Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:56:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: using bitcoin-qt as client to bitcoind?  (Read 667 times)
rico666 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1037

฿ → ∞

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 08:49:26 AM

Hi.

Up to now I had bitcoin-qt on my notebook and every once in a while I start it up and it syncs with the network. The blockchain is taking something over 40GB on my notebook SSD and while it's still ok, the temporary availability of my bitcoin node and the space requirements does not seem like a viable long-term solution.

I have therefore installed and run a bitcoind on my server, which will be able to support the bitcoin network permanently on a 1Gbps link until the blockchain is about 1.6TB big ;-)

Now:

The bitcoind on the server has no wallet and of course no graphical UI, I would like to keep using the bitcoin-qt on my notebook, but a) without the blockchain space requirments and b) without the sync delay on startup.

Possible?

I had hoped to be able to give the bitcoin-qt on my notebook the IP and rpcuser/rpcpassword of the bitcoind server and to just connect for blockchain info while managing the wallet locally. While this would be the ideal situation in my case, it seems I cannot find the necessary configuration to do that.

Does it even exist? If yes, please advise. If no, how could I achieve something similar to my plan?

Rico

all non self-referential signatures except mine are lame ... oh wait ...   ·  LBC Thread (News)  ·  Past BURST Activities
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2015, 09:04:44 AM

Hi.

Up to now I had bitcoin-qt on my notebook and every once in a while I start it up and it syncs with the network. The blockchain is taking something over 40GB on my notebook SSD and while it's still ok, the temporary availability of my bitcoin node and the space requirements does not seem like a viable long-term solution.

I have therefore installed and run a bitcoind on my server, which will be able to support the bitcoin network permanently on a 1Gbps link until the blockchain is about 1.6TB big ;-)

Now:

The bitcoind on the server has no wallet and of course no graphical UI, I would like to keep using the bitcoin-qt on my notebook, but a) without the blockchain space requirments and b) without the sync delay on startup.

Possible?

Not yet. Its possible to reduce the data (run it in pruned mode), but you cant (for now) have a wallet at the same time. IIRC this should come in the next major update 0.12

I had hoped to be able to give the bitcoin-qt on my notebook the IP and rpcuser/rpcpassword of the bitcoind server and to just connect for blockchain info while managing the wallet locally. While this would be the ideal situation in my case, it seems I cannot find the necessary configuration to do that.

Does it even exist? If yes, please advise. If no, how could I achieve something similar to my plan?

Rico

Well there are wallets that are design to work with a specific given node, like mSIGNA. It might suit your needs. You could also turn your server into an electrum server (requires a full node) and use electrum.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Revelation Machine

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 03:55:28 PM

You could also turn your server into an electrum server (requires a full node) and use electrum.

Yeah, That would also help other users of electrum while contributing to the bitcoin network.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: