcome back to the forums.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 01:36:49 PM

Welcome to the forum and to the Bitcoin world! We are here to help if you have any problems, questions, etc. And yes, it wouldn't be bad if you could bring us a friend or two of yours into Bitcoin. Smiley

Good luck!
SerenaL

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:23:51 PM

Good luck with your mining. Are the electric costs pricey there in Australia?
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:26:20 PM

Welcome and happy mining.

Mining bitcoin is not really profitable nowadays, except you have free electric bills or cheap power.
you can see the difficult here: http://www.coinwarz.com/cryptocurrency not only bitcoin, you can mining other cryptocurrency too, but the lack of altcoin is easy to manipulate.
minerfool

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 02:43:38 PM

best of luck ... your electric bill is key to profiting!

winguard

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 05:31:36 PM

Welcome to the forum mate Smiley and goodluck to your mining venture.
Pyr3x

Activity: 602

View Profile
October 22, 2015, 08:58:51 PM

Welcome! I am happy to see more people jumping into the mining game! Anything to support the network helps!

On the other hand should you have any questions I am more than willing to help if I can and I am sure many others here would love to help as well!

[/quote]

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█       P A X F U L       █  █        ЛУЧШAЯ P2P ПЛATФOPMA ДЛЯ CДEЛOК C БИTКOИHOM         █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█  █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2015, 09:37:11 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you done any reading on the Mining board? Here's the link -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0

Good luck with the new hobby.

thebonenz (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:08:10 AM

Welcome to the Forum!

Have you done any reading on the Mining board? Here's the link -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0

Good luck with the new hobby.

Yeah I've read everything I thought would be helpful in most of the forums here!

Thanks all for the support!

RealBitcoin

Activity: 854
Merit: 1009

JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 04:49:36 AM

Hi All,

Thebonenz Smiley 

Wow thats a very inspirational story, yes a mining pool is great, help the bitcoin network, and lower TX fees.

I hope you get many australians joining you, i see you have a big community there!

zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:03:06 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum! Glad to see someone with such an interesting story coming to this forum to learn about new trends of the world Grin In my opinion, unless you have unlimited or free power, you shouldn't mine bitcoin. Bitcoin now is the big guys' game though you have free electricity. There are still a lot of coin out there which use the same algo to bitcoin for you to try Grin You can find more and more coins at the alternate currencies forum! Good luck on your journey!
jacktheking
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Personal Text Space Not For Sale

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 03:41:23 PM

Hello and welcome to the world of Bitcoin. I'm not a good miner and I dont want to give you wrong advice on mining. Here is some other tips you may want to take note of. 1. Faucets is good for transaction fees only - dont expect to earn too much with faucets. 2. Bitcoin is very volatile and so you must check the value everyday. 3. Buy and sell Bitcoin from trusted website only - my favorite one would be OKCoin. 4. Dont gamble your Bitcoin - there is lot of gambling website based around Bitcoin, but, dont ever gamble your Bitcoin. 5. Stay away from HYIP site - "120% return in 99 hours" alike site.

Also, keep up your post quality. With good post quality, you can expect to earn some extra income from signature campaign.

So sad! This profile does not appear as the #1 result (on anonymous) Google searches anymore.

Time to be active on the crypto forums again? Proud to be one of the few Legendary members of the Sparkie Red Dot!

Gonna put this on my resume if I ever join a cryptocurrency/blockchain industry!
CryptoTrout

Activity: 706

https://twitter.com/CryptoTrout

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 05:33:59 PM

here is a great free online course about bitcoin & mining https://www.coursera.org/course/bitcointech

it should fill your sponge right up
thebonenz (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 01:19:46 AM

here is a great free online course about bitcoin & mining https://www.coursera.org/course/bitcointech

it should fill your sponge right up

Haha I just did a coursea course on advertsing through Duke yeah I'll have a look thanks!

thebonenz (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 01:22:24 AM

Hi and welcome to the forum! Glad to see someone with such an interesting story coming to this forum to learn about new trends of the world Grin In my opinion, unless you have unlimited or free power, you shouldn't mine bitcoin. Bitcoin now is the big guys' game though you have free electricity. There are still a lot of coin out there which use the same algo to bitcoin for you to try Grin You can find more and more coins at the alternate currencies forum! Good luck on your journey!

Are alt coins worth the time? I thought we were struggling to get BTC mainstream?

zodiac3011

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 04:13:27 AM

Are alt coins worth the time? I thought we were struggling to get BTC mainstream?
In my opinion, I think that Bitcoin is the mainstream but it's kinda old at the moment. Furthermore, mining bitcoins is now nearly impossible for small miners so many developers create themselves a new coin. And yes. Many alternate coins are worth. There are a lot of project which are huge successes, for you to discover Grin I will try to suggest some: Burst for its unique mining method: with HDD, NXT for its forging method to earn (somewhat like Proof of stake (earn interest by opening the wallet for a long time) you can try litecoin - a version of bitcoin but with different algorithm, XDN for its untracable transaction, etherum- new kind of coin  but I dont have time looking into it yet, Spreadcoin for its truly decentralized mining and many more! However not all can be mined with your Antminers some need GPU some need HDD and some need RAM to mine ( forgot what the name of the coin is Grin ). One more thing some coins are just about pump and dump so please look into it carefully before try it
CryptoCanary
Legendary

Activity: 1076
Merit: 1006

Canary in the crypto mine!

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 04:25:25 AM

This is exciting and reminds me of the sleepless nights when I first started learning about mining. I am sure we all remember lol. Awesome, have fun, and welcome to the forum. Don't worry about ROI with free electricity. You will surly achieve ROI and then its all profits. Do realize your mining equipment will gobble electricity so, careful not to wear out your welcome on however you are getting the free electricity.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: