Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:34:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people assign value to Bitcoins?  (Read 3225 times)
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:28:06 PM

I can't pay taxes with it. I can't fund my credit card with it. Why do people value Bitcoins at $11 a piece?

Hehe, first post and probably your last?

Is it just me or do recently a lot of accounts pop up, crating on single thread and are then never seen again.

But just in case this is a real question:

Bitcoins provide the usability of cash, although you can instantly pay them in every wallet world wide.

This usability provides value.

The fact, that they can't be printed instantly by anyone (infation resistant) increases the value even more.

And then they are only a few of them + most of them are horded and not available on the open marked, causing a high price.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
God Almighty (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:47:22 PM

I can't pay taxes with it. I can't fund my credit card with it. Why do people value Bitcoins at $11 a piece?

Is it just me or do recently a lot of accounts pop up, crating on single thread and are then never seen again.

Bitcoins provide the usability of cash, although you can instantly pay them in every wallet world wide.

The fact, that they can't be printed instantly by anyone (infation resistant) increases the value even more.

And then they are only a few of them + most of them are horded and not available on the open marked, causing a high price.

A US dollar is recognized as cash because people have to accept them for debts including taxes. People are forced to trade oil for them all around the world. Bitcoin has nothing like that so why is it even used as money? That is my question. But it seems since some geeks like it, others rely on that value when holding and using Bitcoins.

This is very different... almost religious...
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 04:55:02 PM

A US dollar is recognized as cash because people have to accept them for debts including taxes. People are forced to trade oil for them all around the world. Bitcoin has nothing like that so why is it even used as money? That is my question. But it seems since some geeks like it, others rely on that value when holding and using Bitcoins.

1) Bitcoin removes the counterparty from the currency. You do not have to trust a government. You instead have to trust in mathematics and the stability of a self-regulated community. (as such there is still some trust required)
2) Bitcoins are cash like and are superior to cash on many levels (money on your bank account is not cash)

Here's some homework for you: try to do a cash-like transaction with someone in another country

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
God Almighty (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:05:11 PM

1) Bitcoin removes the counterparty from the currency. You do not have to trust a government. You instead have to trust in mathematics and the stability of a self-regulated community. (as such there is still some trust required)
2) Bitcoins are cash like and are superior to cash on many levels (money on your bank account is not cash)

Here's some homework for you: try to do a cash-like transaction with someone in another country

Okay, it's easier to trade Bitcoins around the world but what makes them worth trading for? Why would I want a Bitcoin over a half ounce of silver?
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:19:17 PM

Okay, it's easier to trade Bitcoins around the world but what makes them worth trading for? Why would I want a Bitcoin over a half ounce of silver?

No joke - do the homework. Try trading silver over larger distances. You really need to experience the difficulties with cash-like transactions before you can appreciate bitcoins.

Metals and paper cash are short distance exchange vehicles. Virtual currencies extent the interaction range of cash transactions to all people with internet connection.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 05:20:18 PM

Why is the half ounce of silver valuable to you?  You aren't going to put it in your teeth, and you probably don't manufacture mirrors or photographic film, so... it is probably valuable as nothing more than a means of trade.  Same with the bitcoin.

Why silver?  This is due to nothing more than a global consensus that it has all the properties needed for use as money.  Gold is chemically more stable, which makes it more valuable as money, but also is very difficult to use in small units, creating a demand that silver happens to fill.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
God Almighty (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:35:23 PM

So it's like a digital gold?

Interesting. Thanks.
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 2146

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 05:40:09 PM

You may not want bitcoin over half an ounce of silver. It depends what your requirements are.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2012, 05:45:58 PM

Interesting. Thanks.

That's how I like to think of it. It's scarce, relatively inflation-proof and is "mined". Of course, it's not so easy to ship a bar of gold across the world for less than a penny!

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2012, 11:28:15 PM

Interesting. Thanks.

That's how I like to think of it. It's scarce, relatively inflation-proof and is "mined". Of course, it's not so easy to ship a bar of gold across the world for less than a penny!

That's really the thing that will eventually make bitcoin survive and prosper... if we can get it to be used by someone in a commercial capacity to move money around.

drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 02:52:22 AM

The lack of force is another thing I think gives bitcoins value, no one has to use bitcoins, we choose to

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 10:55:02 AM

Yes, but better.

Here's a list of advantages of Bitcoin, and some more, and some more.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
MrQuiggly

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 02:36:23 PM

I can't pay taxes with it. I can't fund my credit card with it.
Sure you can.

That's right. My understanding is that there is a way to fund a debit card - Bitcoin-Debit.com I think it is, and there may be other methods, if I am not mistaken.

Why do people value Bitcoins at $11 a piece?
For the same reason why people value gold at $1700 per ounce.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 02:46:26 PM

Try to buy product on SR with any other form of cash/currency/stored value with out first converting it to BTC.

Try transporting $20,000.00 of cash/gold/or silver on a plane to another country.

** pink-smuggled cigs would probably be much more valuable in male facility then Hooped cigs in a female facility (I would think).

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 02:52:59 PM
Last edit: November 03, 2012, 03:28:49 PM by ElectricMucus

Actually, no bitcoin is not comparable to gold because it lack inherent value. There also is some inherently valuable aspect to the blockchain mechanism because it can be used to sign the existing of arbitrary information, at a specific date, like a computer file, but it doesn't play much role currently.

People assign value to it as part of the consensus formed by the market. That is possible because you can trade them.
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 03:24:20 PM

interesting TED talk on "perceived value"

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/01/13/all-value-is-perceived-value/
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 09:22:00 AM

Actually, no bitcoin is not comparable to gold because it lack inherent value.
Why would gold have "inherent value"?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
J-Norm

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:35:24 PM

Silk Road.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 05:48:53 PM

Actually, no bitcoin is not comparable to gold because it lack inherent value.
Why would gold have "inherent value"?
Electronics, Gold contacts are pretty awesome. And since there isn't really a better material for that application it will have that property for a long time.
Also it's shiny and do not give you any skin-rash so many people use it as jewelry. You might want to discard that depending how you look at it, but still it's half the gold out there.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 06:12:45 PM

Three things:

1: I would give somebody $11 for 1 btc because I think the btc will be worth more in the future than the $11.

2: I can give somebody the bitcoin and get $11 worth of value back. (Or better, depending on where you go. Recently purchased some books on BitMit.net for less than 1 USD worth of BTC, those same books would have cost me $32 on Amazon.com)

3: There is more to life than taxes. I rarely send any money to the government at tax time (my employer and government work together to take money out of my paycheck and then each year I have to ask for the extra back, last year I got about 10% of my income as a tax return).

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: