Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:35:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a difference between buying shares in the stock exchange and gambling?  (Read 12318 times)
erwin45hacked
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 07:47:13 AM

I think you don't the meaning of share market investment that's why you telling that investing in share market is guessing game. But real scenario is your buying a business if you don't understand the company business then don't invest in that company. So as per me share market investment for long term is totally different from gambling.

Not everyone buying shares for long term some people just treat it like day trading and nothing special about that. The fast market and high volume is the reason people use it for day trading

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rexxarofmoknathal

Activity: 966
Merit: 260

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 08:30:18 AM

Gambling is pure luck, and while this is true for stocks, there's a degree of certainty about them as well. You can predict changes fairly accurately in most cases, or invest in long term stocks that pay dividends, so there is a sense of security and safety in this investment. Gambling is mad fun though  Cheesy

BUY & SELL
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BITCOIN ETHEREUM RIPPLE
FAQ
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AFFILIATE PROGRAM

░██████████████████░
████████████████████
█████████▀░░░███████
█████████░░▄████████
███████▀▀░░▀▀███████
███████▄▄░░▄▄███████
█████████░░█████████

█████████░░█████████

█████████▄▄█████████

████████████████████

░██████████████████░
░██████████████████░
████████████████████
████████████▀▀▀█▀███
███░▀█████▀░░░░░▀███
███▌░░░▀▀▀░░░░░░████
████▄░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████▀░░░░░░░░░█████

██████▄░░░░░▄▄██████

█████▄▄▄▄███████████

████████████████████

░██████████████████░
░██████████████████░
████████████████████
████████████████████
███████████▀▀░░▐████
███████▀▀░░░░░█████
████▀░░░▄█▀░░░▐█████
█████▄▄█▀░░░░░██████

███████▌▄▄▄▐██████

████████████████████

████████████████████

░██████████████████░
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
November 15, 2015, 10:44:30 PM

I personally don't think there is that much of a difference.  In the end you are risking your money to gain money.  I think the people who say differently problem won some cash from the market and assume its safe, it isn't.

No one said any investment is 100% safe, but at the least with stock shares you're placing money on something other than just odds on a payout table.
The only way those two investments can be considered to have even chances of making a profit is if you have no knowledge about stock market and shares you are investing in.

Even with "knowledge" of the stock market you still have risk.  If it was possible to have knowledge everyone would be doing it and everyone would be rich. The bottom line is you are guessing and hoping for the best.
Stock market is a 0 ending game, if someone wins that means that someone loses also. If you think that the price is reasonable to buy yourself in and you expect the price to go up, someone at the same moment thinks that the price will go down and it's high time to sell. After it, one of them will win and the other has missed the opportunity to win, so it's a loss for him.
Oscilson

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 12:37:47 AM

Not everyone buying shares for long term some people just treat it like day trading and nothing special about that. The fast market and high volume is the reason people use it for day trading
Day trading can be profitable for some traders, but not for most traders. Even if the share price volatility is high, a trade cannot always sell at the top and buy at the bottom. Fee and stamp duty will eat into profit as well.
Erza
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
November 16, 2015, 03:00:22 AM

Buying shares of stock is just another form of gambling disguised as investing.  The only difference is that you can do some research into your purchase to determine if that is a good idea to make the purchase.  The only real difference is that you can look into your "investment" to see if you think you are making a good bet.

Even then, with research you are still only guessing that the price goes up, or that you are buying at a low price, it is just a form of gambling

I think you don't the meaning of share market investment that's why you telling that investing in share market is guessing game. But real scenario is your buying a business if you don't understand the company business then don't invest in that company. So as per me share market investment for long term is totally different from gambling.

So I am guessing you are extremely rich from this, like millions because if you are able to do this you should have no problem repeating it.  No?

I dont think you need to be rich to buy some stocks or share? You can buy little by little right? Because this is long term investment so if you buy that many too in the end you will sell it too to get some profit. It has nothing to do with you become rich then you can buying stocks
bitart

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 10:37:26 PM

Buying shares of stock is just another form of gambling disguised as investing.  The only difference is that you can do some research into your purchase to determine if that is a good idea to make the purchase.  The only real difference is that you can look into your "investment" to see if you think you are making a good bet.

Even then, with research you are still only guessing that the price goes up, or that you are buying at a low price, it is just a form of gambling

So I am guessing you are extremely rich from this, like millions because if you are able to do this you should have no problem repeating it.  No?

I dont think you need to be rich to buy some stocks or share? You can buy little by little right? Because this is long term investment so if you buy that many too in the end you will sell it too to get some profit. It has nothing to do with you become rich then you can buying stocks
You only need to be rich in order to move the market in the way you want it to go, for this you need really much money. But if you want to drive the market you don't need to buy or sell shares in big but need to manipulate the news and the press Smiley
But if you want to trade on forex market, that's impossible, forex market is way too big to manipulate anything
mamahdedeh

Activity: 812
Merit: 100

www.cd3d.app

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 01:23:22 AM

that all risks must be obtained. the choice is only 2 . you want to go forward to fight or see other people win a lot of money  Wink

MinerHQ (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1023

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 02:05:12 AM

that all risks must be obtained. the choice is only 2 . you want to go forward to fight or see other people win a lot of money  Wink

There are different kinds of risks are there but what risks are you talking?

Are you asking people to take risks to invest money in share market and wait for companies to do better business to take profits then it is quite reasonable risks but if your suggesting people to go for gamble to make more profits quicker than that risk is very high and I don't support for it.
raaajlucky

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:13:26 AM

There are different kinds of risks are there but what risks are you talking?

Are you asking people to take risks to invest money in share market and wait for companies to do better business to take profits then it is quite reasonable risks but if your suggesting people to go for gamble to make more profits quicker than that risk is very high and I don't support for it.

Yes if any one invest money in share markets for long term perspective on some good companies then they can really make a good profits over the time.
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:16:36 AM

Buying shares of stock is just another form of gambling disguised as investing. 

If you are using a short term strategy like day trading then you are not investing anything . Some people buy stock for long term but sometimes people buy it for short term

Yes you are generally correct. There is a big difference between investing and trading. Trading is generaly short term, and sometimes you can go short and make money when something goes down.

Investing is usually holding stocks for a few years.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 03:56:26 AM

You only need to be rich in order to move the market in the way you want it to go, for this you need really much money. But if you want to drive the market you don't need to buy or sell shares in big but need to manipulate the news and the press Smiley
But if you want to trade on forex market, that's impossible, forex market is way too big to manipulate anything

Yes it is true, you can manipulate the market price if you have a lot of cash but I dont think everyone will have this power to change the market like they want. Most people not daring to make some manipulation on bitcoin because of the price is too volatile
Linuld

Activity: 473

View Profile
November 18, 2015, 07:00:58 AM

If you are using a short term strategy like day trading then you are not investing anything . Some people buy stock for long term but sometimes people buy it for short term

That is very true. If any one investing money in share market for short term/day trading means is equal to gambling and they can win money only based on pure luck no analysis will work out in day trading. So in this case there is not difference between investing in share market or gambling but share markets will give good profits for long term.

bitart

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
November 19, 2015, 09:16:21 PM

Yes it is true, you can manipulate the market price if you have a lot of cash but I dont think everyone will have this power to change the market like they want. Most people not daring to make some manipulation on bitcoin because of the price is too volatile
Are there any cryptocoins that has a steady exchange rate compared to fiat (not likely BTC which is too volatile)
I'm thinking about if it's possible to exchange BTC to some different cryptocoin when BTC's price is high and after buy back the BTC if it goes down (and it can be really short term, e.g. daytrade or mid or longer term as well).
I just want to avoid to exchane BTC to fiat and back too many times, because of the cost and the time of buying BTC officially for fiat. Is there any cryptocoin with not so volatile price?
fullypak
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 02:54:11 AM

Short term trading or day trading is equal to gambling so one have a more chances to lose their complete money in these things because most of the time need only luck to win. So if one want to make a money from share market then they must invest in some good companies and wait for few years to grow their business and your share prices.
Erza
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 06:00:02 AM

Are there any cryptocoins that has a steady exchange rate compared to fiat (not likely BTC which is too volatile)
I'm thinking about if it's possible to exchange BTC to some different cryptocoin when BTC's price is high and after buy back the BTC if it goes down (and it can be really short term, e.g. daytrade or mid or longer term as well).
I just want to avoid to exchane BTC to fiat and back too many times, because of the cost and the time of buying BTC officially for fiat. Is there any cryptocoin with not so volatile price?

I dont know if you can buy all just one crptocoin and pump it like usual then sell it like it just piece of cake here. Lets say that you can buy all of the X coin then you need to attract people to pump it too follow your stream. If not you will lose this thing and you can't get any profit from it
raaajlucky

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:33:22 AM

Short term trading or day trading is equal to gambling so one have a more chances to lose their complete money in these things because most of the time need only luck to win. So if one want to make a money from share market then they must invest in some good companies and wait for few years to grow their business and your share prices.

Yes in short term people are just guessing the price can move either up or down so winning will be based on just by luck so for short term share market investment is not good.
Eastwind

Activity: 896

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 07:48:23 AM

I dont know if you can buy all just one crptocoin and pump it like usual then sell it like it just piece of cake here. Lets say that you can buy all of the X coin then you need to attract people to pump it too follow your stream. If not you will lose this thing and you can't get any profit from it

There are these kinds of pump every day for some coins. But the rise is not sustainable, as it is just a pump and dump. There is intrinsic value of the coins. These coins are just for pump and dump, there is no active development of the coin. There are many people fall into victim.
wearepoor

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 20, 2015, 08:14:06 AM

I personally don't think there is that much of a difference.  In the end you are risking your money to gain money.  I think the people who say differently problem won some cash from the market and assume its safe, it isn't.

No one said any investment is 100% safe, but at the least with stock shares you're placing money on something other than just odds on a payout table.
The only way those two investments can be considered to have even chances of making a profit is if you have no knowledge about stock market and shares you are investing in.

Even with "knowledge" of the stock market you still have risk.  If it was possible to have knowledge everyone would be doing it and everyone would be rich. The bottom line is you are guessing and hoping for the best.
Stock market is a 0 ending game, if someone wins that means that someone loses also. If you think that the price is reasonable to buy yourself in and you expect the price to go up, someone at the same moment thinks that the price will go down and it's high time to sell. After it, one of them will win and the other has missed the opportunity to win, so it's a loss for him.

Yes, you are right. In stock market if the price of the particular stock is increased then it will be a profit for the shareholders and at the same time if someone has opted for derivatives (call option-Put Options), and placed trade on put option then it will be really huge loss for them.
Oscilson

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 09:01:11 AM

Stock market is not a 0 ending game. It is positive sum game. The reason for that is most companies make profit, this money will be paid to investors. The trading cost, tax will reduce the return to investors.
futurebit640

Activity: 910

View Profile
November 21, 2015, 09:18:18 AM

I think stock exchange one can make money in the long run but in gambling most likely every one will lose money. What you guys think?

They are both very similar in that if you are disciplined, patient and do your homework you could make long term profits. But most people participants in financial trading/gambling don't do this and don't make long term profits.

I think if your talking about day trading then correct mostly people make a mistake and lose money in share market but if one buy a good company shares then mostly they will make a good profits over the time. But in case of gambling one will either win profits fast or lose every thing at instantly so both are not same.

I disagree, with Poker as you are playing against other players and there is no "house-edge" it is possible (with the right hard work) to be a long term profitable player. Sports betting to a lesser extent offers the same advantages but again requires a huge amount of work.

All other casino games in the long run you are unlikely to be profitable

This is the biggest problem with the addicted gamblers. If any one suggest to find a better ways to invest money and make profit but people like you will not listen and want to try your luck in gambling to make a easy money and you guys will realize when you lose all your money on these gambling games. Good luck with your experiments. I feel share market investments are always better options then gambling.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: