Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:39:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request. Standardize naming of RPC Calls (bounty)  (Read 1432 times)
TangibleCryptography (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
November 04, 2012, 06:14:32 PM

So I am doing some programming and a minor thing that bugs me is the "weird" naming convention of a minority of the RPC calls.

Code:
bitcoind help

addmultisigaddress <nrequired> <'["key","key"]'> [account]
backupwallet <destination>
createrawtransaction [{"txid":txid,"vout":n},...] {address:amount,...}
decoderawtransaction <hex string>
dumpprivkey <bitcoinaddress>
getaccount <bitcoinaddress>
getaccountaddress <account>
getaddressesbyaccount <account>
getbalance [account] [minconf=1]
getblock <hash>
getblockcount
getblockhash <index>
getblocktemplate [params]
getconnectioncount
getdifficulty
getgenerate
gethashespersec
getinfo
getmininginfo
getnewaddress [account]
getpeerinfo
getrawmempool
getrawtransaction <txid> [verbose=0]
getreceivedbyaccount <account> [minconf=1]
getreceivedbyaddress <bitcoinaddress> [minconf=1]
gettransaction <txid>
getwork [data]
help [command]
importprivkey <bitcoinprivkey> [label]
keypoolrefill
listaccounts [minconf=1]
listaddressgroupings
listreceivedbyaccount [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listreceivedbyaddress [minconf=1] [includeempty=false]
listsinceblock [blockhash] [target-confirmations]
listtransactions [account] [count=10] [from=0]
listunspent [minconf=1] [maxconf=9999999]  ["address",...]
move <fromaccount> <toaccount> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment]
sendfrom <fromaccount> <tobitcoinaddress> <amount> [minconf=1] [comment] [comment-to]
sendmany <fromaccount> {address:amount,...} [minconf=1] [comment]
sendrawtransaction <hex string>
sendtoaddress <bitcoinaddress> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]
setaccount <bitcoinaddress> <account>
setgenerate <generate> [genproclimit]
settxfee <amount>
signmessage <bitcoinaddress> <message>
signrawtransaction <hex string> [{"txid":txid,"vout":n,"scriptPubKey":hex},...] [<privatekey1>,...] [sighashtype="ALL"]
stop
submitblock <hex data> [optional-params-obj]
validateaddress <bitcoinaddress>
verifymessage <bitcoinaddress> <signature> <message>
walletlock
walletpassphrase <passphrase> <timeout>
walletpassphrasechange <oldpassphrase> <newpassphrase>

Generally procedure calls have a "verb".  It is a command you are asking the system (any system) to do something.  Getbalance ... instructing the bitcoind to get something, get what?  the balance.  The call getbalance is self documenting.  It is clear that the call will be returning information and the information returned is the balance.  Names which lack a verb are not self describing.  Most of the RPC calls follow this convention, the list above can be summarized as the following verbs

Code:
add
backup
create
decode
dump
get
import
list
move
send
set
sign
stop
submit
validate
verify

There are four calls which break with that convention:
Code:
keypoolrefill
walletlock
walletpassphrase <passphrase> <timeout>
walletpassphrasechange <oldpassphrase> <newpassphrase>

Of the four "walletpassphrase" is the worst.  It lacks any verb and thus the call itself isn't self documenting at all (walletpassphrase what?).  I suggest the four calls be renamed to fit with the standard set by the other RPC calls (verb + object of verb)
Code:
refillkeypool
lockwallet
unlockwallet <passphrase> <timeout>
setpassphrase <oldpassphrase> <newpassphrase>

To avoid breaking compatibility with existing code the current RPC calls can be made deprecated aliases to the newly named ones.  I know it is relatively minor but it just bugs me every time I am doing some bitcoind coding.  I don't have the time to do the modifications and pull request so I am offering a bounty.  2BTC for a completed pull, and 3 BTC more when integrated into the mainline.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
November 04, 2012, 10:42:35 PM

These are pretty easy changes.

https://github.com/kjj2/bitcoin/commit/c82fa0b722b0aec843e4538b1f21f5298fb2fee6

I changed the names of the functions too, so I'm running a full recompile to make sure I didn't typo anything.

This isn't worth 5 BTC by the way.  If this gets accepted, either give the bounty to some worthy cause, or hold onto it until you have a more difficult change request.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:20:22 AM

I had to rebase this against the latest master.  New link is:

https://github.com/kjj2/bitcoin/commit/4ba9b0603e235c2579622e3fc4d554da8507f345

I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Herbert

Activity: 488
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 11:58:51 AM

While I like the idea we have to make sure to stay backwardscompatible. So we can not just rename the commands and break all sorts of things that rely on the existing commands.
Better would be to add new commands and mark the old ones as "deprecated" and remove them only after some intermediate releases are done.

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:02:10 PM

While I like the idea we have to make sure to stay backwardscompatible. So we can not just rename the commands and break all sorts of things that rely on the existing commands.
Better would be to add new commands and mark the old ones as "deprecated" and remove them only after some intermediate releases are done.

You didn't actually look at my commit, did you?  Smiley

Herbert

Activity: 488
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 12:08:25 PM

How embarassing  Embarrassed I DID click on the commit, skimmed the first few lines that showed removal of existing commands and went back to comment here. Please forgive my ignorance  Lips sealed

www.bitcoinmonitor.net - Free payment notification via email, newsfeed, xpmm/jabber, url callback and full API access!
Send SMS with www.txt4coins.net! No registration, pay-per-use, full API access, bulk messages - All inclusive!
kjj
Legendary

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:17:11 PM

How embarassing  Embarrassed I DID click on the commit, skimmed the first few lines that showed removal of existing commands and went back to comment here. Please forgive my ignorance  Lips sealed

No worries.  It happens.

Since everything goes through a dispatch table, it was easy enough to put duplicate entries in so that the old commands would keep working.  The catch is that the list of commands that you get from typing "bitcoind help" is generated from that table, and I wasn't sure how to prevent duplicates.  Turned out that the problem had already come up before and someone else had fixed it so I didn't have to.

TangibleCryptography (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 02:30:32 PM

No worries.  It happens.

Since everything goes through a dispatch table, it was easy enough to put duplicate entries in so that the old commands would keep working.  The catch is that the list of commands that you get from typing "bitcoind help" is generated from that table, and I wasn't sure how to prevent duplicates.  Turned out that the problem had already come up before and someone else had fixed it so I didn't have to.

That was a nice implementation.  If the pull is integrated in the mainline all that is required is updated docs on sites like the wiki and unless new developers look at the source the old variants will be invisible, yet will still retain backwards compatibility. 

Backwards compatibility and forward standardization a win-win scenario.

Thanks. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: