Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:33:54 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: btcaddr.me - Bitcoin Address Identicon  (Read 7265 times)
mskwik

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 02:19:32 PM

Hm, I always check the beginning and end of each address. Do I still need this?

That depends on how many characters you memorise. If it's about 10, you should be fine, otherwise creating a collision would take just a few bitcoins worth of hashing. You can read more about it in my master thesis around page 66 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88149 .

It is however better than checking an equivalent number of characters just at the beginning since it includes the checksum part of the address.  It could be just as good as checking the identicon depending on how many bits you would need to get a similar-looking identicon.  Both the address checksum and the identicon are based on parts of a hash of the address, it's not clear without examining the identicon source further how many bits you would need to generate another that looks "close enough".

mskwik

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:24:04 PM

So I did download the source and take a look at it.  Seems to me you would need to match about 32 bits to look fairly similar (like so someone may not notice if it had changed between site visits) up to about 48 bits to look fairly similar even comparing them side by side.  Mathematically this puts it roughly similar to checking 7 digits at the end of the address.

As a short example here's 12 bits matched which only takes a couple minutes (plus I skimped a little on the prefix):

1BoatSLRHtKNngkdXEeobR76b53LETtpyT

1BoaDLmiNMdQJKe34nbbvJDCqAmpD1adMN

I do like the idea, the human brain does seem to be wired to remember (and recognize if they change) colors and shapes better than random characters, just trying to quantify the results somewhat.

mskwik

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 06:33:15 PM

Replying to myself again Roll Eyes, but just for fun if we disregard prefix we can fairly easily match 32 bits:

1KbhFQVEUk8wMVtiuBURZAQ1PXnsDUqcag

1EEwcrjaJkWLLZDuZA2Rhob3aVM8NwY5tR

or 40 bits:

1NcE7wksPMcydG7bfsGsGdjf2ckzXSfw1R

1H26EaqCrbdHZk2SvqvZDfPHqYGbYqQsJj

Not going to try for 48 bits on the CPU, but with OpenCL code on a GPU it shouldn't be bad either.

nelse87 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:18:26 PM

Thank you for your comments, everyone! I would like to emphasize that the project is just a proposition made during one Saturday after ThePiachu master thesis inspired me. It wasn't well tested for colisions though. However, I'm happy that this thread is growing and ideas for upgrades appear.

mskwik, thank you for your tests. I didn't think your way: that when the project become popular people may rely mostly on identicon rather that prefix thus they may stop checking it. Now, identicon is made from string made from double sha1 on address. I'm not sure what can be done to make collisions rarer. Maybe you would like to push to github your code? Smiley

I realize this has no practical purpose, but can you make the identicon into something cute?

More broadly, if you could do QR codes that are shaped like bunny rabbits and pandas, then the whole QR scheme might become more interesting to 50% of the population.

That would be quite an interesting idea, although it would probably be way harder to implement than random geometric shapes...

Interesting idea. I came across: http://robohash.org/ - cunicula you thought about something like this? Wink
nelse87 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:20:34 PM

http://robohash.org/1H26EaqCrbdHZk2SvqvZDfPHqYGbYqQsJj.png

http://robohash.org/1NcE7wksPMcydG7bfsGsGdjf2ckzXSfw1R.png

Wink
mskwik

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:12:25 PM

1MB2HBuzi4LQ9XZwtQ3GzRGombGx72LUPZ

1F9UeZCMcSfdYpVwSFfbaWQxK4p7FER79k

Wink

Not really familiar with github but here is the script I was using:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use Digest::SHA;$|=1;
open(VG, "./vanitygen -q -k 1 |");
while(<VG>){print $_;chomp($_);
  $msg=$_;if(/Address: (.*)/ig){$addr=$1;
    $hash=Digest::SHA::sha1_hex(Digest::SHA::sha1_hex($addr));
    $id=substr($hash,0,2);
    $id.=hex(substr($hash,2,1))%8;
    $id.=hex(substr($hash,3,1))%4;
    $id.=hex(substr($hash,4,1))%4;
    $id.=hex(substr($hash,5,1))%2;
    $id.=int(hex(substr($hash,6,1))/4);
    $id.=int(hex(substr($hash,8,1))/4);
    $id.=int(hex(substr($hash,10,1))/4);
    $id.=int(hex(substr($hash,12,1))/4);
    $id.=int(hex(substr($hash,14,1))/4);
    $id.=int(hex(substr($hash,16,1))/4);
    $id.=hex(substr($hash,18,1));
    print "Identicon: $id              \n";
    if($seen{$id} ne ''){
      print "Match found\n".$seen{$id}."\n$1\n";exit;
    }$seen{$id}=$1;
  }
}

That's picking 32 bits out of the hash for the identicon string, to add more bits and get more accurate I would add more bits on the end of the colors that are using just 2 bits per channel there.  Notice that it just checks for a match against any icon it has found so far, to match a particular one you would find an identicon string for it from the same bits and just search for that, to search an address prefix as well you can change the vanitygen argument.  I also was running on a machine with 8GB RAM, run at your own risk with more bits or less RAM when saving every result like this.

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 09:25:43 AM

Interesting idea. I came across: http://robohash.org/ - cunicula you thought about something like this? Wink

The robohash robot is great. Optionally print out an image of the robot next to the identicon?

Users could check that the identicon maps to the robot and robots are easier to remember than patterns.

The robots would be good branding for bitcoin. It looks like robohash is open source.
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 05:20:40 PM

The robohash robot is great. Optionally print out an image of the robot next to the identicon?

Users could check that the identicon maps to the robot and robots are easier to remember than patterns.

The robots would be good branding for bitcoin. It looks like robohash is open source.

Well it does seem that mskwik did just prove robohash to be useless for our purposes.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 07:59:16 PM

Well it does seem that mskwik did just prove robohash to be useless for our purposes.

Not completely, it would be extra hard to find a robot collision AND collide the first few chars.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
mskwik

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 09:07:20 PM

Doing the math on the robohash it looks like it uses 22-24 bits depending on the settings to get an exact match, so roughly equivalent to matching 4 characters of the address.  It could add some extra security combined with something else but by itself yes it is fairly trivial to match.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 09:18:45 PM

Its like https for bitcoin adresses  Cheesy

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 09:25:37 PM

1AgwF965rwYpK6J8N3CbCxfRAdu7nSHt9v

1P7WdPJrZEXTmbjD5bzqNwNtNDuoTqDGu

1Fq6TL3wT4v4tbgW7CaGTyS42hsjmCHPdB

rageface.me   lol

cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 12:14:56 AM

rageface.me   lol

Not cute at all.  Angry
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:18:05 PM

If its based on SHA1, does that mean it can be cracked (I have no idea, but I know the current standard is SHA3)
Red Emerald

Activity: 742

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2012, 01:09:52 AM

This is a cool idea.  I had been reading the first and last few characters to make sure the address was right. This is even easier.

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 05:44:35 PM

Any Update on this?

more or less retired.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 02, 2013, 06:40:14 PM

In particular, could this be used to show users a their passwords before they type their passwords in? To confirm they are on a genuine site?

For example, a site saves passwords in a hashed and salted format. When they go to login, they type in their username, uponwhich the site shows an identicon of their password hash. If that identicon matches what they originally saw when they signed up, they know they are on the legitimate website.

Would that work?

more or less retired.
rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2013, 08:49:10 PM

What if the firstbits are superposed on the picture (normally shown 6 letters or so in the bottom of identicon, without leading 1) to make the match harder? So both reading and abstract pattern recognition is engaged at once.

Replying to myself again Roll Eyes, but just for fun if we disregard prefix we can fairly easily match 32 bits:

1KbhFQVEUk8wMVtiuBURZAQ1PXnsDUqcag

1EEwcrjaJkWLLZDuZA2Rhob3aVM8NwY5tR

or 40 bits:

Not going to try for 48 bits on the CPU, but with OpenCL code on a GPU it shouldn't be bad either.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1020

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:23:00 PM

In particular, could this be used to show users a their passwords before they type their passwords in? To confirm they are on a genuine site?

For example, a site saves passwords in a hashed and salted format. When they go to login, they type in their username, uponwhich the site shows an identicon of their password hash. If that identicon matches what they originally saw when they signed up, they know they are on the legitimate website.

Would that work?
Interesting idea. I would add another hash round before creating the identicon for safety. That would be a cool feature.
DanielBTC

Activity: 788

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 02:41:16 PM

I like this "bitaddress mandala"   Cheesy

[Daniel BTC] - 9 AB (after bitcoin)
http://www.usandobitcoin.com.br - Bitcoin para Iniciantes
OTC: DanielBTC Bitrated user: DanielBTC.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: