Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:16:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Amex & Abra & Bitcoin/blockchain will result in
Eventual use BTC by Amex Likely. - 3 (75%)
Eventual use of Blockchain only. - 1 (25%)
Just a look at blockchain Process. - 0 (0%)
Nothing too soon for Amex uses. - 0 (0%)
Nothing will result from this test. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: American Express & Abra & Bitcoin....open to consideration of bitcoin/blockchain  (Read 814 times)
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 04:55:10 AM

Well what do you think guys. American Express is teaming up with Abra and looking at Bitcoin and the Blockchain thereof

http://www.coindesk.com/how-american-express-is-testing-the-waters-of-bitcoin-and-the-blockchain/

American Express in the above article said they are primarily looking at how blockchain and how it all works but seem to be open to using bitcoin
from the below quote.

"Sanghi left the door open to support for bitcoin by American Express, stating:

“Let’s see what currencies are important and we’ll transact in the currencies that our customers want to transact in.”

unquote

Well that is somewhat more refreshing then some stuff I have heard from credit card companies. Anyway for your consideration feel free to comment on how
big a deal you think this is..myself I'm hoping for the 'bandwagon effect' everyone is trying to jump on the float on the parade before it picks up speed Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 05:14:14 AM

It is good seeing large companies trying to see what bitcoin could do for them, and not just limiting their tests on the blockchain tech. However as I see it, they might just be another intermediary payment processor like Bitpay. I smell fees, but generally good for bitcoin overall.
christycalhoun

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 05:15:07 AM

I think it will be more likely that they will create their own blockchain for costumer transactions than supporting bitcoin. But anything is possible, I will cross my fingers.

Luqman

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 05:22:18 AM

Good to see big company trying took blockchain technology.. It will give a good impact for ours
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 08:50:19 AM

It is good seeing large companies trying to see what bitcoin could do for them, and not just limiting their tests on the blockchain tech. However as I see it, they might just be another intermediary payment processor like Bitpay. I smell fees, but generally good for bitcoin overall.

I think this bridging is needed in the beginning between these completely two different worlds of how finance works.
Bridging is the intermediate step to full adaption.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 08:56:16 AM

I think this bridging is needed in the beginning between these completely two different worlds of how finance works.
We have different standard in money transfers just because financial institutions are so greedy that they can't agree on one and superior standard.
Similar why we have so many financial products like debit and credit cards. They all want to control it. They will knockoff blockchain and create their own alt.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 09:14:15 AM

Right, since we are not yet ready to go full bitcoin in every transaction we create, bridges like Bitpay is still necessary to gain momentum for adaption. I just hope that these payment processors wouldn't hinder bitcoin's growth especially if they belong to a bank.
Lover of Coin

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 09:14:51 AM

If we can use bitcoin with American Express card, then it is excellent news. The cost of fee will be lower than using fiat.
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2015, 09:59:19 AM

Its good to see Amex getting involved, not that they have much choice, their competitors are already involved to some level.

I can however not see Amex making use of bitcoin even though they stated that they want to transact in the currencies their clients want. There is currently plenty of development going on with the blockchain technology where the banks have joined together and I think the chances of Amex getting involved on that side are more likely than them going 'full' bitcoin.

So my vote is for them going with the blockchain but no the bitcoin blockchain.

With that said, there is a possibility that they might end up being a player in the bitcoin ecosystem but I believe that this will be through a third party like for example Abra and not directly as Amex.
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 10:28:47 AM

Its good to see Amex getting involved, not that they have much choice, their competitors are already involved to some level.

I can however not see Amex making use of bitcoin even though they stated that they want to transact in the currencies their clients want. There is currently plenty of development going on with the blockchain technology where the banks have joined together and I think the chances of Amex getting involved on that side are more likely than them going 'full' bitcoin.

So my vote is for them going with the blockchain but no the bitcoin blockchain.

With that said, there is a possibility that they might end up being a player in the bitcoin ecosystem but I believe that this will be through a third party like for example Abra and not directly as Amex.

You may be right. However Amex has 3 types of cards the platinum and gold and green amex premier type cards which charge NO interest and have NO balance ahead, if you pay on time month to month (ie only pay the yearly fee is all I pay them)  You pay in full balance each month OR you pay 29% in late fees if 6 weeks late if I remember correctly, and they have the 'option' to take those type of cards away at that point too boot (likely).

This is why they call those cards a 'rich man's credit card" if you have been with them for a bit (I have a Gold Card) you can plop 20k on them no issue..but there is no balance forward. You pay month to month no matter the amount. They traditionally for these cards charge the merchant 3% whereas a traditional credit card like Visa only charges the merchant 1.5% and makes the difference of 1.5% to 3% on top of that up by your balance carried forward at 18% w/fees or whatever.

I myself justify the 85 bucks a yearly fee to have this amex gold  card in fees in that they include their equivalent of AAA auto club and other perks. And hell AAA auto club is 85 bucks a year so it was a wash for me to just keep this card. Amex also has gone the new card route with Optima and other Visa type cards..this does not apply...
but my point is the traditional 'high end cards above' is how this still works.

Thus imho Amex COULD offer Bitcoin sooner then others ..because if the merchant carries the fees and you just pay a yearly fee and also they have NO incentive for you NOT to pay
your bill promptly (balance forward) well..seems an easier feat to do then Visa say with its balance forward issues etc.

what would they care that it was in BTC/Yen/or whatever other currency they take ...assuming again they are working thru Arba etc it all would be blended in.

So possibly they would find it the easiest to implement this into their traditional high end cards ...indeed much easier then Visa with balance forward issues imho

Then again using Arba or Bitpay perhaps at that point in time if a cc company decided to take btc it would not matter ..it would be at the conversion process firm's end not amex or
the particular cc company.

Then again ...would be  a pretty good 'coup' imho to be the first cc to offer btc on the traditional amex cards.

Again imho little risk to amex you don't pay the monthly in  btc that month you are just as much toast as not paying in usd/yen or whatever..with no balance forward ..they should look at it as 'whatever expands the use internationally of their premium cards platinum/gold/green etc ..would be a heck of a PR coup imho.

then again I'm biased for them to take btc

anyway my 2 satoshi's worth on why this cc company MAY have less roadblocks to adoption should they go down that path (big if)Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
RustyNomad

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2015, 10:47:05 AM

True, I forgot how Amex works with their cards i.e. the full balance to be paid every month.

So it should actually be very easy for them to offer a full bitcoin type solution i.e. a bitcoin based card similar to what Bit-X, Xapo and others offer but on the Amex backbone so to speak. It will actually be far easier for them to go full bitcoin than even looking at alternative blockchain solutions.
Lover of Coin

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 01:22:18 PM

True, I forgot how Amex works with their cards i.e. the full balance to be paid every month.

So it should actually be very easy for them to offer a full bitcoin type solution i.e. a bitcoin based card similar to what Bit-X, Xapo and others offer but on the Amex backbone so to speak. It will actually be far easier for them to go full bitcoin than even looking at alternative blockchain solutions.

American Express should follow the steps of Bit-X and Xapo to offer bitcoin or altcoin credit card. If it does this, it is way ahead of Visa and Master. The Mastercard is not so friendly to cryptocurrencies.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: