Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:01:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper backup usable two times?!!?  (Read 817 times)
WiiD (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 12:33:20 AM

FUCK FUCK FUCK

Due to a mistake I just wanted to restore my watching-only-wallet with the paper backup on the online computer.
I wrote the paper backup, confirmed it, then I was asked to confirm the new password. Then I realized that I am wrong and cancelled.
Did I just used the paper backup or wasnt it confirmed because I did not choose a new password?
If I used the paper backup, is my wallet now without password and can I use my paper backup again?!?!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:21:09 AM

Okay my initial post is a bit weird, I am just upset because it is muuuuuch BTC, my whole life savings.
So again:

I just crashed my Online PC and had no access to my BTCs. Bought a new laptop and installed Armory+Bitcoin Core. Updated it, then imported my watching-only-wallet-copy from my USB Stick. It scanned, than it showed me only an old amount of my BTCs, and all newer transactions were missing. I panicked as fuck and then I did the following:

I just used the paper backup on my online PC. I wrote the 2 lines, clicked continue. Then I was asked to set up a password, but did not do that because I realized that I am not restoring my watching-only-wallet, but actually my offline wallet, but with that is anything fine. I have access to my offline wallet/PC and I know the password.  But now, after I used the paper backup, is my password access to that wallet still the same?

After I did that, I just realized that I have to go to my offline-pc, click "create watching only copy" and import THAT NEW data in my new online PC. That is the reason why the old data showing only the old amount, because when I exported it from my Offline PC that was my actual amount. Right?

So my main question is now: Am I fucked, because my old passphrase for my offline wallet is not valid anymore because I used the paper backup on my online PC, but I did not confirmed any new password? Or did the paper wallet just get confirmed after I gave it a new password?

PLEASE HELP CALM ME DOWN IT IS SOOO MUCH MONEY....
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:27:03 AM

I just used the paper backup on my online PC. I wrote the 2 lines, clicked continue. Then I was asked to set up a password, but did not do that because I realized that I am not restoring my watching-only-wallet, but actually my offline wallet, but with that is anything fine. I have access to my offline wallet/PC and I know the password.  But now, after I used the paper backup, is my password access to that wallet still the same?

Paper backups are equivalent to the full, unencrypted wallet. If you restored from that on an online pc (you should never do that) and didn't set a password, your private keys are exposed. Delete this wallet from the online PC and move the coins to a fresh wallet, created offline, ASAP.

After I did that, I just realized that I have to go to my offline-pc, click "create watching only copy" and import THAT NEW data in my new online PC. That is the reason why the old data showing only the old amount, because when I exported it from my Offline PC that was my actual amount. Right?

Wallets don't hold coins per se, they hold keys to spend coins. If you don't see your full history after moving the WO from the offline PC to the online PC, you'll have to manually extend your address chain. Set Armory to expert mode, go in the wallet properties dialog and click the blue figure next to "Addresses used". The rest is straight forward. It will have to rescan your wallet after this operation, so shoot for something large, like 1000 new addresses.

WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:45:48 AM

How my private keys are exposed now?
WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:48:34 AM

I deleted the wallet from my online PC right after I realized what I did. But how can I move my coins now? I just gone to my offline PC, created a new copy of the watching-only-wallet and imported it to my Online PC. Now it is scanning the wallet. Did I do it right?!
WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 01:55:16 AM

Please I know I am annoying, but I am so fucked. Could you please tell me how I can move my coins now?

I have access to the offline Laptop with the old password but do not know if that is working anymore?
Can I use the paper wallet again?
WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:19:53 AM

I know all the addresses and there are still my Coins on it. Can I use another wallet like blockchain.info to transfer my BTCs now to a new created offline wallet? If yes, how?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 02:20:24 AM

I deleted the wallet from my online PC right after I realized what I did. But how can I move my coins now? I just gone to my offline PC, created a new copy of the watching-only-wallet and imported it to my Online PC. Now it is scanning the wallet. Did I do it right?!
yes that is correct.

Please I know I am annoying, but I am so fucked. Could you please tell me how I can move my coins now?

I have access to the offline Laptop with the old password but do not know if that is working anymore?
Yes, you can. There is nothing that can possibly disable the wallet once it has been used once.

Everything should be fine once the new watching-wallet imports to your online pc.

What Goatpig was saying was that once everything is synced, you should create a new wallet on your offline pc and transfer all of the coins from the old one to the new one since its moment of being online and unencrypted (since you didn't enter a password) exposed it to potential attack. Do this if you are paranoid.

WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:32:04 AM

yes that is correct.

Yes, you can. There is nothing that can possibly disable the wallet once it has been used once.

Everything should be fine once the new watching-wallet imports to your online pc.

What Goatpig was saying was that once everything is synced, you should create a new wallet on your offline pc and transfer all of the coins from the old one to the new one since its moment of being online and unencrypted (since you didn't enter a password) exposed it to potential attack. Do this if you are paranoid.

Okay that is great to hear, you are kind of my personal hero now. But when some other can attack my addresses now, cause there is no password, could'nt I do the same now? If so, how? Because the scanning on Armory is taking hours, taking longer and longer for a percent as longer as it goes. I know all the addresses, because they are shown at my Offline PC. Can I transfer the BTCs NOW to a new created offline wallet? Because I am afraid that someone else will steal my coins now Sad
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 02:40:10 AM

Okay that is great to hear, you are kind of my personal hero now. But when some other can attack my addresses now, cause there is no password, could'nt I do the same now? If so, how? Because the scanning on Armory is taking hours, taking longer and longer for a percent as longer as it goes. I know all the addresses, because they are shown at my Offline PC. Can I transfer the BTCs NOW to a new created offline wallet? Because I am afraid that someone else will steal my coins now Sad
Using the online computer, you can look up all of the unspent outputs of all of your addresses. You will need all of the transaction ids and all of the indices where the outputs you want are. Then using Bitcoin Core, use the createrawtransaction method in the console or through the command line and create a raw transaction. Make sure that all of your Bitcoin is accounted for and that you have included a fee. The fee is determined by the difference between the inputs and the outputs. Send all of the Bitcoin to an address in a new wallet you created on the offline pc. You must be very careful. when you create the transaction,. You will get the raw hex for it. Take the raw hex to your offline computer and sign it. Then broadcast that transaction through Bitcoin Core's sendrawtransaction method.

BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 02:43:49 AM

Once you get this sorted, and I am sure you will, you might ask yourself if you would be more comfortable using Trezor for cold storage long term.

WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:45:15 AM

What do I do if my offline computer does not show the new addresses I created the last two months?

And sorry, I am a total tech noob. I do not understand the following things:
"You will need all of the transaction ids and all of the indices where the outputs you want are."
Where do I get the transaction IDs? And what are indices?
WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 02:47:18 AM

knightdk you got a private message.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 02:53:36 AM

What do I do if my offline computer does not show the new addresses I created the last two months?
Have it generate more. Go to the wallet and click the number next to "Addresses Used" Then click compute. It will generate 100 more addresses. Check if you don't have all of your addresses still, repeat until you do.

And sorry, I am a total tech noob. I do not understand the following things:
"You will need all of the transaction ids and all of the indices where the outputs you want are."
Where do I get the transaction IDs? And what are indices?
Look up your addresses on a block explorer like blockchain.info. It will list all of the transactions to and from the address. The string of random numbers and letters is the transaction id. If you click it, you can see the details of the transaction. On the details page, if you click "Show scripts & coinbase" link, you will see that on top where the addresses are listed that they might change so that addresses are displayed multiple times. This is representing inputs and outputs. What you want are the outputs, which are on the right. Count from top to bottom starting from zero in that list and you will have the index of each output. When you create the raw transaction, you will want the index of each output going to your addresses and its corresponding transaction id.

WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 03:17:54 AM

Okay I guess I got it now!
WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 05:59:15 AM

Wallets don't hold coins per se, they hold keys to spend coins. If you don't see your full history after moving the WO from the offline PC to the online PC, you'll have to manually extend your address chain. Set Armory to expert mode, go in the wallet properties dialog and click the blue figure next to "Addresses used". The rest is straight forward. It will have to rescan your wallet after this operation, so shoot for something large, like 1000 new addresses.

Thank you, I was able to restore anything until the end of September. But the new addresses I created back then, I did not get. I just manually extended my address chain, but what will I do if my newer addresses won't show up?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 11:30:54 AM

Thank you, I was able to restore anything until the end of September. But the new addresses I created back then, I did not get. I just manually extended my address chain, but what will I do if my newer addresses won't show up?
You might need to keep clicking the Receive Bitcoin button to get armory to show your addresses. If it doesn't show the correct balances, you will need to select Help > Rescan Databases.

goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 12:40:15 PM

Calm down, I was in asleep o.o

You might need to keep clicking the Receive Bitcoin button to get armory to show your addresses. If it doesn't show the correct balances, you will need to select Help > Rescan Databases.

You need to extend the chain using the steps I outlined in my first post. This way it will trigger the rescan on its own. If you just click Receive Bitcoin, it will create addresses it expects to be new, and won't rescan them. At this you will have to click the button a few dozen times and you will have to force a rescan afterwards.

Your best option is to extend the address chain in offline mode, then go back to online.

WiiD (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 03:11:37 PM

Okay I got it now, Armory is up to date and all my BTCs are shown.

But when I want to send them, for example I tried sending 0.02 BTCs to Armory Developers as a donation, the transaction is not send. Fee is high enough. Already submitted a bug report.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: