Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:57:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin-Qt taking forever to sync. Progress sometimes goes back.  (Read 25496 times)
za8bit (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 08:03:51 AM

Hi there,
So I'm loading up Bitcoin-Qt for the first time and I just have a question or 2.

I've read on the wiki that this is meant to take long and it could even take up to a day to sync with the network however I've noticed in the past hours that I've been watching it that sometimes progress skips back. What I mean is at some point there were about 9500 blocks left to load and suddenly it skipped back to over 10000. Is this normal? Should I just wait it out and stop starting at it?

Also, I haven't seen any clear answer around, but will I have to wait long times every time I run the client?

And lastly, would I be better off using an online alternative or a more lightweight client? Is it worth sacrificing encryption and security for a faster load time?

Thanks a lot  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
panda1

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 08:07:22 AM

Yeah it's normal, just wait it out.  It's up to you if you feel confident in the security of the online/alternative client to use it.  I do.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 09:36:31 AM

I've read on the wiki that this is meant to take long and it could even take up to a day to sync with the network however I've noticed in the past hours that I've been watching it that sometimes progress skips back. What I mean is at some point there were about 9500 blocks left to load and suddenly it skipped back to over 10000. Is this normal? Should I just wait it out and stop starting at it?
Yes, this is normal. What is actually happening when the client is synchronising with the network is it is downloading and verifying the complete history of every transaction that has ever taken place on the Bitcoin network. Naturally, this history is constantly growing as new transactions are made, which causes your progress to slide back every now and again. But don't worry; unless you have an extremely slow connection, the client will be able to keep up and will eventually finish synchronising.

Also, I haven't seen any clear answer around, but will I have to wait long times every time I run the client?
No. When the client synchronises with the network, it only downloads and verifies blocks of transaction history that it doesn't already have. When you start the client after it has fully synchronised previously, this means it only needs to download new transactions that occurred since the last time you closed it. This also means that if you close the client before it has finished synchronising, it will pick up where it left off the next time you start it. It never has to start from scratch again unless something goes horribly wrong, eg, the file gets corrupted or something.

And lastly, would I be better off using an online alternative or a more lightweight client? Is it worth sacrificing encryption and security for a faster load time?
Probably not, as long as you can spare the bandwidth. The extremely long synchronisation time only happens the very first time you run it, after that it shouldn't be an issue.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
za8bit (OP)

Activity: 23

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 11:46:58 AM

thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated Smiley
BitcoinOxygen

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2012, 12:00:42 PM

Yes it is normal Bitcoin took around 7 hours to download on my server and my server is running on a 1 Gigabit connection.

i think it is because of the verification of the block that takes the most time. and the first few blocks will download and verify fast as they have less transaction in them and they become slow after you have downloaded about 60% of the blocks.

BTCOxygen PPS Mining Pool 2% Fee  <<<  Join Now
zxyzxy

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2012, 12:20:47 AM

you can use a different client if this bothers you, like multibit for an example. or you can use online wallets
dimitri93

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 12:06:40 PM

Hi everyone. I'm new to bitcoin so I would ask for a solution as I have a problem with the client.

It had synced to 98% when my laptop shut down. When I reopened the client the loading bar was gone and the program is now said to be 'catching up'. The number of total blocks to be loaded is moving but the actually synced blocks remain the same.

I have already received some bitcoins to the address so I have to be careful with the situation. What can you advise me? I need to send some bitcoins soon. Shall I just wait for the Qt client to load again or shall I use some online wallet?
RaTTuS

Activity: 792
Merit: 1000

Bite me

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 12:44:16 PM

just wait - it will catch up

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
Garfiun

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 01:54:37 PM

Glad to here I am not the only one that thought this and thanks for the answer.
dimitri93

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 03:59:34 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2013, 04:22:05 PM by dimitri93

Hm-hm, so basically this happened:

I tried to set up my client to the online wallet I created through the desctop sync function it provides in order to speed the process up, seeing as how I've been waiting for the client to 'catch up' for two days now, after it got stuck on 98.70% (what a bummer, I know). I used this tutorial:

I can help!

Your money is "yours", it just isn't being listed in your wallet because as you say, your wallet is having trouble updating... Thats ok! You can access it other ways, such as an online e-wallet:

First, we need to get your "private key":

Close bitcoin completely, then

Open control panel, select "large icons" in the top right corner

Click "folder options", or if you are opening it from the start menu, just click "folder options"

Click the "view" tab

under "hidden files and folders", click "show hidden files and folders and drives"

Deselect "hide extensions of known file types" this will allow you to see the bitcoin working folder

press OK

right click the start button and click "open windows explorer"

doubleclick "local disk (c:)" under "my computer"

doubleclick "users"

doubleclick "yourusername" eg "john"

doubleclick "appdata"

doubleclick "roaming"

doubleclick the "bitcoin" folder

(this is for win 7, for xp the directory is C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application data\Bitcoin (XP))

right click an empty area in the folder and select "new">"text document"

doubleclick the new text document

type the following 2 lines into the empty text document:

rpcuser=someusername

rpcpassword=somepassword

replace someusername and somepassword with anything (you dont have to remember it later) so button mashing udhf9w8dg98rgu will work (no spaces)

"file">"save as" type "bitcoin.conf"

press save

Right click the start button and click "open windows explorer"

doubleclick "local disk (c:)" under "my computer"

doubleclick "program files(x86)"

doubleclick "bitcoin"

hold shift and right click on "daemon"

click "open command window here"

type "bitcoind"

leave that window open,

Wait 2 minutes for the daemon to load

Don't close the window

Go back to the explorer window, and again,

Hold shift and right click on "daemon"

Click "open command window here"

If your wallet is encrypted, goto A then proceed to B if not go straight to B

A: type "bitcoind walletpassphrase 600" where walletpassphrase is your wallet password and press enter

B: type "bitcoind dumpprivkey 1YourBitcoinAddress1234567890"
        replace 1YourBitcoinAddress1234567890 with the address where you withdrew the money to. You will get a long string of numbers. leave this window open...

Upload the private key to a managed service

Goto blockchain.info

click "wallet" at the top

click "start a new wallet"

once your new wallet is created, log in to it.

goto the tab that says "import/export"

press "continue" at the warning

where it says "import private key", type the long string of number EXACTLY from the black window

press "add private key"

Your wallet is now managed online.

Everything went allright up until the final point, when things seem to just be against me. Now, my IT skills are novice at best, but still... I create the file, password, username, the works, I load the deamon, load it again, type in everything as I should, but the exe console simply tells me this: 'error: You must set rpcpassword=<password> in the configuration file (shows directory). If the file does not exist, create it with owner-readable-only file permission'. All's well, but I created this file, along with the password, the whole thing seems just not be responding to any change. Any thoughts? Basically my question is - how do I get my private key, because this is not working...
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 04:24:15 PM

And that is a thing that should be much much simpler but today is still hard to do.

Ok well, are you sure your file is named .conf and isn't .conf.txt?

On a side note.. do you know that you could just drag and drop wallet.dat here https://blockchain.info/it/wallet/import-wallet and be done?  Smiley

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 04:48:28 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2013, 04:59:57 PM by DannyHamilton

. . . I used this tutorial: . . .
Those instructions are outdated.  It is still difficult for the average user to get their private key, but it isn't as difficult as all that anymore.

I thought that blockchain.info had a desktop sync function so you wouldn't have to get your private key, did that not work for you?

If you really want to know what your private keys are, delete that bitcoin.conf file (be careful not to delete anything else in that directory).

Start up your bitcoin client.

Navigate to the Help menu, and choose "Debug window".

In the Debug Window, choose "Console".

You can use the commands found at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_Calls_list to communicate here.

In particular the commands you want are:

Code:
walletpassphrase yourPassword 600
To unlock your wallet if you have a password/encryption set up.  The 600 means to unlock the wallet for 600 seconds. You can lengthen or shorten this time limit as you see fit. replace the yourPassword with whatever your password actually is.

Code:
listreceivedbyaddress
Will list all of the bitcoin addresses in your wallet that have bitcoins associated with them. This step will not be necessary for you if you've never sent bitcoins from this wallet before.  However, if you have ever sent any bitcoins, it is possible that some of your bitcoins may be associated with a "change" address from that sending transaction.  This "change" address won't show up in your "Receive Coins" tab, but will show up in this listreceivedbyaddress list.

Code:
dumpprivkey bitcoinAddress
Where bitcoinAddress is the bitcoin address for which you are trying to get the private key.
dimitri93

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 06:39:31 PM

Thanks you guys! One last question (for now) - how do I get the my bitcoin address, I mean, where can I find the combination of numbers that signify my bitcoin account client number? Huh
JesterOfTortuga

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 06:45:13 PM

I tired several times in the beginning to get this to work with no luck. I ended up having to delete the blockchain data and download it from somewhere else. No matter what I did it would get stuck at a certain percentage for days until I did this.
dimitri93

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 06:57:39 PM

Did what?
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:03:13 PM

I recommend electrum.

• Instant on: Your client does not download the blockchain, it uses a remote server.
  • Forgiving: Your wallet can be recovered from a secret seed.
  • Safe: Private keys are never sent to the server. Information sent by the server is verified using SPV
  • No downtimes: Several public servers are available, you can switch instantly.
  • Ubiquitous: You can use the same wallet on different computers, it will auto-synchronize.
  • Open: You can export your private keys into other Bitcoin clients.
  • Tested and audited: Electrum is open source and was first released in November 2011.

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:10:14 PM

Or multibit https://multibit.org/

how do I get the my bitcoin address, I mean, where can I find the combination of numbers that signify my bitcoin account client number?
What? You have no account, you have private keys. Each private key correspond to a public key with is used to receive bitcoin. (private key is used to send coins, so never share it)

JesterOfTortuga

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:11:16 PM

Your wallet address should be under the recieve coins tab in your bitcoin client, I think thats what he wants to know ?
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:18:11 PM

Yup, once you load the wallet in a client, it will automatically show your addresses

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 07:47:02 PM

. . . I tried to set up my client to the online wallet I created through the desctop sync function . . .

Thanks you guys! One last question (for now) - how do I get the my bitcoin address, I mean, where can I find the combination of numbers that signify my bitcoin account client number? Huh

I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about your Bitcoin-QT client, or your online wallet?

You don't have a client account number. You have one or more addresses that your client/wallet keeps track of for you. (With the online wallet you may also have a Wallet Identifer that you'll want to keep track of to log in).

You can see some of those addresses in the "Receive Coins" tab of the Bitcoin-QT client (or on various web pages if you are using the online wallet).

If you have sent payments from the Bitcoin-QT wallet in the past, you may also have a few addresses that the wallet knows about and keeps track of, but doesn't tell you about.  It does this with the "change" from transactions where you sent bitcoins.

Example: You want to send 1 BTC, but only have a single 5 BTC output in your addresses.  The Bitcoin-QT creates a transaction using this 5 BTC as an input, and sends the 1 BTC to your intended destination address while creating a new address that you don't know about to send the remaining 4 BTC back into your wallet.

To see the list of these hidden addresses you can use the listreceivedbyaddress command from my earlier post.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: