Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 07:35:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are ASIC's the endgame?  (Read 3197 times)
Meatball (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:56:34 PM

Let's not turn this into a troll/fanboi thread on ASIC's.  My question is, is there any technology out there that could push ASIC mining out the window the way ASIC's will do to GPU and GPU's did to CPU, or is ASIC mining 'as good as it gets' and will be the endgame for bitcoin mining?
ice_chill

Activity: 336

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 12:58:32 PM

Yes and No.

Right now ASIC is the final say amongst silicon based chips.

In the future, quantum computing might push it out.
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 01:03:16 PM

If someone finds someway to reduce the work by for example 20 bits it would be a million times faster.
That trick could work for all current technologies, cpu/gpa/fpga/asic.
But keep in mind, the trick would be something many cryptographers haven't found yet. So personally I would bet on quantum computers.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2012, 01:10:08 PM

There are those who think that ASICs are the endgame for pretty much everything. Meaning that to keep up with Moores Law it will be necessary for eventually every person on earth to work in the microelectronics industry.

Obviously this won't be the case but we are already at a point where it takes an ridiculous amount of manpower to design and construct the things, and it isn't getting better. So according to this theory moores law will be cut short because a lack of human resources.
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 01:28:28 PM

If someone finds someway to reduce the work by for example 20 bits it would be a million times faster.
But keep in mind, the trick would be something many cryptographers haven't found yet. So personally I would bet on quantum computers.

many people wouldn't believe that for many crypto technologies so far... from md5 to SHA-1...
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 02:40:21 PM

Let's not turn this into a troll/fanboi thread on ASIC's.  My question is, is there any technology out there that could push ASIC mining out the window the way ASIC's will do to GPU and GPU's did to CPU, or is ASIC mining 'as good as it gets' and will be the endgame for bitcoin mining?

For all intensive purposes ASICs are as good as it gets. Of course there are different manufacturing processes of ASICs and they are progressively getting smaller. So this is certainly room for improvement within the ASIC domain.

If quantum computing turns into something real that may be the next step, but it's not exactly a feasible step because there have not been many practical implementations of it. These technology have to widely accepted for scientific computation or PC industry before someone would port the technology and make it cheap enough for bitcoin mining.
dooferorg

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 02:41:13 PM

ASICs might be the 'endgame' in terms of a type of technology, but the realization of that technology has stepping stones and can be improved upon. Process/die size is the big one that can change and that will enable more work to be done per clock or Watt leading to more efficient solutions.

By the time ASICs as a technology is obsoleted, all the bitcoin blocks will have been mined anyway  Grin

Edit: Ninja'd by abeaulieu

BTC: 1dooferoD3vnwgez3Jo1E4bFfgMf81LR2
ZEC: t1gnToN2HZW4GD52kofEVdijhRijWjCNfYi
bobitza

Activity: 560
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:04:00 PM

ASICs might be the 'endgame' in terms of a type of technology, but the realization of that technology has stepping stones and can be improved upon. Process/die size is the big one that can change and that will enable more work to be done per clock or Watt leading to more efficient solutions.

Do you know what type of improvements are we looking at? Double Gh/W from the best (future) existing ratio?

ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Meatball (OP)

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 05:20:42 PM

Ah, I hadn't thought about Quantum, but as someone mentioned above, I don't really see them really being a factor for some time.  Hopefully I'm wrong, as it'd be awesome to have them, but it's just so far removed at this point that I think you can discount them for a while.

I agree that people will be able to tweak and prod ASIC's just like GPU's improved over time, but I was really wondering if there were any future contenders for bitcoin mining and it looks like ASIC's are it for a while.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
November 05, 2012, 06:10:13 PM

By the time ASICs as a technology is obsoleted, all the bitcoin blocks will have been mined anyway  Grin

But that doesn't imply an end to mining.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 05:24:29 PM

For all intensive purposes ASICs are as good as it gets.

Mah purposes be mo' intensive den yours.

I agree that the move to ASICs will likely be the last big leap before quantum processing.  That said, within the limits of today's ASIC technology, I think there's still room for a few more doublings of efficiency yet.

Regardless of the technology, there's always the possibility of algorithmic improvements -- "mathematical shortcuts".  Things like this:
http://www.nature.com/news/proof-claimed-for-deep-connection-between-primes-1.11378

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 05:52:37 PM

I do think that ASICs are the final step in terms of hardware progression, but can't those ASICs be further improved in the future? Can't they be made to be smaller, use less power, and faster clocked?

Just for comparison, BFL said that their chips can be clocked upwards of 1GHz, but that they won't be clocked that high right out of the box. I want to say they're running at 500MHz, IIRC? Isn't it possible in the next 5 years to create a product that uses a smaller manufacturing process, and is clocked at much higher speeds, say 2GHz? We could have the future SC Single TURBO making 200GH/s @ 40W/

Am I wrong about all of this?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:09:50 PM

I'm not sure if you really want to clock these things at 2GHz.
A normal cpu/gpu has many parts that aren't active together.
If you have a bitcoin miner the size of a modern processor at the same manufacturing process and at the same clock speed, it will generate very much more heat.
Meatball (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 07:39:48 PM

I'm not sure if you really want to clock these things at 2GHz.
A normal cpu/gpu has many parts that aren't active together.
If you have a bitcoin miner the size of a modern processor at the same manufacturing process and at the same clock speed, it will generate very much more heat.

Yeah, and eventually you get to a point of diminishing returns.  If you get 10% more out of a unit, but burn it out 15% faster, what's the point?
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 08:57:03 PM

Yeah, and eventually you get to a point of diminishing returns.  If you get 10% more out of a unit, but burn it out 15% faster, what's the point?

Because with difficulty increasing, increased performance now will find more shares than longer life.

Buy & Hold
BitBlitz

Activity: 285

Turning money into heat since 2011.

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:00:27 PM

I'd summarize it as:   Once ASICs are out, we're coasting along with Moore's Law.  There will be improvements, such as smaller circuits on chip, more efficient designs, and increased parallelism, but these will be evolutionary improvements, not revolutionary. 

I see the value of Bitcoin, so I don't worry about the price...
kwoody

Activity: 454

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 02:48:59 AM

I'd summarize it as:   Once ASICs are out, we're coasting along with Moore's Law.  There will be improvements, such as smaller circuits on chip, more efficient designs, and increased parallelism, but these will be evolutionary improvements, not revolutionary. 

this, theoretically the company makes enough money producing gen1 products and is able to come out with a smaller nm fabrication build etc. 32nm asic would be sweet
michaelmclees

Activity: 633
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:50:45 PM

This isn't the question so much as, "What percentage of your mining income do you spend increasing your hardware?"  It'll be yet another kind of market speculation where the winner is the one who is able to make accurate predictions in both exchange rate and shipping times.  In case you're wondering, this race has already started and the runner who picked the company that is first to ship will be the only one who doesn't trip over the first hurdle.  If you bought BFL and Tom ships first... you're playing catch-up for a good long while.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

Moore's law is not a law, as much as a target. It has been fine for a multibillion dollar microprocessing industry, but for the bitcoin world?

The rest though, of course. Though I suspect that with the fluctuation of BTC you will see ebbs and flows of evolution not paralleled in other industries

firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 04:38:10 AM

Do you know what type of improvements are we looking at? Double Gh/W from the best (future) existing ratio?

Really it's just of electrical surface area... aka as it gets smaller you can put more transistors on the chip in the same space. This comes out as reduced heat and less wattage used.

Now I'm not sure if parallel or modular design is being used in bitcoin ASICs... I'd guess module tho and that's probably taking it in the wrong direction technologically.

Instead of developing smaller silicon that can run at higher clock rates... we should be designing large gate arrays that could hash an entire nonce in a few clock cycles. Sure they'd be 10x the size and much 'slower' but they'd be fast as hell at actually producing work.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: