Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:38:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could declaring Bitcoin a religion protect it from Finacial Regulation?  (Read 4875 times)
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 09:34:44 PM

Due to the crypto-paranoid spirit required to survive more than 15 minutes, we might reckon each other with a secret handshake and/or other signs (a QR?).

..... But we might develop some rituals like washing anus before sending bitcoin payment. That will make it a true religion.

A secret anus washing ritual.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 10:14:12 PM

Due to the crypto-paranoid spirit required to survive more than 15 minutes, we might reckon each other with a secret handshake and/or other signs (a QR?).

..... But we might develop some rituals like washing anus before sending bitcoin payment. That will make it a true religion.

A secret anus washing ritual.

I sent you that idea via PM and assumed it was going to remain private, but I now see you took it upon yourself to tell the whole community. I duly hope you don't decide to mention what flavor bath salts we discussed.

~Cackling Bear~
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:20:48 PM

Since many here seems to be anally-obsessed, we could opt for cerimonial enemas. So the tub girl and goatsee could be our icons.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 10:25:00 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2012, 09:51:50 PM by organofcorti

I sent you that idea via PM and assumed it was going to remain private, but I now see you took it upon yourself to tell the whole community. I duly hope you don't decide to mention what flavor bath salts we discussed.

~Cackling Bear~

I cannot see how having the whole community lining up to wash your anus would be a bad thing.

As for bath salts, I guess that will remain a surprise for the washer.

DanielBTC

Activity: 788
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
November 06, 2012, 10:50:38 PM

BTCitcoinspels

Genesis 1

In the beginning Satoshi created the algorithm and the bitcoin-client.
Now the bitcoin network was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the spirit of financial freedom was hovering over the waters.
And Satoshi said, "Let there be Genesis Block," and there was a Genesis Block.
Satoshi saw that the Genesis Block was good, and he separated the Genesis Block from the darkness.
[..]

Cry

ALLLELUIIAHHH!

[Daniel BTC] - 9 AB (after bitcoin)
http://www.usandobitcoin.com.br - Bitcoin para Iniciantes
OTC: DanielBTC Bitrated user: DanielBTC.
Jaw3bmasters

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Another block in the wall

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:15:03 PM

BTCitcoinspels

Genesis 1

Now the bitcoin network was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the spirit of financial freedom was hovering over the waters.
Satoshi saw that the Genesis Block was good, and he separated the Genesis Block from the darkness.
[..]

Cry

ALLLELUIIAHHH!

Where's the revised international version?

In Cryptography we trust.
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 05:28:33 PM

BTCitcoinspels

Genesis 1

[..]

Cry

ALLLELUIIAHHH!

And praise Satoshi it was good!

more or less retired.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:31:27 PM

And though it was the world made believe that Satoshi has left us.

And many felt great despair. But then the holy algorithm reviled the truth.

Satoshi ascended into the blockchain from where he will guide us until eternity.

In the name of Satoshi, the blockchain and deflation.

In eternity.

Bitcoin.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 09:39:47 PM

Smiles are even less regulated than religion. Bitcoin = smile imo.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:24:21 AM

Tax exempt status is given to organisations, not their members.  Even if you could somehow pull of registering a Bitcoin organisation as a religious organisation, only that specific organisation and it's subsidiaries would enjoy tax exempt status.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 04:57:56 AM

Tax exempt status is given to organisations, not their members.  Even if you could somehow pull of registering a Bitcoin organisation as a religious organisation, only that specific organisation and it's subsidiaries would enjoy tax exempt status.

Sure, but making using the bitcoin network a sacrament (like any ritual in other religions) would make it impossible for bitcoin to be made illegal in the US.

arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 11:08:36 AM

Sure, but making using the bitcoin network a sacrament (like any ritual in other religions) would make it impossible for bitcoin to be made illegal in the US.

pretty sure animal sacrifice is still illegal despite it's use in several religions, some of which ARE active.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 12:57:16 PM

would make it impossible for bitcoin to be made illegal in the US.
Statements like this betray a fundamental misunderstanding of the law and its relationship to the individuals which make up government.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 06:39:22 PM

Religion has to do with the Spirit.
Is there anything spiritual in bitcoin that could be bound to a faith?

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 12:01:53 AM

Tax exempt status is given to organisations, not their members.  Even if you could somehow pull of registering a Bitcoin organisation as a religious organisation, only that specific organisation and it's subsidiaries would enjoy tax exempt status.

What a crock of shit.  Plenty of religious rituals are illegal in many Western nations and if you could just declare something a sacrament in order to prevent its use being illegal there'd be no illegal drugs (do you seriously believe that people haven't considered this in respect of illegal drugs in the past?).  

While I believe that religions enjoy far too much protection, that protection is far from absolute.  As has been pointed out already, the manner in which the US applies the principal of separation between church and state would impose limitations on how and where Bitcoin could be promoted if it was somehow brought under the umbrella of religion.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 12:07:33 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 07:19:30 AM by organofcorti

Tax exempt status is given to organisations, not their members.  Even if you could somehow pull of registering a Bitcoin organisation as a religious organisation, only that specific organisation and it's subsidiaries would enjoy tax exempt status.

What a crock of shit.  Plenty of religious rituals are illegal in many Western nations and if you could just declare something a sacrament in order to prevent its use being illegal there'd be no illegal drugs (do you seriously believe that people haven't considered this in respect of illegal drugs in the past?).  

While I believe that religions enjoy far too much protection, that protection is far from absolute.  As has been pointed out already, the manner in which the US applies the principal of separation between church and state would impose limitations on how and where Bitcoin could be promoted if it was somehow brought under the umbrella of religion.

This is all correct to a point. I don't think I'll be able to get human sacrifice legalised, even if religious.

However, afaik peyotl is legal for members of whichever church it is that believes taking the drug is a sacrament.

firefop

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:18:09 AM

This is all correct to a point. I don't think I'll be able to get human sacrifice legalised, even if religious.

However, afaik peyotl is legal for members of whichever church it is that believes taking the drug is a scarament.

The law doesn't really make a distinction between rituals which involve harming others... But the courts do. I have think under this vein even if laws were passed affecting bitcoin the courts would still dismiss those cases as being protected if it was a sacrament... simply because it doesn't harm anyone.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: