Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:44:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What really happened to Mtgox ?  (Read 1550 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6115

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 03:24:20 PM

ok , sometimes and when I'm on the economics section people keep saying that the price will go low because Mtgox coins will be dumped , on the other hand people say that they don't know where are the coins ... so how do you know that there is coins actually ?
Also , how you guys (users of Mtgox) don't know where are yours coins , I know that adresses on exchanges aren't the same as on the wallets however can't people track them for example ? I mean each one of you take his adress on his account , can't you see where the coins went or moved ? even small amounts u had 

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
techboy2

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 03:41:41 PM

Turnout out to be a really big Ponzi scam. All Ponzi schemes have to end one day.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 03:43:47 PM

Turnout out to be a really big Ponzi scam. All Ponzi schemes have to end one day.

That's not what I asked , I'm getting that part .
I'm asking how and why people  wasn't able to trace the coins that was stolen if they was controlling some of them when they got hacked  ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mcplums

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 03:47:12 PM

I too would like to know what happened.

Am I correct in thinking MK hasn't actually told anyone what happened? Why hasn't he?
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 05:15:47 PM

Some theories include that the total coins wasn't even real, as if they speculate that the total amount wasn't real or something along the lines.
I think that all of the stuff that the FBI got, is already or near being totally auctioned, so after they get rid of that there will be no more big sellouts of coins (unless a big whale decides to jump for some reason).

As for tracking them, I have no idea.. but the blockchain is public and is there for the law enforcers to investigate, but if the mixed the coins, then it gets really hard. But apparently they managed to trace the coins from the guy that ran Silk Road. Here is a nice read on the MTGOX incident:

http://blog.wizsec.jp/2015/04/the-missing-mtgox-bitcoins.html
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:31:46 PM

That's not what I asked , I'm getting that part .
I'm asking how and why people  wasn't able to trace the coins that was stolen if they was controlling some of them when they got hacked  ?

because the whole thing was orchestrated by a scammers, it was all in his control that's why

centralized system are the evil always, you can't give tons of money in the hands of a guy, at some point he will go out of his mind, and try to scam, it's always like that
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 07:53:11 PM

I find it pretty astonishing that there still hasn't been anything approaching a definitive answer. Even more so there's been little or no mention of the USD, EUR and JPY. That must've added up to a ton more than he's been exposed as helping himself to.

This shit about dumping stolen coins has been bubbling up forever. Some of the best theories reckon that if there was an actual coin theft it happened in 2011. If that is the case then I applaud the patience of the thieves if they're still dumping on us four whole years later.

Until there are some proper answers it'll keep on getting revived as the cause to much of our woes.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 08:12:48 PM

Maybe a big, fat scumbag still controls them. Today there was also an article how he (Karpeles) has spent a lot of money on the prostitutes so there you have it.

It is weird though that no trail has been left. I mean it's a blockchain and everything should be recorded and it is available to everyone to see. Moreover, this was an event with huge interest of the people all around the world. It's amazing how none of the enthusiasts, bitcoiners, etc, hasn't caught any trails of the missing coins.
zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:16:19 AM

well the CEO somehow "snatched" the bitcoin out of the exchange hot and cold wallet and claimed that it was hacked. He is the CEO he got the trick to spread it away without being noticed. We can track where that amount is going but the point is what can we do now
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 12:47:30 AM

What really happened to Mtgox ?

TTMNewsMJ

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 01:36:35 AM

Can you explain what really happened??
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 06:33:13 AM

well the CEO somehow "snatched" the bitcoin out of the exchange hot and cold wallet and claimed that it was hacked. He is the CEO he got the trick to spread it away without being noticed. We can track where that amount is going but the point is what can we do now

Well if it's the case and you can track the address then it wouldn't be hard for intelligence agencies or something to track and get the IP I believe from where it was spent (if it was spent )

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 07:35:47 AM

Well if it's the case and you can track the address then it wouldn't be hard for intelligence agencies or something to track and get the IP I believe from where it was spent (if it was spent )

He would probably take all kinds of measures to ensure anonimity on this one. He wouldn't risk getting picked up away from behind his pc, just because he was moving some of the coins.

Probably TOR, internetcafe, altcoins and mixers will do the trick just fine for him to get away before the tracking can be completed.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 10:17:20 AM

Can you explain what really happened??

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2892892/one-year-later-were-no-closer-to-finding-mtgoxs-missing-millions.html

big amount of bitcoin were missed, probably stolen by who was running the website
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 02:06:56 PM

Most bitcoins are never spent even now. Back in the days of gox it was even harder to buy something with your coins, so my guess is the coins were mixed and are stored on numerous addresses. You can trace it, but you still won't know who owns them, just like many other addresses used for scams in bitcoin history.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Corealz

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 03:19:32 PM

The coins, mine included, were stolen by an autistic fat man living in Japan.  Angry
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 03:25:02 PM

The coins, mine included, were stolen by an autistic fat man living in Japan.  Angry
It is not so simple. Trial of Karpeles is in motion in Japan now. I hope Japan authorities will bring out the truth from him and we will finally know what really happened.
Vast majority of Mt. Gox are still not touched. She there is still slim shadow of hope for people.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2015, 03:27:44 PM

If it's on multiple addresses like some people just stated , does that means that Mark could be actually spending some of the Mtgox money without anyone knowing about it ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 30, 2015, 02:06:25 AM

I assume all his finances are being watched like a hawk so it would be pretty tough to sell coins and get his hands on the proceeds. Considering how obtuse the entire thing has been I guess it's definitely possible.
Coinminer11

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

Never risk more than what you're willing to lose

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2015, 05:00:38 PM

What happened was people trusted their private keys to a scumbag imho. Most ponzi operators go through great lengths to hide their activities.  As mentioned earlier mixers and trading for alts and constant new wallets to mixers again could prove daunting to trace. 

If you are reading this,  you have too much time on your hands hahaha! If you're still reading this consider sending me some btc to my wallet on my profile.  Pennies make dollars and dollars make my life more interesting.  Seriously though stop reading this! LOL
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: