Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:13:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vote SaltySpitoon for Alt Currency Moderator!  (Read 6908 times)
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 02:45:22 AM

You do realize Mods are nothing but unpaid employees with a really shitty job, right?
Volunteers. And that's pure conjecture, assuming you can't provide factual evidence.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 03:05:37 AM

You do realize Mods are nothing but unpaid employees with a really shitty job, right?
Volunteers. And that's pure conjecture, assuming you can't provide factual evidence.

I was a forum mod for almost a year (not here). Listening to people whine was such a terrible job and took so much of my time that I started to forget why I came to that forum to begin with.

Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 03:24:30 AM

I was a forum mod for almost a year (not here). Listening to people whine was such a terrible job and took so much of my time that I started to forget why I came to that forum to begin with.

I think it has a lot to do with wanting to improve the quality of the forum. Most people here already listen to people whine, so why not be able to do something about it?

hi
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 04:13:34 AM

I think it has a lot to do with wanting to improve the quality of the forum. Most people here already listen to people whine, so why not be able to do something about it?

When I say whine I mean about what you’re doing as a mod. We needed to know HTML to understand how to move, merge, add, and delete text, graphics, and links. We were required to help with technical problems, site access problems and posting problems. We had to relocate discussions to appropriate sections, write ban recommendations for the admin, close or lock threads based on interest or lack of activity, read everything whether you were interested or not, edit post content, delete threads, constantly worry about someone reporting your decisions, defend your actions all the time and for NO pay. Oh, we were mostly invisible too. At least the mods here get to contribute in the discussion. Does that sound like a good job to you? I wouldn’t do it again for $20 an hour. 

SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 04:36:27 AM

well, I rather enjoy the job. I just read over the threads that I would read over either way, and sort out minor discrepancies.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2012, 04:38:08 AM

That does sound pretty shitty, I wouldn't do that either.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12873

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 05:06:46 AM

When I say whine I mean about what you’re doing as a mod. We needed to know HTML to understand how to move, merge, add, and delete text, graphics, and links. We were required to help with technical problems, site access problems and posting problems. We had to relocate discussions to appropriate sections, write ban recommendations for the admin, close or lock threads based on interest or lack of activity, read everything whether you were interested or not, edit post content, delete threads, constantly worry about someone reporting your decisions, defend your actions all the time and for NO pay. Oh, we were mostly invisible too. At least the mods here get to contribute in the discussion. Does that sound like a good job to you? I wouldn’t do it again for $20 an hour. 

This forum is nothing like that. That sounds like a terrible forum for both the moderators and the posters.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 05:27:45 AM

This forum is nothing like that. That sounds like a terrible forum for both the moderators and the posters.

Very true, you have no idea what a breath of fresh air this forum is.

Many forums are started solely for profit and developed around a phenomena or product line. The forum gives customers an outlet to discuss the topic, product or range of products. Advertizing and donations from wealthy benefactors brings in the money and supports a few at the top (sometimes only the Owner & Administrator) and pays the bills. Our business development officer used to suggest deletion of threads at the request of a sponsor! Zest for the topic or product (guns, computer parts or whatever) tends to get volunteers to “help out” or the admin will sometimes recruit from the ranks. Pretty soon you begin to realize you're just working a part time job so someone else can eat - but I’m not bitter.  Grin

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 07:03:24 PM

What does being a moderator give you in terms of special powers?

* Can you see the IP address of posters and identify sock puppets?
No.
Please note that the answers I gave above are just the defaults. They can be changed if people believe that SaltySpitoon shouldn't have certain powers.

I hope theymos has enough brains to never turn IP reading for this salty person, I don't care how many posts were reported by this person. I am still very skeptical about salty with past events he/she/shemale clearly stated.
SaltySpitoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
November 29, 2012, 07:17:11 PM

What does being a moderator give you in terms of special powers?

* Can you see the IP address of posters and identify sock puppets?
No.
Please note that the answers I gave above are just the defaults. They can be changed if people believe that SaltySpitoon shouldn't have certain powers.

I hope theymos has enough brains to never turn IP reading for this salty person, I don't care how many posts were reported by this person. I am still very skeptical about salty with past events he/she/shemale clearly stated.

Shemale, and no, I don't get to see IPs. I just deal with general alt currency disputes, and hand anything major over to the global mods. I'm basically just a donator with a Staff title, that sees reports filed in the Alt Currency section and fixes minor disputes.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: