Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:02:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the nonce  (Read 767 times)
JHerzig (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 08:44:50 PM

Been doing some educational research on Bitcoin mining and have a question about finding the nonce.

If my goal as a miner is to find 'winning' nonce such that when I concatenate the nonce, the previous hash, and the list of transactions that comprise that block such that the hash of this falls in the target space, what factors affect my list of transactions. What ensures that I do not just use a list of 5 transactions and work off that? Obviously my block is potentially different than someone else's block, but how does that happen? And is it possible for me to purposely keep the amount of transactions very low, or is there even an incentive for me doing that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 08:55:15 PM

Been doing some educational research on Bitcoin mining and have a question about finding the nonce.

If my goal as a miner is to find 'winning' nonce such that when I concatenate the nonce, the previous hash, and the list of transactions that comprise that block such that the hash of this falls in the target space, what factors affect my list of transactions.
As a miner, you are free to select the transactions that you will put in a block. If you want to be antisocial, you can mine blocks that only contain your coinbase transaction. But see below for an additional incentive.

What ensures that I do not just use a list of 5 transactions and work off that?
Nothing - you could do that. However, the bookkeeping work to see whether the transactions were already mined by other miners, and selecting new unmined transactions for your block is about as expensive as the work needed to make a full block...

Obviously my block is potentially different than someone else's block, but how does that happen?
The coinbase transaction that you put into your block to get the block reward has a unique address which makes the hash unique even if everything else is equal.

And is it possible for me to purposely keep the amount of transactions very low, or is there even an incentive for me doing that?
Transaction fees and some ethics are what keeps miner from mining empty blocks. In addition, a blockchain that does not process transactions quickly enough will have reduced value, and this directly affects the perceived value of the crypto currency.

Onkel Paul

JHerzig (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 02:34:25 PM

This was very helpful, thank you.

To summarize, I believe the reason miners will not propose a block with minimal transactions because of the following reasons:

- No benefit is gained by using a smaller block
- It takes more bookkeeping effort to customize the block rather than mining the larger block you have from receiving all P2P transactions
- Some transactions also come with transaction fees that the ‘winning’ node receives; mining only a couple transactions misses out on this
- Risk for reducing the value of the currency as if transactions are not processing quickly enough, it affects the perceived value of the crypto currency

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: