Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:10:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin community & "sheeple" and the "impending economic meltdown"  (Read 416 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 06:28:29 PM

I've been seeing this so often now, a quick flick through my posting history will show that I am getting quite bored of this.

What is the Bitcoin community's obsession with calling people who aren't invested into Bitcoin "sheeple" and rattling on about how the US dollar is going to collapse, how the world economy is going to meltdown, how Bitcoin will be the only currency left yada yada yada. Granted considering this stuff mainly happens in the Economics section of the forum it may not be the most high quality slice of the community, but it's still significant enough to make me raise an eyebrow.

We aren't going to get anyone on our side by calling them sheeple and rattling on like cult members. These people in the Bitcoin community need to get a grip.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:44:21 PM

you also forgot the collection of people who call themselves bitcoiners. but only hold $20 worth and only care about a price rise so their $20 turns into $300,000
you know the people..
they are the ones sitting on their hands doing nothing, waiting for other people to actually get bitcoin rolling. kind of like there are some weird shadow community of working people that are paid by the bitcoin ceo (yea it dont exist) and its this shadow community that does all the work and everyone else gets to sit down and have a suntan waiting for the day millions of free satoshis rain down on them.

if only each person that moans and rants. balances their rant with a positive physical action that benefits the community.

i personally have helped many businesses get into bitcoin, many people. i have invested in projects, etc.

i think people need to seriously realise that just holding $20 of bitcoin is meaningless. it gives you no special power to become lazy and arrogent..
if you want to be a bitcoiner. do something positive, find 5 people in your area that uses bitcoin. talk to them and find out what shops you all frequent. and get that local store to accept your bitcoins.
then get a group of interested people to come along and then show them how easy it is to send bitcoin.

if every single user actually got a business or friend interested in bitcoin, then there would be no need to rant

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2015, 06:53:00 PM

You are absolutely correct.

I don't hold, I earn and spend. Holding is meaningless unless you seek to make profit, it has no real positive impact on the Bitcoin economy other than decreasing the supply - but that effect is tiny. Actually earning and spending Bitcoin is 100x better than just holding it as it increases adoption and popularity. Sitting here talking about sheeple and waiting to make millions off Bitcoin doesn't help, it sets us back.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
October 28, 2015, 06:57:53 PM

I share your opinion. Even though I think that the near future will be very rocky for the financial world I don't think that dollar will dissappear and that Euro will collapse, etc. Yes, we might have another financial crisis but they come and go.

I always keep repeating in my posts that we don't need the current financial system to collapse in order for Bitcoin to be successful. Also, Bitcoin can coexist with the current financial tools and can have a slice of the world's financial pie. Bitcoin technology is so powerful and capable of doing this even if Fiat doesn't collapse.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: