Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:13:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] BitcoinStore.com (Beta) - Electronics super store with over 500K items!  (Read 75296 times)
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 03:22:11 PM

any deals for cyber monday or black friday or thanksgiving?  Do you have access to the same promotions that best buy, tigerdirect get?  or are you not in that realm at this point?

I'd love to be able to pass along links to amazing deals to others and help them get bicoins to buy them!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 05:15:35 PM

any deals for cyber monday or black friday or thanksgiving?  Do you have access to the same promotions that best buy, tigerdirect get?  or are you not in that realm at this point?

I'd love to be able to pass along links to amazing deals to others and help them get bicoins to buy them!

We are still in Beta,  so I don't think we will have any black friday deals or cyber monday deals until next year.

kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 05:18:01 PM

no worries.  I wasn't sure who was taking the cut when discounts were offered.  I'll hold off on pushing bitcoinstore until a week or two from now, b/c I think the everyday low prices  will be much more appealing after the craziness of the next few days is past us.

Fold for spending BTCs

MemoryDealers (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 05:20:09 PM

no worries.  I wasn't sure who was taking the cut when discounts were offered.  I'll hold off on pushing bitcoinstore until a week or two from now, b/c I think the everyday low prices  will be much more appealing after the craziness of the next few days is past us.

Within a week or two the $1,000 limit will be removed and the site will be much more user friendly in general.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 05:37:03 PM

Any happy-customer-stories yet?
Sad there isn't any happy customer yet Sad

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
ingrownpocket
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 05:46:40 PM

Can you also add the option to see prices in Euros (€)?
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 06:35:50 PM

Windows 8 Laptops and desktops are now on sale!
I'll try my question again: How about laptops without Windows?  Windows is an expensive piece malware I don't need, and I certainly don't want to pay for it.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
Daily Anarchist

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2012, 07:20:55 PM

I'll try my question again: How about laptops without Windows?  Windows is an expensive piece malware I don't need, and I certainly don't want to pay for it.

http://system76.com

Discover anarcho-capitalism today!
Vitalik Buterin

Activity: 330
Merit: 397

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 10:40:03 PM

I once bought a laptop from Zareason. Turned out to be a bad idea; got charged like $200 extra taxes when the laptop arrived. I think BitcoinStore would be in a perfect position to get the paperwork behind the international shipping properly sorted out so stuff like that wouldn't happen, and if they start selling Linux (or no-OS) laptops I would gladly buy my next one from them.

Argumentum ad lunam: the fallacy that because Bitcoin's price is rising really fast the currency must be a speculative bubble and/or Ponzi scheme.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 10:46:45 PM

I once bought a laptop from Zareason. Turned out to be a bad idea; got charged like $200 extra taxes when the laptop arrived. I think BitcoinStore would be in a perfect position to get the paperwork behind the international shipping properly sorted out so stuff like that wouldn't happen, and if they start selling Linux (or no-OS) laptops I would gladly buy my next one from them.

No. No international store is responsible for the taxes due when packages arrive at your country. You're the one responsible for paying them. The only way they have to help you is if they lie on the value of the order(yeah, not happening).
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 01:03:12 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2012, 06:47:27 PM by ArticMine

I'll try my question again: How about laptops without Windows?  Windows is an expensive piece malware I don't need, and I certainly don't want to pay for it.

No. No international store is responsible for the taxes due when packages arrive at your country. You're the one responsible for paying them. The only way they have to help you is if they lie on the value of the order(yeah, not happening).

The key question in my mind here is who was the shipping company? If it was UPS I would not be surprised if the $200 in "taxes" consisted of $20 in actual taxes and $180 in "brokerage" charged by the shipping company the merchant selected. So while the store should not be held responsible for the $20 they must certainly be held responsible for the $180 because the merchant selected the shipping company.

In Canada avoiding this problem is very simple.  Avoid shipments by private couriers UPS, FedEx etc and only use USPS for US based shippers. This limits the "brokerage" and "bond" charges to CAD 8.50. I would check with the postal authorities in your country first to find out what the charge is; however I suspect it will be very reasonable since it is set by international postal regulations.

I visited the Zareason site and they no longer ship internationally since they were having many "fraudulent" orders. I suspect more often than not the customers where refusing the shipment and a making a chargeback on their credit cards when UPS or some other private courier pulled their "brokerage" scam.

For Canada I can say one thing Bitcoin + USPS is a killer combination.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Fjordbit

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

firstbits.com/1kznfw

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 02:51:38 PM

I think I don't understand how to select shipping. I put a laptop in my cart, and it gives me all of the below options. I'm pretty sure a laptop won't fit in a "Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope", but how am I to know on the other ones. And what's the deal with "Flat Rate"? IMO, this part needs to be more clear for a non-beta site.

United States Postal Service

Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope $xx.xx
        Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box $xx.xx
        Library Mail $xx.xx
        Media Mail $xx.xx
        Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box $xx.xx
        Parcel Post $xx.xx
        Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box $xx.xx
        Express Mail Flat Rate Envelope Hold For Pickup $xx.xx
        Express Mail Flat Rate Envelope $xx.xx
        Priority Mail $xx.xx
        Express Mail $xx.xx
        Express Mail Hold For Pickup $xx.xx

Federal Express

Express Saver $xx.xx
        2 Day $xx.xx
        2 Day AM $xx.xx
        Standard Overnight $xx.xx
        Priority Overnight $xx.xx
        First Overnight $xx.xx

Flat Rate

Fixed $xx.xx

phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 07:28:03 PM

I have similar problems. I think less of any store that sells products that impose conditions on the user after sale. That includes proprietary software that you are not allowed to return (after finally being allowed to read the EULA), as well as computers bundled with Microsoft Windows or MacOS. However, it is not limited to that.

The world is moving from Copyright-based EULAs to Patent-based EULAs. These are stronger than copyright based EULAs because independent development is no longer a defence when selling a competing product. In fact, when you buy an Android phone, you are actually paying for a Windows Phone license. With Windows 7, the Pre-amble in the ELUA was changed from "By clicking 'Agree', you agreee..." to "By using the computer you agree...". Windows is further tied to the compter by a separate manufacturer EULA that claims  that Windows is an Integral component; and that you must return the entire computer if you do not agree to the Windows EULA.

I was tempted by the printer in the OP, because I have been trying unsuccessfully to buy a Laser printer for nearly two years. However, my experience with Lexmark and HP tell me it is no longer possible to buy a new printer with no strings attached. PCL 5 fonts and Cartridge recylcing program slip sounds to me like they may be using the Lexmark (Printing is a patented proccess) method.

I am not sure it is possible to sell half a million consumer electronic items while still respecting your customers. I fear things will get worse before they get better.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 07:43:30 PM

I have similar problems. I think less of any store that sells products that impose conditions on the user after sale. That includes proprietary software that you are not allowed to return (after finally being allowed to read the EULA), as well as computers bundled with Microsoft Windows or MacOS. However, it is not limited to that.

The world is moving from Copyright-based EULAs to Patent-based EULAs. These are stronger than copyright based EULAs because independent development is no longer a defence when selling a competing product. In fact, when you buy an Android phone, you are actually paying for a Windows Phone license. With Windows 7, the Pre-amble in the ELUA was changed from "By clicking 'Agree', you agreee..." to "By using the computer you agree...". Windows is further tied to the compter by a separate manufacturer EULA that claims  that Windows is an Integral component; and that you must return the entire computer if you do not agree to the Windows EULA.

I was tempted by the printer in the OP, because I have been trying unsuccessfully to buy a Laser printer for nearly two years. However, my experience with Lexmark and HP tell me it is no longer possible to buy a new printer with no strings attached. PCL 5 fonts and Cartridge recylcing program slip sounds to me like they may be using the Lexmark (Printing is a patented proccess) method.

I am not sure it is possible to sell half a million consumer electronic items while still respecting your customers. I fear things will get worse before they get better.

Very interesting info, but does any of this have to do with Bitcoinstore.com?  I'm assuming you could say the same thing about ANY computer store, yes?

Fold for spending BTCs

phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 07:59:26 PM

Very interesting info, but does any of this have to do with Bitcoinstore.com?  I'm assuming you could say the same thing about ANY computer store, yes?

Essentially. I think I was pointing out in a round-about way that no electronic super store can reasonably vet all of the products they sell against the whims of eccentrics like me. If you want Freedom, you will have trouble growing past the boutique level. Unfortunately, you lose economies of scale that way, since the free market assumes omnicient consumers in order to work. Put a different way, the marketplace rarely explains why good A has a lower price than good B.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
BitcoinStore

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 06:24:53 AM

Essentially. I think I was pointing out in a round-about way that no electronic super store can reasonably vet all of the products they sell against the whims of eccentrics like me. If you want Freedom, you will have trouble growing past the boutique level. Unfortunately, you lose economies of scale that way, since the free market assumes omnicient consumers in order to work. Put a different way, the marketplace rarely explains why good A has a lower price than good B.

We respect you by giving you as many choices as we can. That's one form of freedom right there. I think the point you make about selecting boutique quality products is a good one as well. Perhaps we can incorporate a heavily curated "featured" selection. If you have any suggestions about which products should go in that selection, please let us know!

... In other news, Linux thin client here: http://www.bitcoinstore.com/wyse-desktop-slimline-thin-client-amd-t52r-1-50-ghz.html - I couldn't find a Linux laptop unfortunately. We are currently restricted in selection by our suppliers. I'm sure in a couple months time we will include more suppliers and more varied products.

I apologize about the lack of "free" laptops. I'm assuming you're a FSF member?

Thanks,
-Jon
BitcoinStore

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 06:31:03 AM

Hi!

We don't have Linux, or no-os, laptops yet. We do have some Linux thin clients though. I personally get a sort of vindictive pleasure when erasing Windows from computers... But I do understand your hesitation at purchasing laptops with Windows. I'll see what we can do to increase our selection!

Thanks,
-Jon
phillipsjk
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 07:48:00 AM

We respect you by giving you as many choices as we can. That's one form of freedom right there. I think the point you make about selecting boutique quality products is a good one as well. Perhaps we can incorporate a heavily curated "featured" selection. If you have any suggestions about which products should go in that selection, please let us know!

... In other news, Linux thin client here: http://www.bitcoinstore.com/wyse-desktop-slimline-thin-client-amd-t52r-1-50-ghz.html - I couldn't find a Linux laptop unfortunately. We are currently restricted in selection by our suppliers. I'm sure in a couple months time we will include more suppliers and more varied products.

Thanks,
-Jon

I have always wondered where to get those: I see them in use, but they are not sold at local retailers. They are used on the floor at local retailers, but not available for sale Tongue

I guess what promped my mini-rant is that as I said, I am tempted by the Dell printer, but don't know if it tries to impose conditions on the user after sale. Does Dell try to claim ownership of the print cartridges? Are the print cartridges region-coded? Does the printer explicitly support PCL5? I have to ask these questions because I failed to during previous printer purchases: which resulted in returns. From a bad experience with a Canadian online retailer I otherwise like, I learned that they are not able to correct misleading or vague copy from the manufacturer. I assume this is also the case with your store.

I don't think I am formally a FSF member, but I do share their ideals. I have a "Free" laptop (Lemote YeeLoong). I have not gotten around to implementing 2D video accelaration yet. The drivers bundled with X.org assume a VESA BIOS Tongue
I managed to break the keyboard connector trying to take the thing appart, but I doubt the SMT component can be purchased in lots of less than 10,000.

BitcoinStore

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 08:11:08 AM

Thanks,
-Jon

I have always wondered where to get those: I see them in use, but they are not sold at local retailers. They are used on the floor at local retailers, but not available for sale Tongue

I guess what promped my mini-rant is that as I said, I am tempted by the Dell printer, but don't know if it tries to impose conditions on the user after sale. Does Dell try to claim ownership of the print cartridges? Are the print cartridges region-coded? Does the printer explicitly support PCL5? I have to ask these questions because I failed to during previous printer purchases: which resulted in returns. From a bad experience with a Canadian online retailer I otherwise like, I learned that they are not able to correct misleading or vague copy from the manufacturer. I assume this is also the case with your store.

I don't think I am formally a FSF member, but I do share their ideals. I have a "Free" laptop (Lemote YeeLoong). I have not gotten around to implementing 2D video accelaration yet. The drivers bundled with X.org assume a VESA BIOS Tongue
I managed to break the keyboard connector trying to take the thing appart, but I doubt the SMT component can be purchased in lots of less than 10,000.

I would love to go through and fact check the copy we get sent. But that'd be 500,000 products to check, with an estimated researching time of 10 minutes per product; we're talking about 3472.22 days of researching/updating. Obviously impractical. Can you paste the link to the specific printer you have your eye on?

We're still a small operation, but I can assure you that we'll do our best to do right by our customers.

I'm not a FSF member either, but I have friends who believe strongly in their ideals. I think they, like Bitcoin, still have a long way to go both internally and externally. Both groups see a future which is more efficient and even idealistic. Change is always a struggle though.

Thanks,
-Jon
kjlimo
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2012, 08:36:58 AM

Thanks,
-Jon

I would love to go through and fact check the copy we get sent. But that'd be 500,000 products to check, with an estimated researching time of 10 minutes per product; we're talking about 3472.22 days of researching/updating. Obviously impractical. Can you paste the link to the specific printer you have your eye on?

We're still a small operation, but I can assure you that we'll do our best to do right by our customers.

I'm not a FSF member either, but I have friends who believe strongly in their ideals. I think they, like Bitcoin, still have a long way to go both internally and externally. Both groups see a future which is more efficient and even idealistic. Change is always a struggle though.

Thanks,
-Jon

Jon, I appreciate you reaching out to this guy, but it sounds like as I suspected, this is not a bitcoin issue.  Perhaps the value you are providing this guy will keep him as a customer, but I'm guessing every Best Buy/Amazon deals this this same issue and doesn't offer that service to their clients of reviewing copy, etc. 

Feel free to knock out this one situation/customer, but I'd prefer if you get back to focusing on selling the same electronic goods as Amazon, etc. for cheaper for bitcoin.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's your business model and should be your priority number 1.  There's nothing wrong with you focusing on that. 

If for some reason I run into a second person in this world looking for that boutique level of service (even tho this guy said those units are setup, but not for sale), then, perhaps this can be added to your company's mission statement. 

At this time, I'd recommend a separate website/service that is a natural extension of another boutique store that offers this service so you can get back to being the cheapest provider of the exact same electronic goods as what everyone else is selling.

Just my two satoshis!

Happy bitcoin halving day! (depending on your country)

Fold for spending BTCs

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: