Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:29:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 3923 times)
logansryche (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:19:04 PM
Last edit: November 04, 2012, 05:37:51 PM by logansryche

Was talking to a friend of mine who's heavily into computers and networking and all that fun stuff and we got to talking about bitcoins.
He suggested using at sun sunfire t2000 under linux or unix for it's data crunching capabilies.
looking at specs for the t2000 sees that the cpu is a 8-core, 32-thread 1.4ghz cpu with 16gb of ram and twin 73gb sas hard drives.

Would this work? and if so, what would I see mining wise?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 05:43:45 PM

Was talking to a friend of mine who's heavily into computers and networking and all that fun stuff and we got to talking about bitcoins.
He suggested using at sun sunfire t2000 under linux or unix for it's data crunching capabilies.
looking at specs for the t2000 sees that the cpu is a 8-core, 32-thread 1.4ghz cpu with 16gb of ram and twin 73gb sas hard drives.

Would this work? and if so, what would I see mining wise?

No, it has pratically no hashpower for bitcoin.
Even for litecoin mining is useless: it has less hashpower than an Atom single core

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 05:45:56 PM

then where is all this number crunching my friend was talking about?
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 07:22:26 PM

The T2000 is mid-2000's server technology. It's been replaced by Intel Xeons in the Sun Fire line a long time ago. Not quite sure if it is weaker than an Atom though - the guy who said it was probably was exaggerating (a little).
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:33:57 PM

That's what I'm thinking because my friend has his set up as a mysql server under unix, but he seemed to think it'd work because the processor is an 8-core with each core having 32 threads equaling out to something like 256 threads, ment for some serious stable number crunching. I thought I'd ask the opinion here before I go looking for one.
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:46:09 PM

sounds like your buddy is looking to unload some worthless old tech

or something is getting lost in translation

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
Photon939

Activity: 452

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:48:35 PM

That's what I'm thinking because my friend has his set up as a mysql server under unix, but he seemed to think it'd work because the processor is an 8-core with each core having 32 threads equaling out to something like 256 threads, ment for some serious stable number crunching. I thought I'd ask the opinion here before I go looking for one.

Keep in mind that for example a Radeon hd5870 contains 1600 "cores" so-to-speak which are used in parallel when gpu mining. So you effectively have 1600 little processors all running at the clock speed of the gpu core (850mhz for a stock 5870) this is why it is substantially faster on GPUs. Litecoin was designed to be more CPU friendly so you'd probably see better results with that, but you will get dismal results either way (money wise) since the CPU is just way too old. It would be a different story if it were still the year 2000.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 08:56:09 PM

ok - so i'll stop looking for one and stick with my cpu(3ghz single-core Celeron pullin 1.3m/hs) mine for now. Thanks for the help and understanding in this.
Nemesis

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 10:05:56 PM

ok - so i'll stop looking for one and stick with my cpu(3ghz single-core Celeron pullin 1.3m/hs) mine for now. Thanks for the help and understanding in this.

Why do you even bother? Wasting energy is the most stupid thing.

Oh... and dont tell me u want to support bitcoin network. We've heard this crap so many times. You want to protect your country with a knife and a stick, you're still an idiot.
ercolinux
Legendary

Activity: 938

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 10:42:21 PM

The T2000 is mid-2000's server technology. It's been replaced by Intel Xeons in the Sun Fire line a long time ago. Not quite sure if it is weaker than an Atom though - the guy who said it was probably was exaggerating (a little).

No exaggeration: For litecoin the T2  8 core 64SMT processor used in the Sun server has a hashpower of 2,48MHash/s the Atom N270 has 2,57. The OP talks of a server with a is the T1 that is about half the speed of T2. Here's the source: http://wiki.litecoin.net/index.php/Mining_hardware_comparison
If you use it for "normal" data crunching probably will beat the Atom due to the high number of threads (but not of so much), because it has only 1 floating point unit shared by the cores

Bitrated user: ercolinux.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:13:21 AM

No exaggeration: For litecoin the T2  8 core 64SMT processor used in the Sun server has a hashpower of 2,48MHash/s the Atom N270 has 2,57. The OP talks of a server with a is the T1 that is about half the speed of T2. Here's the source: http://wiki.litecoin.net/index.php/Mining_hardware_comparison
If you use it for "normal" data crunching probably will beat the Atom due to the high number of threads (but not of so much), because it has only 1 floating point unit shared by the cores
Ok so multiple float points determine hash rate also, like the T4(something like 3 or 8 points, I don't remember).

Why do you even bother? Wasting energy is the most stupid thing. Oh... and dont tell me u want to support bitcoin network. We've heard this crap so many times. You want to protect your country with a knife and a stick, you're still an idiot.
Thanks for reminding me, even though my celeron's pulling 1.3 m/hs, I'm doing really good on btcmine.
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 03:24:38 AM
Last edit: November 06, 2012, 03:35:52 AM by Meatball

Thanks for reminding me, even though my celeron's pulling 1.3 m/hs, I'm doing really good on btcmine.

I'm assuming the fact you said you're mining with a single core 3 GHz Celeron to mean that you are mining with a Celeron D 345.  The 345 uses 73 watts at full load (and not counting power being used by any other PC components).  If you are truly mining at 1.3 mh/second and mine 24x7 for a full month you will make approximate .01 BTC or 13 cents US worth of BTC a month at today's BTC/$ rate.

Assuming you have _awesome_ power rates of .05 cents a kilowatt hour, that CPU is sucking up 1.752 Kilowatt hours/day or 52.56 Kilowatt Hours/month.  At .05 cents/kwh, you are spending $2.62 in electricity costs, so you are mining an making 20x less money than you are spending.

Even if you are getting free power, you're pushing your CPU at it's max and hurtling it ever so much quicker towards an early end of life.  I'm with Nemesis, stop wasting your time/power/money.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 03:54:06 AM

Ok so multiple float points determine hash rate also, like the T4(something like 3 or 8 points, I don't remember).

Why do you even bother? Wasting energy is the most stupid thing. Oh... and dont tell me u want to support bitcoin network. We've heard this crap so many times. You want to protect your country with a knife and a stick, you're still an idiot.

How can you be a 'Hero member'  and not know that you are spending 2 dollars to make 10 cents and tearing up your cpu to do it?HuhHuh

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:02:31 AM

How can you be a 'Hero member'  and not know that you are spending 2 dollars to make 10 cents and tearing up your cpu to do it?HuhHuh
Not sure, that has to do with either post count or length from start date. I never asked for it.

I'm assuming the fact you said you're mining with a single core 3 GHz Celeron to mean that you are mining with a Celeron D 345.  The 345 uses 73 watts at full load (and not counting power being used by any other PC components).  If you are truly mining at 1.3 mh/second and mine 24x7 for a full month you will make approximate .01 BTC or 13 cents US worth of BTC a month at today's BTC/$ rate.
Assuming you have _awesome_ power rates of .05 cents a kilowatt hour, that CPU is sucking up 1.752 Kilowatt hours/day or 52.56 Kilowatt Hours/month.  At .05 cents/kwh, you are spending $2.62 in electricity costs, so you are mining an making 20x less money than you are spending. Even if you are getting free power, you're pushing your CPU at it's max and hurtling it ever so much quicker towards an early end of life.  I'm with Nemesis, stop wasting your time/power/money.

Intel 3.8ghz Pentium 4 Celeron. There's no D on it anywhere, if it is, it is. I'm not worried about power consumption, desktop doesn't have anything on it but XP pro and bill doesn't get any higher now then it did before I started mining. On that note, not everyone is super rich and can afford a video card good enough for mining, so cpu mining is my only way to go. I'm more then open to accept one to mine, but since I know that'll never happen, I'll stick with what I got.
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:20:24 AM

Not sure, that has to do with either post count or length from start date. I never asked for it.

I'm assuming the fact you said you're mining with a single core 3 GHz Celeron to mean that you are mining with a Celeron D 345.  The 345 uses 73 watts at full load (and not counting power being used by any other PC components).  If you are truly mining at 1.3 mh/second and mine 24x7 for a full month you will make approximate .01 BTC or 13 cents US worth of BTC a month at today's BTC/$ rate.
Assuming you have _awesome_ power rates of .05 cents a kilowatt hour, that CPU is sucking up 1.752 Kilowatt hours/day or 52.56 Kilowatt Hours/month.  At .05 cents/kwh, you are spending $2.62 in electricity costs, so you are mining an making 20x less money than you are spending. Even if you are getting free power, you're pushing your CPU at it's max and hurtling it ever so much quicker towards an early end of life.  I'm with Nemesis, stop wasting your time/power/money.

Intel 3.8ghz Pentium 4 Celeron. There's no D on it anywhere, if it is, it is. I'm not worried about power consumption, desktop doesn't have anything on it but XP pro and bill doesn't get any higher now then it did before I started mining. On that note, not everyone is super rich and can afford a video card good enough for mining, so cpu mining is my only way to go. I'm more then open to accept one to mine, but since I know that'll never happen, I'll stick with what I got.

I like the attitude, but how many BTC do you mine so far?  I mean per what period? Etc academical curiosity.

BTC Long.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:31:47 AM

I like the attitude, but how many BTC do you mine so far?  I mean per what period? Etc academical curiosity.
I've been on BTCMine just a bit over a day and won't know until the block is done, seems it's in the middle of a 3day block.
I don't see getting no more then 0.004, but I could be wrong.
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:16:54 AM

So even with 700 posts, you don't particularly mine? This is new, a trial, or?

BTC Long.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:25:03 AM

I mine on and off, nothing ever significant.
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:52:10 AM

I mine on and off, nothing ever significant.
From your previous statements I presume that you haven't looked under the "hood of your car" yet. Personally, that's the first thing I did before I even invested a cent in BTC.

Your negligence aside, you have much to learn about computing technology before you can understand WHY mining prefers certain computing platforms over others. Your friend apparently has no clue either.
As a start look up http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_Computing and figure out which kind of parallel computing problem bitcoin mining is.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Meatball

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 01:18:36 PM

I'm not trying to bust your chops man, really just trying to help you see what you're really getting out of BTC mining.  To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a Pentium 4 Celeron, it's either a Pentium 4 or a Celeron/Celeron D.  I'm guessing it's a P4, because the fastest Celeron ever made was 3.6 GHz.  There's a bunch of P4's at 3.8 GHz including the P4 HT 3.8F, the P4 HT 570J, or the P4 HT 571, all of which are running at least 115 Watts, not the 73 watts, which makes things even worse from a cost standpoint.  Any of those parts are going to suck up 82.8 Kilowatt hours/month.  At 5 cents a kilowatt hour, your spending $4.14 in power, and more likely at 10 cents or more a kilowatt hour, your spending $8.18+ in power.  All for 13 cents of BTC.  Do you know what your power costs are per kilowatt hour?  It's a relatively easy calculation to determine your monthly costs.

Code:
Power Used in Watts x Hours in the Day (24) x Days in the Month (28-31) / 1000 (To convert to Kilowatt hours) * Power Cost/kilowatt hour

I understand you can't afford a video card good enough for mining and it's awesome your interested in BTC/mining, but you're _paying_ at least $4 and likely upwards of $8-$10 a month just to mine, and your killing your CPU in the process.  Stop mining for a few months and stick $10 in a jar each month.  You can go on eBay and pick up a 5770 for $40-$50 that will mine 163 times more BTC than you are currently doing with your CPU at the same or even lower power use.  Just about any video card made in the past 3 or 4 years is going make you more BTC per power input than that CPU.  To be honest, even awesome GPU's won't be worth mining with if ASIC's hit the scene in the next few months.

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:34:43 PM

oh i know - i'm waiting for asics to actualy come out, that's the future of mining. In the meantime, I have a bucket of lga775 cpus floating around the bedroom somewhere so not worried about browning it out. Your points are valid, but at this point unless someone's willing to send me a card on an investment, I'll stick with what I have.
Meatball

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:38:26 PM

You might make out better just buying BTC.  Buy 1 BTC a month for $10 and you'd spend about the same amount of money you are spending on power and get 99 times the BTC you are mining Smiley
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:41:22 PM

well I do have an ad on BTCJam but that's for a totaly different reason and doubt anyone will fulfil... I may make another ad for a card, I dunno.
RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 02:42:31 PM

you'll make more from using http://www.bitvisitor.com/

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 04:15:36 PM
Last edit: November 06, 2012, 05:32:09 PM by logansryche

you'll make more from using http://www.bitvisitor.com/

Interesting site - I'll have to give it and cointube.tv a run. Apreciate the redirect.

EDIT: Going to wait until this block is finished, or reach 0.1btc before I pull the cpu miner. I enjoy choking the life out of this intel desktop, it was in a house fire before I got it, and I need it for a habbo hotel server.
Meatball

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 09:11:08 PM

Here you go.  Radeon 6450, $15 after rebate.  Still sucks for mining, but will produce about 25-35x what you are producing now while only using about 20 more watts of power.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:28:00 PM

wish i found one of those last month to play with when I had money to play with >.<
A member here on the forum offered to sell me his 5830 for $75 plus shipping, but meh.
I also had the off idea last night to build a converter box that converts a pcie port to 8 since I have the slots for em.
100%digital

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:09:48 PM

...one of the best threads i've seen in a while -no doubt.

now /thread already.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:05:24 PM

Just put a bid on a 4350 on listia, it's crap in m/hs but better then cpu mining.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:14:04 PM

Just put a bid on a 4350 on listia, it's crap in m/hs but better then cpu mining.

not really.  still only .71 cents in a month...  still spending 4-8 dollars in electricity for .71

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison

jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:22:03 PM

not really.  still only .71 cents in a month...  still spending 4-8 dollars in electricity for .71
Amazing that people haven't lined up around the block to invest with someone who has this incredible business acumen.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:23:15 PM

Yes well, 10 m/hs is better then 1.3 m/hs, yes? The card I wanted someone was selling for 15,000 credits.
Way more then I'll ever see. If I win it, It'll do for now. Small steps.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:29:23 PM

not really.  still only .71 cents in a month...  still spending 4-8 dollars in electricity for .71

Yes well, 10 m/hs is better then 1.3 m/hs, yes?

NO, its not...

and it hasn't been since about june of 2011.

since you obviously have free electricity,  maybe we should make a deal,  i send you cards, you make em run, and i will give you 10% of all hashing..

a couple of 5870's will be over 800Mh.

edit:
seriously, dont you get the fact that someone is paying 8 dollars for you to make 10c (71c with new card)....a month?

seriously..  lets call it 50 cents.... a month?  are you in the USA? 

drives me crazy....

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 07:44:30 PM

NO, its not...
and it hasn't been since about june of 2011.
since you obviously have free electricity,  maybe we should make a deal,  i send you cards, you make em run, and i will give you 10% of all hashing.. a couple of 5870's will be over 800Mh.
Aww damn, was so gonna take ya up on that offer, pity I only have one PCIE slot.

seriously, dont you get the fact that someone is paying 8 dollars for you to make 10c (71c with new card)....a month?
seriously..  lets call it 50 cents.... a month?  are you in the USA?  drives me crazy....
Did I break your brain? Awesome. I am in the USA, and while power isn't free to me, I could probly get away with running a few 6990s for a few months before noticing any power increase but since I only have one PCIE slot to play with my options are to get what I can afford or attempt to build a FPGA or a PCIE exter or something.

Shermo

Activity: 272

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:21:44 PM

This thread is awesome... electricity that isn't free and you are unable to grasp basic maths that say you are utterly wasting money and ruining the environment for absolutely nothing...

It's marginally understandable to run CPU's or low-end GPU's if you get free electricity from accommodation / work... but otherwise... WHY??
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 08:48:26 PM

Aww damn, was so gonna take ya up on that offer, pity I only have one PCIE slot.

I would send you one, but the shipping would cost more then i would make from the saved electricity..  sorry.

hmmm, cost benefit analysis.  so thats what that means.

That being said, if your doing it for the 'fun' factor, like when we used to do seti at home. that would make more sense.  Why dont you do some protein folding or something like that?

Meatball

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:03:56 PM

Did I break your brain? Awesome. I am in the USA, and while power isn't free to me, I could probly get away with running a few 6990s for a few months before noticing any power increase but since I only have one PCIE slot to play with my options are to get what I can afford or attempt to build a FPGA or a PCIE exter or something.

Ah, you'd be surprised at how quick someone will notice spikes in power usages/bills.  A Radeon 6990 will easily draw 350-400 watts at full load and hash somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 mh/s depending on overclock.  Now assuming you can get a few of them, which will run you $300-$400 each, even for used ones on eBay, two of them in a a hashing machine is going to probably use up 800-900 watts for about 1.5 GH/sec.

Now let's talk to our old buddy math.

If your power rate is 5 cents/kwh (crazy low)
 - (900 Watts * 24 Hours * 30 Days /1000) = 648 Kilowatt/hours * .05 = $32.40 Power Cost.

10 cents/kwh (Low to average US):
 - (900 Watts * 24 Hours * 30 Days /1000) = 648 Kilowatt/hours * .10 = $64.80 Power Cost.

20 cents/kwh (High in most of the US, Low in California)
 - (900 Watts * 24 Hours * 30 Days /1000) = 648 Kilowatt/hours * .20 = $129.60 Power Cost.

None of those are particularly bad because at current rates, you'll be producing about 16 BTC a month worth about $175, making a profit of anywhere from $142 to $45 after you pull out your power costs.  Then again, you still have at least $600 worth of video cards you need to pay off, so in the absolute best case scenario, you're looking at 4.2 months before you even break even.

You also can't forget that difficulty will probably go up every two weeks and you'll be making less as time goes on and that 4.2 months could easily stretch out to 5 or 6 months.  And I don't know about you, but I'm sure any landlord/parent/boss is going to notice a $100 jump in a power bill really quick.

Finally, if you consider that there's a very good chance that within 2-3 months ASIC's will start arriving and those two 6990's that were producing 16 BTC could very soon only be producing .5-.8 BTC a month while still racking up the same power costs, you might want to rethink _any_ GPU purchase at all.

All in all, at least do some calculations to figure out if you are at least making back what you are spending in power with an eye towards the fact that what you are making today will not be what you are making in a month, 3 months or 6 months time.

jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:11:13 PM

One last thing and then ill stop..

I am in the USA, and while power isn't free to me

So we know you pay for power.

I could probly get away with running a few 6990s for a few months before noticing any power increase

And now we know you have an extra hundred a month that "you wouldn't even notice".

Since you have all this extra money, buy yourself a 7970.  you can get almost 3Mh per watt....  

edit:  We may have been 'trolled'

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:22:22 PM

Ah, you'd be surprised at how quick someone will notice spikes in power usages/bills.  A Radeon 6990 will easily draw 350-400 watts at full load and hash somewhere in the neighborhood of 750 mh/s depending on overclock.  Now assuming you can get a few of them, which will run you $300-$400 each, even for used ones on eBay, two of them in a a hashing machine is going to probably use up 800-900 watts for about 1.5 GH/sec.

Now let's talk to our old buddy math.

If your power rate is 5 cents/kwh (crazy low)
 - (900 Watts * 24 Hours * 30 Days /1000) = 648 Kilowatt/hours * .05 = $32.40 Power Cost.

10 cents/kwh (Low to average US):
 - (900 Watts * 24 Hours * 30 Days /1000) = 648 Kilowatt/hours * .10 = $64.80 Power Cost.

20 cents/kwh (High in most of the US, Low in California)
 - (900 Watts * 24 Hours * 30 Days /1000) = 648 Kilowatt/hours * .20 = $129.60 Power Cost.

None of those are particularly bad because at current rates, you'll be producing about 16 BTC a month worth about $175, making a profit of anywhere from $142 to $45 after you pull out your power costs.  Then again, you still have at least $600 worth of video cards you need to pay off, so in the absolute best case scenario, you're looking at 4.2 months before you even break even. You also can't forget that difficulty will probably go up every two weeks and you'll be making less as time goes on and that 4.2 months could easily stretch out to 5 or 6 months.  And I don't know about you, but I'm sure any landlord/parent/boss is going to notice a $100 jump in a power bill really quick. Finally, if you consider that there's a very good chance that within 2-3 months ASIC's will start arriving and those two 6990's that were producing 16 BTC could very soon only be producing .5-.8 BTC a month while still racking up the same power costs, you might want to rethink _any_ GPU purchase at all. All in all, at least do some calculations to figure out if you are at least making back what you are spending in power with an eye towards the fact that what you are making today will not be what you are making in a month, 3 months or 6 months time.
I think you missed my point. Firstly, My IF I could afford any 6990s, I could run 6 consistently for 6mos before noticing anything in my power bill. Secondly, desktop only has ONE PCIE slot so unless I can magically make a port extender appear, I'd only be able to run one card of any card I can afford.

I don't, but the owner of the house lets me see the bill.

And now we know you have an extra hundred a month that "you wouldn't even notice".
Since you have all this extra money, buy yourself a 7970.  you can get almost 3Mh per watt.... 
I never said I could afford 6990s, but with what they pull, I know what the system here at the house can handle.

Meatball

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:26:15 PM

I think you missed my point. Firstly, My IF I could afford any 6990s, I could run 6 consistently for 6mos before noticing anything in my power bill. Secondly, desktop only has ONE PCIE slot so unless I can magically make a port extender appear, I'd only be able to run one card of any card I can afford.

I never said I could afford 6990s, but with what they pull, I know what the system here at the house can handle.

Call me majorly impressed if you can hide almost 2000 kilowatt hours worth of power use per month.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 09:44:07 PM

It's something to do with the state of NY and reduced power since house owner is on SSI.
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 09:53:48 PM

OP are you trollin?

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:00:34 PM

not that i'm aware of... this origionaly started out as a discussion wither or not a certain unit could mine since it has a 32-process set up but the knowledigle people in the thread pointed out that it wasn't possible based on the chip having one floating point. It's been alot of back and forth either by people who don't know what their talking about, judge me by my past, or try to rile me up so I explode and leave. I was honestly trying to get feedback about using a unit to mine.
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:18:11 PM

Instead of getting that T 2000,on ebay they go for $265-1000 on average:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=sun+sunfire+t2000&_sop=16

Take that cash & get a couple of Jalapenos  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:27:00 PM

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=sun+sunfire+t2000&_sop=16

I've been tempted to, but if what's true of bfl, preodering won't be worth it. I still might just go build me a FPGA and mine from that.
Trying to pester a few folks for their board designs and how where they got parts/board fabications/etc...
legitnick

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 10:42:56 PM

not that i'm aware of... this origionaly started out as a discussion wither or not a certain unit could mine since it has a 32-process set up but the knowledigle people in the thread pointed out that it wasn't possible based on the chip having one floating point. It's been alot of back and forth either by people who don't know what their talking about, judge me by my past, or try to rile me up so I explode and leave. I was honestly trying to get feedback about using a unit to mine.
Seems like that rustled a few peoples jimmies. If I were you I'd buy a single for $600 then upgrade it to a single SC for $700 and if bfl doesn't deliver just ask for a refund.

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:44:59 PM

I was thinking of doing that also, since the single looks really good right about now.
legitnick

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 10:45:48 PM

I was thinking of doing that also, since the single looks really good right about now.
Also all you need is a usb port to run it..

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:46:38 PM

I've been tempted to, but if what's true of bfl, preodering won't be worth it. I still might just go build me a FPGA and mine from that.
Trying to pester a few folks for their board designs and how where they got parts/board fabications/etc...

Your funny  Cheesy

I looked into that myself,for the money you'll need to build em,you'd be better off just buying old FPGA's from folks on here........

It's unlikely anyone is going to LET you copy thier hardware  Roll Eyes

BTW,only reason I mentioned BFL Jalapeno's is they are $150 each,no one else has anything cheaper than $600.

You should have one by mid/late jan if you order now.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 10:56:40 PM

well I was looking at eldentyrell's fpga and thought that would be a good base if there was a way to increase the hash rate, and except for the spartan 6 and the pcb, I have the other parts lying around somewhere.
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:10:26 AM

well I was looking at eldentyrell's fpga and thought that would be a good base if there was a way to increase the hash rate, and except for the spartan 6 and the pcb, I have the other parts lying around somewhere.

The pcb is hardest thing to get dude!! I know,I tryed to copy an FPGA already,won't say which one,but every electronics firm I bounced this idea off of needed $5000 or more up front to even get anyone  to look into it.They didn't care about copyrights,just cash up front & we'll see what we can do................  Roll Eyes

Only way to increase the h/r is if eldentyrell releases or updates his firmware & that h/r increase will be trivial compared to the difficulty skyrocketing when ASIC's start mining.

Best & only way to mine,unless you have free power,is to jump on the ASIC wagon.

Get one (an ASIC) & mine with it,then roll those coins into another & so on,until you hit your goal,my goal is $500 a week,I'm thinking 250-350 gh,depending on network total hashrate (& price of coins too).

Gotta start somewhere,I did in june last year & its been growing for me  Cool

logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:51:11 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 06:11:02 PM by logansryche

dang it - I was just browsing the list of stuff my pick supplier has and he's got a bunch of spartan 6 chips >.<
I'd go get one if I had the money to or could get a loan to do so.

EDIT: I made up a loan request on BTCJam for one. Here's hoping it's fulfilled.
legitnick

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 07:35:23 PM

dang it - I was just browsing the list of stuff my pick supplier has and he's got a bunch of spartan 6 chips >.<

Try posting on the lending board and you might get more people to loan you moneys.

Bengt Bedrup

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:27:20 PM

A bit late, but if you actually want to pull something like this it would be better to tell the owner to give you $5 each month. That way you don't have to spend say $10 of the owner's money to get 80 cents of your own. Win-win!
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:29:43 PM

A bit late, but if you actually want to pull something like this it would be better to tell the owner to give you $5 each month. That way you don't have to spend say $10 of the owner's money to get 80 cents of your own. Win-win!

Valid point...

Signature space available for rent.
jwzguy

Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 06:18:09 PM

Try posting on the lending board and you might get more people to loan you moneys.
I doubt any lenders would trust someone who thinks it's ok to steal 10$ from his landlord in electricity to make 80 cents of BTC.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 05:36:04 PM

landlord's fience's father and he's ok with my activities.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 06:25:10 PM

Show him what bills he will have to pay to support your hobby  Smiley

Signature space available for rent.
repentance

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 08:03:33 PM
Last edit: November 11, 2012, 09:15:32 PM by repentance

That's unlikely.  logansryche has a "history" here when it comes to following through on commitments.  He'd be better off seeking funding elsewhere. It may even be better if he doesn't use his forum username over on BTCJam.  He also posts a whole lot of stuff elsewhere online which might make people think twice about lending to him.

Quote from: logansryche

Really?  He knows all about the ad on Fetish Fishing and is just fine with you making money that way?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
logansryche (OP)

View Profile
November 11, 2012, 10:09:42 PM

He's perfectly fine with trying new ways of bringing in an income(bitcoin), and if you search for me on btcjam, I'm more verified there then I am here(not that it makes any difference). My fiance's bondage fetish is not up for discussion, especially in the hardware section. You can keep knicking me and the way I did things but whatever - i'm here to stay.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: