Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:51:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Square space in NYC hand fuel there generators so they servers stayed up  (Read 1145 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:37:44 AM

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/01/squarespace-fog-creek-peer1-kept-ny-data-center-alive-by-carrying-fuel-buckets-to-the-17th-floor-in-the-dark/

WOW if anyone has squarespace you should give them like an extra $25 cause that is just epic!!! And huge respect to them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:20:38 AM

if anyone has squarespace you should give them like an extra $25 cause that is just epic!!! And huge respect to them.

Hauling diesel fuel in buckets up 17 flights of stairwells slippery because of fuel and water.

Would you want to be in a building where they are doing that, and the emergency exit stairwell is where the fire starts?

They don't deserve a medal, they deserve to be prosecuted for endangering people's lives in the pursuit of profit.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

gweedo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:27:28 AM

if anyone has squarespace you should give them like an extra $25 cause that is just epic!!! And huge respect to them.

Hauling diesel fuel in buckets up 17 flights of stairwells slippery because of fuel and water.

Would you want to be in a building where they are doing that, and the emergency exit stairwell is where the fire starts?

They don't deserve a medal, they deserve to be prosecuted for endangering people's lives in the pursuit of profit.

No one was in the building but them, so no. Also how did they make a profit? They get paid the same if they just let the servers go down, email everyone "Hey we having a hurricane, server's generator's fuel pump got flooded nothing we can do".
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:39:22 AM

No one was in the building but them, so no.

Oh, as long as it is your own employees who get burned to a crisp, then it is fine, I guess.

Also how did they make a profit? They get paid the same if they just let the servers go down,

They failed to prepare properly.  If they had DR, they would have simply switched over to their hot DR  (or started up using a cold DR plan).  Instead they tried to save their asses by relying on some people who either most likely weren't aware of the risk or also likely were digging all the attaboy's from their heroic efforts.

Nobody's physical safety was at risk if diesel fuel had not made it to the roof.   But hauling open buckets with fuel in them to the roof up a stairwell is not responsible.   Fortunately nothing happened, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

gweedo (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:48:23 AM

No open containers of fuel from what I see.

I also don't think it was there Datacenter, it is peer1 so I don't think they have those options unless they spoke to peer1 before hand. I will agree, the storm didn't look as bad as it was, but still I think they did some good things, ethically right, that is up for debate.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 06:00:04 AM

No open containers of fuel from what I see.

Container generally acceptable for hauling fuel: (Capacity 5 gallons)

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan

Container not safe under any stretch of the imagination for hauling fuel:  (Capacity 5 gallons)

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:09:26 AM

Diesel fuel is not dangerous unless you slip and fall with open canister on bonfire.
Container not safe under any stretch of the imagination for hauling fuel:
In emergencies no real man with balls worries about such minor hazards.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 04:58:04 AM

NYC is the Internet transit for almost every us<>eu link. Guess what could have happend Smiley

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 04:49:18 AM

Crazy!  Is transporting diesel like that illegal though?  Since it is so well documented now (photos etc) I can see complications if it is.  I know that gasoline is, but its true that diesel is really much much less volatile.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: