Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:31:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The combined sidehack-novak usb stick review thread. AKA GekkoScience BM1384  (Read 26345 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Jake36

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 01:12:08 PM

I'd suggest checking on the connection state of the small diode inbetween the SOT23 transistors to the left of the LED
Finally got around to poking at things - that was indeed it, saves some hunting Smiley

Was going for an angle view ( https://i.imgur.com/abKI0X4.png ) but I think the top-down one shows the problem pretty well; the pin wasn't wetted by the solder, probably for the reason you've pointed out before.. paste drying out.

Should be a simple fix with a touch of flux and a heat gun Smiley

That diode is one of the hardest parts for the machine to place correctly because it's such a friggin' small package, smaller even than the 0603. It's the littles thing on the board.
Indeed - That text at the top is the tiny "GekkoScience" silkscreen. The smallest I personally ever work with is 0402, which is plenty tiny and uncomfortable enough, and yet far from the smallest passives found in modern mobile devices.

Thanks for the picture.

I have one that just start acting up, it just started hashing slower and slower until it stopped and with the pic I found the same leg had come up just enough. Just to check it, I pushed that leg down and it started hashing again.

Got the stick pulled out right now and going to touch it with the iron just enough to flow the solder (after work, if the tip is small enough to get in there).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 02:19:15 PM

Just bought 6 more sticks Cheesy Cheesy, rawr!
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 02:20:25 PM

The second batch will use a different diode and better paste.

Also, that diode doesn't affect in any way how fast the stick hashes. It's only integral to the operation of the flashing LED and whether it's present and functional or not does not change how well the ASIC communicates or operates. So if that actually fixes a hashing problem I will be confused.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
Jake36

Activity: 331
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 11:07:02 PM

The second batch will use a different diode and better paste.

Also, that diode doesn't affect in any way how fast the stick hashes. It's only integral to the operation of the flashing LED and whether it's present and functional or not does not change how well the ASIC communicates or operates. So if that actually fixes a hashing problem I will be confused.

Just plugged it back in and it's hashing away, so I'll leave it alone, "don't fix it if it ain't broke"..

Guess I could have flexed the board or something when plugging and unplugging to check with the usb meter and got something to make contact again or usb port just lost contact or?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]  All
  Print  

Jump to: