Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:17:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst programming font ever  (Read 2669 times)
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 05:49:17 PM

I probably won't use this font...

I don't know how to reply to such a statement. Befuddling.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caffeinewriter

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:20:52 PM

I never thought I'd ever use the Dvorak keyboard layout, but I'm currently learning it right now. So I may use it at some point, but for now I'll stick with Courier New.

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:36:45 PM

So I may use it at some point.

Why? Your choice in keyboards does not answer why you would consider this font.
myrkul

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:40:29 PM

For those of us apparently lacking in the ability to parse an analogy:
Dvorak Keyboard: Difficult to learn, may increase productivity once learned.
"Programmers' font": Difficult to learn, may increase productivity once learned.

I'll stick with both QWERTY and Inconsolata, thanks.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:41:10 PM

So I may use it at some point.

Why? Your choice in keyboards does not answer why you would consider this font.

Because this font does have qualities that makes it more readable than some other fonts. It has a learning curve, but once past that, it could be more readable than any other font.

For those of us apparently lacking in the ability to parse an analogy:
"Programmers' font": Difficult to learn, may increase productivity once learned.

That works Tongue

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:45:30 PM

For those of us apparently lacking in the ability to who can parse an analogy:
"Programmers' font": Difficult to learn, may increase productivity, but upon looking at it, is most likely to decrease productivity once if learned.

Fixed that for you.

Hence:

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:49:38 PM

"Programmers' font": Difficult to learn, may increase productivity, but upon looking at it, is most likely to decrease productivity once if learned.

In the sample program he provided, I find the middle section (the bulk of the code) to be impressively readable even at a quick glance.

Huh

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:52:02 PM

In the sample program he provided, I find the middle section (the bulk of the code) to be impressively readable even at a quick glance.

Huh

Complete and utter sarcasm. How could it have been anything else?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 06:53:44 PM

Huh

Coming from you, I never know...

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:00:52 PM

Huh

Coming from you, I never know...

It's good to keep people guessing.

As an aside, here's a beautiful and famous film for you that is anti-war, anti-nationalist, and anti-fascist. Don't miss out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNl2IbVJMs
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 07:05:27 PM

As an aside, here's a beautiful and famous film for you that is anti-war, anti-nationalist, and anti-fascist. Don't miss out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWNl2IbVJMs

Dude, what is it with you and Japanese movies? You're like a fucking hipster or something.

caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:19:28 PM

Fixed that for you.

Hence:

*Sigh* I'll just go find food and coffee.

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:23:55 PM

Dude, what is it with you and Japanese movies? You're like a fucking hipster or something.

Not to derail the thread, but this needs to be answered, here and now. It has nothing to do with hipsterism. You are completely missing the point. We're all aware of Hollywood films. No need to recommend films which people are aware of. As for Japanese films, most are aware of the Samurai films, the monster films, and likely the gangster films. That's how a lot of the public visualize Japanese cinama. But there's another class of Japanese films that most, such as yourself, are unaware of, and yet are not just considered great Japanese films, but are ranked as some of the greatest films ever made worldwide. Yet so many are unaware of them. Do yourself a big favor, and stop resisting because the messenger is me. As an example, the above recommended film (Twenty-four Eyes) is very powerful. You should experience films by the following Japanese directors: Yasujiro Ozu (Late Spring, Early Summer), Mikio Naruse (When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, Floating Clouds), Kenji Mizoguchi (Ugetso, Street of Shame), Masahiro Shinoda (Pale Flower), Hiroshi Teshigahara (Woman of the Dunes, The Face of Another) and Keisuke Kinoshita (Twenty-four Eyes). And from Tawain: Edward Yang (Yi Yi, A Brighter Summer Day). And from Hong Kong: Wong Kar-Wai (In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express, Days of Being Wild, 2046). And many others.

Ignore them at the risk of never discovering something wonderful. You don't know until you try. Post in the film thread, and continue this discussion. You're invited to debate me, argue with me, post your opinions, post your reviews, or learn more about these films. Give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose, and possibly something to gain.
caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:25:25 PM

Not to derail the thread, but this needs to be answered, here and now. It has nothing to do with hipsterism. You are completely missing the point. We're all aware of Hollywood films. No need to recommend films which people are aware of. As for Japanese films, most are aware of the Samurai films, the monster films, and likely the gangster films. That's how a lot of the public visualize Japanese cinama. But there's another class of Japanese films that most, such as yourself, are unaware of, and yet are not just considered great Japanese films, but are ranked as some of the greatest films ever made worldwide. Yet so many are unaware of them. Do yourself a big favor, and stop resisting because the messenger is me. As an example, the above recommended film (Twenty-four Eyes) is very powerful. You should experience films by the following Japanese directors: Yasujiro Ozu (Late Spring, Early Summer), Mikio Naruse (When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, Floating Clouds), Kenji Mizoguchi (Ugetso, Street of Shame), Masahiro Shinoda (Pale Flower), Hiroshi Teshigahara (Woman of the Dunes, The Face of Another) and Keisuke Kinoshita (Twenty-four Eyes). And from Tawain: Edward Yang (Yi Yi, A Brighter Summer Day). And from Hong Kong: Wong Kar-Wai (In the Mood for Love, Chungking Express, Days of Being Wild, 2046). And many others.

Ignore them at the risk of never discovering something wonderful. You don't know until you try. Post in the film thread, and continue this discussion. You're invited to debate me, argue with me, post your opinions, post your reviews, or learn more about these films. Give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose, and possibly something to gain.

Dude, that was frickin' beautiful!

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 07:33:57 PM

You make a good point. Yes, there is more world culture out there. Hollywood is not the only place they make good movies. While the trailer for 24 eyes told me almost nothing about the movie, the description was sufficient to get me interested. Just do me this one favor? Next movie you suggest, go elsewhere than the land of the rising sun. Bollywood, maybe.

caffeinewriter

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:37:19 PM

You make a good point. Yes, there is more world culture out there. Hollywood is not the only place they make good movies. While the trailer for 24 eyes told me almost nothing about the movie, the description was sufficient to get me interested. Just do me this one favor? Next movie you suggest, go elsewhere than the land of the rising sun. Bollywood, maybe.

Frankly, I find most big budget Hollywood movies relatively shitty. Tongue And I would enjoy seeing more films posted Smiley

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 07:40:26 PM

Frankly, I find most big budget Hollywood movies relatively shitty. Tongue And I would enjoy seeing more films posted Smiley

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_Law

(I've seen some really good indie and fan films, too... so even in America, Hollywood ain't the only place to go)

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 07:43:42 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_Law

(I've seen some really good indie and fan films, too... so even in America, Hollywood ain't the only place to go)

I have a monster film thread. Please, post there. All discussion is welcome: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109868.0
Buffer Overflow (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:16:19 PM

Here's a nice article on programming fonts.

http://hivelogic.com/articles/top-10-programming-fonts

FirstAscent

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 08:51:51 PM

Just do me this one favor? Next movie you suggest, go elsewhere than the land of the rising sun. Bollywood, maybe.

This doesn't make much sense. A partial reply is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=109868.msg1326747#msg1326747
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: