Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 06:49:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could declaring Bitcoin a religion protect it from Finacial Regulation?  (Read 4872 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 12:03:41 AM

I just leave this here:

http://www.bitcoinchurch.org/

Not quite what we were thinking of, but still- wow.

more or less retired.
flynn

Activity: 728
Merit: 540

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 12:13:07 AM

Amen

intentionally left blank
DoomDumas
Legendary

Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 01:06:40 AM

If it can help avoid regultaion / taxes, I'm all in !  washing anus or other strange ritual are good for me, as long as it can prevent the tax man to hit !
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 02:54:19 AM

Could declaring Bitcoin a religion protect it from Finacial Regulation?
Well not now. If you wouldn't have publically announced this as a motive, maybe.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:18:21 AM

Considering that bitcoin can't be regulated by the government or taxed this would do nothing but waste time, and resources.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 05:33:26 AM

Calling Bitcoin a religion would do nothing to advance the cause of freedom nor invoke any legal protection, and would make us look psychotic and out of touch.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
picobit

Activity: 547
Merit: 500

Decor in numeris

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:26:05 AM

Calling Bitcoin a religion would do nothing to advance the cause of freedom nor invoke any legal protection, and would make us look psychotic and out of touch.
As if sending lots of money to a guy with an eyepatch promising 7% per week from a secret business plan hadn't already done that
 Undecided
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:56:58 PM

As if sending lots of money to a guy with an eyepatch promising 7% per week from a secret business plan hadn't already done that
 Undecided

HA!

Seriously tho, it bears some thought... at the very least it would involve a custom client and some seriously intricate misdirection on the part of those involved --- you'd actually have to accept donations and disperse humanitarian aid... as well as spiritual advise...

"Bitcoin given right to not be taxed" could be a very interesting legal issue in a few years.

augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:15:05 AM

The title says it all- tax exempt status, the act of transacting Bitcoins an act of faith with the scripture of the blockchain?

One could even argue it might protect Bitcoin from being outlawed in countries that recognize freedom of Religion.

Tax exemption for religious enterprises is a form of financial regulation:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/regulation?q=regulation

Definition of regulation
noun
1a rule or directive made and maintained by an authority

The tax exemption is a "directive made and maintained by an authority".
btcANGEL

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 12:22:45 AM

I just leave this here:

Pfft. My logo is bigger than his.  Wink

Soon you will be dancing face-to-face / With the limits of ambition and the scars of the marketplace / Welcome to the land of flame and fizz / Where you will learn that packaging is all that heaven is
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:41:00 AM

I just leave this here:

Pfft. My logo is bigger than his.  Wink

hahah

more or less retired.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:19:48 AM

In fact money did become many people's religion, and worshipping USD have been frequently displayed on many different medium

Compared to them, worshipping BTC has much more meaningful and serious feeling  Grin

farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:58:20 AM

Scientology.
HDSolar

Activity: 386

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 03:55:35 AM

So wait are you saying we are not psychotic and out of touch?   Sorry could not pass that up.

Not interested in any religions but if we go this way please no mats for praying to our bitcoin gods four times a day and I am out if we call a holy war. 

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
firefop

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 04:44:28 AM

So wait are you saying we are not psychotic and out of touch?   Sorry could not pass that up.

Not interested in any religions but if we go this way please no mats for praying to our bitcoin gods four times a day and I am out if we call a holy war. 

My first official act would be to issue a Fatwā against paypay.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 07:15:51 PM

If Bitcoin becomes a religion then schools would not be able to allow anything Bitcoin related to be mentioned.

Wording would have to be changed in order to allow anything Bitcoin related at school.

See "Holiday parties" or "Winter break"...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
firefop

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:19:42 PM

Scientology.

Great idea. Someone should get the church of scientology to accept bitcoins... think of all the tx fees =P

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:25:41 PM

Yes, I agree. The last thing bitcoin would need is the opening to be called a "cult", even if the church was purely a non-regulation move.

Why make things harder for ourselves?

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 09:29:35 PM

..... But we might develop some rituals like washing anus before sending bitcoin payment. That will make it a true religion.

Yours or someone else's? You don't identify the anus to be cleaned. I think washing someone else's would make it way more religiony.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:32:17 PM

Alternatively we could go for a micronation. We would be in good company:
http://micronations.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_micronations

I suggest an anarchist, virtual one. Due to the crypto-paranoid spirit required to survive more than 15 minutes, we might reckon each other with a secret handshake and/or other signs (a QR?).
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: