Bitcoin Forum
August 03, 2024, 12:16:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bitcoin Game *Robit Coin Raiser*  (Read 1516 times)
BTCGameMaker (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 06:00:39 PM

So let me preface this with a brief disclaimer.  I think Bitcoins are awesome and every time I come back to take a look at what's going on I'm amazed by all the cool new stuff happening in the community, but I don't spend nearly as much time here as the many you that are really dedicated to Bitcoins.  So if it seems like I'm missing something, feel free to clue me in.  That being said whenever I'm working on a project I try to look at ways to incorporate Bitcoins, and I found a way to incorporate them into my latest project.

The project is an online social game where a you lead your character, Robit, through a custom maze to find Bitcoins and reach the end point.  Also players are able to make custom mazes to share with their friends.  For all you hard core gamers, prepare to be very underwhelmed.  The game play isn't very sophisticated and the demo graphics that are in the game right now make 8 bit look good.  That being said it's a social game so the entertainment is more challenging your friends than burning up your graphics card.

You can check out the demo of the game at http://socialrosity.com/robit_demo/. Your Beta testing, comments, questions, etc. are appreciated.  Also anyone that has some recommendations on graphics, I'm very open to suggestions.  I can follow a Photoshop tutorial like it's cool, but character and setting design aren't necessarily one of my strengths.

For anyone interested in promoting Bitcoins, and I assume most of you are, you'd probably agree that putting the Bitcoin image in a game is nice and all but when they have no real correlation to the way actual Bitcoins work the promotional benefit is weak at best.  I agree.  This is where Phase 3 comes in.

Phase 3 of development for Robit Coin Raiser involves creating real world missions that players complete to gain upgrades in the game.  For example when going through a maze you must find all the Bitcoins before the end point appears and you can complete the mission.  The default number of Bitcoins a player can put into a maze they design is 2, but by completing missions they can get upgrades that would allow them to increase that number up to say 5 Bitcoins per maze.

These real world missions could be things like watching a YouTube video, liking something on Facebook, or putting a tweet on Twitter.  Or in the case of Bitcoins, setting up a wallet, getting some free Bitcoins, and sending them to the game.  The end result is easily trackable.  Send .0001 BTC or whatever to the game and get the upgrade.  There are already services that offer free Bitcoins to get people started.  For the mission we'd just direct people to one of these sites, and then donate back the BTCs we get so it creates a continual loop.  Obviously some people will just complete the mission and never think about Bitcoins again.  But if the mission before it is watching a video about Bitcoins, a certain percentage of people will get interested and get involved.

This is still in the development phase, but I full expect to be able to have Phase 2 (see the demo site) completed before Thanksgiving and maybe have a couple of missions completed before the end of the year.  So I'm interested in what those of you much more involved with Bitcoins think and any suggestions you might have.  Thanks.
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 10:06:28 PM

For all you hard core gamers, prepare to be very underwhelmed.  The game play isn't very sophisticated and the demo graphics that are in the game right now make 8 bit look good.

do i need to install java to use this?
BTCGameMaker (OP)

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:19:49 PM

Yeah.  It's an applet.  I'm looking at transferring it to a javascript format in the future though.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:25:32 AM

the demo graphics that are in the game right now make 8 bit look good.
8bit already does look good ;_;

hi
daybyter
Legendary

Activity: 965

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 01:00:47 PM

I'm a Java coder and did some Javascript development recently. I would reconsider my decision to port this stuff to JS. I'm not too happy with JS, which might have to do with the fact, that my machine + my browser is on the slow side.

Maybe a Java app with Java webstart would be an option? And then Android of course. Mobile apps are booming as I see it...

BTCGameMaker (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 12:45:49 AM

Mushroomized, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Daybyter, I actually already ported it all to JS.  The map design demo is already up and the game play demo will be up shortly.

For the web JS has the advantage of being cached which makes the initial load time faster for every load after the first.  People don't like waiting for something to happen so this is an advantage.  Also some people seem to be having trouble getting the applet to load.  That being said I appreciate the feedback.  I was originally just going to port it, but now I'll probably use both and let players decide which they choose to play on.  I used Processing to write the game and Processing.JS to port it to Javascript so from a development standpoint it's not a lot of extra work.  I don't know what Java webstart is so I'll have to look into that as an option.

As for mobile, Processing is supposedly useable for Android apps but I haven't looked at it yet.  The problem is the way the game is designed now it follows a mouse and uses the space bar to stop.  I'm not sure I could find a way to do something similar for mobile devices.  I'm going to have to look into it more and see what my options are.
daybyter
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:31:07 PM

I think, there are several JS frameworks for mobiles now. If you have ported your stuff already to JS, look for them...here is one of them: http://www.appcelerator.com/

BTCGameMaker (OP)

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 07:23:32 PM

Daybyter, thanks for the info.  I'll take a look.

Also the JS version of the game play is now up.
daybyter
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 07:42:53 PM

Looks good! Runs fast even on my slow machine!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: