Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:33:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wurm Online and CoinLab, making ingame money via mining  (Read 4617 times)
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 04:55:16 PM

I remember some months ago reading about CoinLab and about their idea of involving games and gamers to use their gpu to make ingame money. But i never read that they really did this!

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/61990-coinlab-faq-how-to-earn-silver-coins-with-your-graphics-card/

http://pool.coinlab.com/partners/wurm

It is from June. They did it  Cheesy

Yes, probably mining bitcoins for ourself and then selling them for $/€ or directly ingame money is much better, but still, it's not a bad idea.

Too bad in a month it will die, ASICs are coming  Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 03, 2012, 05:27:01 PM

Too bad in a month it will die, ASICs are coming 

CoinLab is working on a client to do computations on your GPU in which bitcoins are earned.
 - http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99643.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 01:29:47 PM

I took a look at that thread but i'm unsure how they intend to keep gpu profitables. GPU mining will die once ASICs are delivered, that's a fact. They speak about scientific computation done via GPU and i know a lot of BOINC projects using gpu for their computing but they are all free project. If they have enough money to pay us then they can very well just use a supercomputer or buy the cards themselves or whatelse.

Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 02:37:40 PM

I took a look at that thread but i'm unsure how they intend to keep gpu profitables. GPU mining will die once ASICs are delivered, that's a fact. They speak about scientific computation done via GPU and i know a lot of BOINC projects using gpu for their computing but they are all free project. If they have enough money to pay us then they can very well just use a supercomputer or buy the cards themselves or whatelse.
I don't think they intend to pay you for Bitcoin mining in the long run…GPUs can do a lot more than just Bitcoin mining.  I believe they plan to make this GPU network available for rent for people that need to use to a large computational network.  Bitcoin mining is just a good way to bootstrap this network (while Bitcoin mining on GPUs is still profitable).  It's also a convenient method of payment.  Assuming there's a good market for such services, it's a great idea.  It could be a great way for gamers to subsidize the cost of their graphics cards (much like they've done with Bitcoin mining).  I don't think donated resources are viable for anything but a few projects of broad, general interest (folding@home, seri@home, etc).  And, a rented network of GPUs is likely to be far more cost effective than buying cards themselves or even renting supercomputer time. 

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 03:36:25 PM

Still an interesting idea regardless.

Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:50:45 PM

Yes a GPU can do tons of things and i partecipate in several BOINC projects where my graphic card is used. But if they start paying me for crunching their work... then why can't they simply use that money in a MUCH MORE efficient way, like paying for a supercomputer or whatelse?

siggy

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 03:33:33 AM

Yes a GPU can do tons of things and i partecipate in several BOINC projects where my graphic card is used. But if they start paying me for crunching their work... then why can't they simply use that money in a MUCH MORE efficient way, like paying for a supercomputer or whatelse?

Coinlab (or whoever) will be abe to offer a network of literally thousands of GPU's nearly on-demand.  If you have only an occasional need to solve massively complex problems, you would much rather pay to outsource your number crunching, than pay a premium to buy a "supercomputer or whatelse" and have it sit idle for 28 days a month.

Its only MUCH MORE efficient to own your own hardware if you are using it 24/7.

Sigg

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 03:48:57 AM

The idea is to get value from people who won't pay.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 07:23:48 AM

The idea is to get value from people who won't pay.

I'm getting rather fed up of seeing game developers who keep trying to ruin their games in order to make more money rather than be more creative which is all this is.
CoinLab

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 07:53:03 PM

Coinlab (or whoever) will be abe to offer a network of literally thousands of GPU's nearly on-demand.  If you have only an occasional need to solve massively complex problems, you would much rather pay to outsource your number crunching, than pay a premium to buy a "supercomputer or whatelse" and have it sit idle for 28 days a month.

Its only MUCH MORE efficient to own your own hardware if you are using it 24/7.

Sigg

Yep :-)

Yes, probably mining bitcoins for ourself and then selling them for $/€ or directly ingame money is much better, but still, it's not a bad idea.

If you value your time at zero, yes. But considering the challenge of selling bitcoin, exchange fees, etc, you're going to be saving much less than minimum wage in the US. We deliver your in-game currency every few minutes, but converting yourself would likely require a multiple-day delay.

I'm still looking forward to when a bunch of Bitcoin miners get together and direct ~50GH/s into Wurm and take control of the economy on a server  Grin
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 01:18:00 PM
Last edit: November 12, 2012, 02:11:28 PM by Gabi

I'm giving a try to the client (yes i play Wurm)

It works and it's very easy to use, it's a very basic client, install it and you can run/stop it. In the settings you can choose the GPU to use (if you have more than one) and if run it always or only when idle.

With a ATI 6950 at default clocks, i make 240 iron/hour. For comparison consider that 1 silver is 1€ and that 1 silver is 10.000 iron. The money is directly added to your character.

The client auto-start when you turn on the computer wich is a bad thing, especially considering that there are no options to disable this. With start>msconfig i see that there is the coinlab mining client and from there i can disable the auto-start but it's still meh.

Now i wonder if i can use a normal miner like guiminer to mine for this, i see it's just a normal PPS pool, i suppose it would be possible, having username and password  Smiley

So my conclusion: nice idea, the client is easy to use and works but please remove the auto-start thing or at least add an option to remove it. Starting a computer and having it's GPU running at 100% always is a bad bad idea (for mining for example i always downclock my memory clock, but manually, when the pc start it's still at default clock, and having gpu at 100%=bad)

I'm still looking forward to when a bunch of Bitcoin miners get together and direct ~50GH/s into Wurm and take control of the economy on a server
If the ASCI thing is not a scam, in the next month you will be able to buy a 60GH/s ASIC for like 1300$. So it will be very very possible then.
Wich also means that, if ASIC really will be released, i'm afraid this service will come to a stop, at least, for bitcoin mining.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 03:24:17 PM

Wurm is a silly idea all together. (From all I know about it)
If Wurm is fun to play long term and mining is the only payment option, people will want to direct their ASICS mining power towards their Wurm account and Wurm should more than welcome that.

To use the idle gamer cards to mine would have worked last year if WOW would have jumped on that bandwagon. Starting some new game that isn't first of all a really great game is meh.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2012, 03:33:45 PM

Silly comparison. Wow gold are dropped ingame via player actions (quest reward, kill monsters etcetc) while Wurm money is very different, it is created only by buying it at the shop for real money and can be used for some ingame actions like forming a village or to buy things from other players, but one can happily play without it.

Making wow gold with gpu would be stupid, the two games are totally different!

mining is the only payment option
Nah, you can buy money from the shop, by selling things to other players etcetc

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2012, 05:14:12 PM

Making wow gold with gpu would be stupid, the two games are totally different!

Who talked about "Making wow gold with gpu"? As I posted about WOW just above, I assume this is a reply to my post so allow me to elaborate:
I said:
To use the idle gamer cards to mine would have worked last year if WOW would have jumped on that bandwagon.
and I meant:
Bitcoin mining needsneeded GPUs. Gamers have GPUs. The biggest game is WOW. Blizzard finding some way to get their users to mine would have made sense and might have resulted in the biggest mining pool.
I did not say that this should have been used to directly create in-game wow gold.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2012, 03:12:50 PM

Well it should create something otherwise why mine? Roll Eyes

Anyway, i wonder what will happens after halving day... reward should drop. Still waiting for ASIC Cheesy

Gabi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:52:08 PM

LOL

People on the wurm forum are complaining about a 50% decrease that for them is unexplainable  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

They don't know about the Halving day  Embarrassed

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: